Finally had enough of Windows 10, so what next?

Jake.E20
On 31-3-2018 at 9:41 PM, Enderman said:

It's not hard to go into your admin tools and disable the update service.

It's not impossible to do, just harder than before.

Which is good, because way too many uninformed people disable updates because "it's inconvenient".

PS- the fact that you use Windows means it is not "your PC" anymore. Read the terms and conditions. You LICENSE the software, you do not own the software.

windows button + r   > services.msc  > windows update > rightclick properties > disable > reboot

same shit as always... ( It's not impossible to do, just harder than before.  )   really? -.- no

(◑‿◐)

14 hours ago, kirashi said:

If you browse the web in any way shape or form, you're being tracked, even if you have an AdBlocker installed. I block ads to speed up my web browsing, as some news sites take 5x as long to load with ads enabled, but could care less about tracking data since it's going to happen whether I like it or not. You can disconnect from the internet, but then you have to worry about the government and banks / credit card issuers tracking your spending habits instead, so really, you'd have to become a bushwhacker to not be tracked in our digital world.

If you have a job and buy things then you're going to pay taxes whether you like it or not. Does that mean you should give all your money to the government and not care about it? No.

If you drive a car, then you're going to have to deal with maintenance on your vehicle. Does that mean that you shouldn't take care of your car? No.

If you're going to watch TV with ads anyway, does that mean you might as well just switch to a 24-hour ad channel and leave it running on your TV at all times? No.

If you're going to invite someone over to your house once, does that mean you might as well give them a key and let themselves come and go as they please? No.

The same thing applies with personal data collected through your PC usage.

And there's a big difference between data that is collected while you visit other people's sites online and data that is collected from your privately-owned and personal offline OS space.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

7 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

If you have a job and buy things then you're going to pay taxes whether you like it or not. Does that mean you should give all your money to the government and not care about it? No.

If you drive a car, then you're going to have to deal with maintenance on your vehicle. Does that mean that you shouldn't take care of your car? No.

If you're going to watch TV with ads anyway, does that mean you might as well just switch to a 24-hour ad channel and leave it running on your TV at all times? No.

If you're going to invite someone over to your house once, does that mean you might as well give them a key and let themselves come and go as they please? No.

The same thing applies with personal data collected through your PC usage.

And there's a big difference between data that is collected while you visit other people's sites online and data that is collected from your privately-owned and personal offline OS space.

Apologies if it sounded like I meant we shouldn't care about our data privacy; that wasn't my intention at all. What I meant was that until companies are legally obligated to provide fully transparent access to every piece of data they collect, us users have little to no recourse aside from simply not using the service. I fully agree that even (especially?) banks and credit card companies should be transparent with the data they collect and how they use it to deliver targeted credit limit increases or whatever other junk they're peddling these days, providing consumers the option to refuse their data being used in this manner.

We do have to be careful though, because at some point a company is going to come along and straight up say "Our terms of use require that your data is used in XYZ fashion. You can opt out of this by not using the service." which is completely legal for them to do, since they're still following CANSPAM, GDPR, and other data privacy compliance laws by providing you a way to opt out and delete your data from the service. As a consumer, I don't want this to be the case, but it's technically the same thing as a consumer choosing a different brand of TV, car, dishwasher, etc. because they don't like the way XYZ brand does ABC with their products.

The only way I see this happening though is if a non-profit organization forms an unbiased accounts & authentication system with an API that services use for user registration and unification of complete data control. Having seen and worked with API's in web development, I know this is possible from a technical standpoint, but to actually get all services to use the API is an entirely different story. Facebook's done it with their ad platform by having so many users on the site that advertisers can't really say no, even though advertisers never see any specific user data. (Unless those users install an app that made it past the screening process... ahem)

I'm 100% in support of complete control of our user data; we're just not there yet.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2018 at 1:02 PM, DrMacintosh said:

AMD gives Linux drivers but other than moving to Linux you only other option is to turn your rig into a Hackintosh (though we cannot discuss how to do that on this forum) 

Your CPU simply will not work with older versions of Windows. 

As if Apple doesn’t harvest your user data and your mind like Microsoft. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Switch to Linux, but don’t use ubuntu(they used to harvest your data and sell them to amazon)

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 minute ago, wasab said:

As if Apple doesn’t harvest your user data and your mind like Microsoft. 

Well they don't so.....

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Well they don't so.....

They do. Siri is constantly watching you....

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 minute ago, wasab said:

They do. Siri is constantly watching you....

It listens for a key word from your voice, and if you don't believe that you can turn off "Hey, Siri"

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

25 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

It listens for a key word from your voice, and if you don't believe that you can turn off "Hey, Siri"

What I want is to nuke Siri completely. Can I do that? Hell no. I want to nuke Cortana completely on windows too. Why do Microsoft and Apple install creepy spy bots on your machine that you can’t remove?? Disabling them means nothing. They are still there. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

9 minutes ago, wasab said:

What I want is to nuke Siri completely. Can I do that? Hell no. I want to nuke Cortana completely on windows too. Why do Microsoft and Apple install creepy spy bots on your machine that you can’t remove?? Disabling them means nothing. They are still there. 

Wanna disable Siri?

Settings> general> restrictions> Siri & Dictation> turn off Siri

8 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Wanna disable Siri?

Settings> general> restrictions> Siri & Dictation> turn off Siri

I want to UNINSTALL Siri.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Just now, wasab said:

I want to UNINSTALL Siri.

That is not a thing. You cant remove parts of the OS that you don't like. Its not like virtual assistants are some folder you can just delete. 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

That is not a thing. You cant remove parts of the OS that you don't like. Its not like virtual assistants are some folder you can just delete. 

Everything is a folder, macOS is no different. You just can’t delete them.

i need something like the Linux equivalent of apt-get purge and sudo rm -rf *siri* 

I should have to power to delete any software and install any software I like. On Linux, i can uninstall the entire desktop enviorment and even replaces its default kernel if I want to.

Big corporation just wants to screw you with their proprietary softwares.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

4 minutes ago, wasab said:

Everything is a folder, macOS is no different. You just can’t delete them.

i need something like the Linux equivalent of apt-get purge and sudo rm -rf *siri* 

I should have to power to delete any software and install any software I like. On Linux, i can uninstall the entire desktop enviorment and even replaces its default kernel if I want to.

Big corporation just wants to screw you with their proprietary softwares.

Yep, hit the nail right on the head with that.