So about VPNs...

Go to solution Solved by orbitalbuzzsaw,
12 minutes ago, Tolmoli said:

What about NordVPN, it looks to be on of the best/cheaper ones.
Is it worth it?

It looks pretty good. PIA or NordVPN are both excellent

I've been wondering since I don't have money to spare on a paid VPN service, how good are some of the free options out there?
I'm using Betternet right now and I'm happy with it but I really wanted to hear some of you guys opinions

Thanks.

T U N N E L B E A R ! (not really)

Cyberghost free isn't terrible, but again they're based in US/CA so keep that in mind.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

It really depends on what you need the VPN for. If you're going for security or privacy, any free VPN will basically be useless or even worse than having no VPN. You can almost guarantee that if a VPN is free they're making money by making you the product - they're probably selling your data or at the very least keeping extensive logs on everything you do. If you don't really care about that and are just trying to bypass a firewall or mask your IP, I've used windscribe in the past and they have 10 GB of free data, which is a pretty good deal for the speeds they offer.

3 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

T U N N E L B E A R ! (not really)

Cyberghost free isn't terrible, but again they're based in US/CA so keep that in mind.

Tunnelbear is gone.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Just now, Rasbir Singh said:

Tunnelbear is gone.

Tunnelbear is definitely still there, just not sponsoring LTT anymore.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

you could try windscribe if you dont use vpns that much, speeds are that good but you get 10gb a month free,

also if youre on a phone too, you can use an app called turbo vpn which i use for school blocks , works nicely

I edit my messages often. Please refresh for the latest message.

I am not always on the same thread. Tag or Quote me to get my attention.

Remember to Mark the solution to help others in the future.

SFF

CPU: R7 3700x

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x570-i

RAM: Corsair vengeance 64GB 3200MHz CL16

Cooler: Asetek 645LT

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 AERO

Case: Dan Case A4

Storage: 2TB Sabrent (PCI-E 3.0) - Windows

Storage: 1TB Crucial P5 Plus (PCIE 4.0) - Fedora

Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO (SATA) - Steam

1 minute ago, bob51zhang said:

Tunnelbear is definitely still there, just not sponsoring LTT anymore.

True. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

But is it worth it to get a VPN if you just use your pc at home and you're not too worried about your service provider?
Does everyone here use one?

6 minutes ago, Tolmoli said:

But is it worth it to get a VPN if you just use your pc at home and you're not too worried about your service provider?

It's worth using one if you have a reason to use one, and depending on that reason a free VPN will suffice or it won't.

6 minutes ago, Tolmoli said:

Does everyone here use one?

Most certainly not, but that shouldn't have too much weight in your own decision.

Do not settle for free VPNs or those one time payment lifetime VPNs. Their business model is unsustainable hence they either show you ads or sell your personal data to the highest bidder not to mention these lifetime/free VPNs typically have a crappy implementation of encryption and can be subject to IPv6 leaks and WebRTC leaks.

If all you care about is security and increased privacy, then PIA which is currently LTT's latest sponsor might be good for you but if you're travelling to countries with geoblocking like China or would want to access US Netflix or BBC iPlayer, then PIA is not your best bet. I'm currently using PrivateVPN ($50/year, 56 countries) or ExpressVPN ($100/year, 94 countries).

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Is it worth it?

PIA is good and pretty cheap.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

12 minutes ago, Tolmoli said:

Is it worth it?

It looks pretty good. PIA or NordVPN are both excellent

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

I have Nord and its good. There is also ProtonVPN that provides a free tier of their VPN but it's probably pretty slow. If privacy is why you want a VPN then I don't recommend a US based vpn like PIA or a VPN within any of the 14 eyes even.

Some good information about VPN's and providers (Some data might not be up to date.):

https://www.privacytools.io/#ukusa

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-comparison-chart/