Mackie MR824-8" Powered Studio Monitors?

Ripper7620

Any insight that could be provided on these monitors would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

I imagine they'd be pretty good. I have the CR5BT's and I quite like them.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, Ripper7620 said:

Any insight that could be provided on these monitors would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

I personally would recommend a pair of the Yamaha HS8 over Mackie. Yamaha has already proven their amazing performance for such a low price, and I don't know If I would recommend anything else under $500/ea for Monitors.

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

1 hour ago, Brink2Three said:

I personally would recommend a pair of the Yamaha HS8 over Mackie. Yamaha has already proven their amazing performance for such a low price, and I don't know If I would recommend anything else under $500/ea for Monitors.

Thank you for the reply, I passed on the HS8's because of the lack of true bass representation on them, but dammit, they matched my desks perfectly!!

11 minutes ago, Ripper7620 said:

Thank you for the reply, I passed on the HS8's because of the lack of true bass representation on them, but dammit, they matched my desks perfectly!!

"Lack of true bass representation"

AKA, the kick drum didn't knock me over so it's not loud enough. /s

Seriously though, Studio monitors are meant to provide an accurate recreation of instruments. (When recorded and played back properly.) So while it may sound like less bass then your car stereo, that is probably because it is a more accurately balanced playback of the music then your car speakers. 

And until I can find an actual frequency response chart for the MR824, I can't recommend them. 

Though if you really want bass, just buy a pair of HS5 and a subwoofer like PreSonus' Tremblor or the HS8S from Yamaha. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

5 hours ago, Brink2Three said:

"Lack of true bass representation"

AKA, the kick drum didn't knock me over so it's not loud enough. /s

Seriously though, Studio monitors are meant to provide an accurate recreation of instruments. (When recorded and played back properly.) So while it may sound like less bass then your car stereo, that is probably because it is a more accurately balanced playback of the music then your car speakers. 

And until I can find an actual frequency response chart for the MR824, I can't recommend them. 

Though if you really want bass, just buy a pair of HS5 and a subwoofer like PreSonus' Tremblor or the HS8S from Yamaha. 

I've talked with a couple of people who've had the HS8's, and they said after using them to mix down with, and listening to the results afterwards, there was an over abundance of bass in the mix because they were compensating for the lack of bass response in the HS8's. However they're awfully tempting none the less because of how well the white ones match my desks.

P.S. The HS8's would be an awesome choice in combination with a more bass responsive monitors, or even HS6's in combination with more bass rich monitors, just because of the quality of sound.

15 hours ago, Ripper7620 said:

I've talked with a couple of people who've had the HS8's, and they said after using them to mix down with, and listening to the results afterwards, there was an over abundance of bass in the mix because they were compensating for the lack of bass response in the HS8's. However they're awfully tempting none the less because of how well the white ones match my desks.

P.S. The HS8's would be an awesome choice in combination with a more bass responsive monitors, or even HS6's in combination with more bass rich monitors, just because of the quality of sound.

Again, if you're concerned with lack of bass, get HS5 or HS6's and get a sub. Enable rolloff on the desktop monitors and let the sub roll. :D

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"

8 hours ago, Brink2Three said:

Again, if you're concerned with lack of bass, get HS5 or HS6's and get a sub. Enable rolloff on the desktop monitors and let the sub roll. :D

I concur, that's a great solution for somebody else, but unfortunately, that would get me evicted. Would be a dope setup though.

This is my current setup as of recently, and I was wondering if anyone else has the Mackie MR824 monitors, and how well they perform for mixing down? I’m still waiting on my patch cables in order to be able to try them out. In particular, I’m interested in any tricks, settings etc, in order to get the most out of these monitors. Unfortunately I live in an apartment,so I’m limited as to the volume level I can work with. Are there any tricks I need to know in order to mix successfully at lower volumes? Thank you in advance for any insight you may be able to provide, and I’m sorry about the horrible cable management, ill straighten that out after I recieve my patch cables. I’m including a picture of my current setup:

0764A5D9-0282-4FC1-AD6B-2DB82822E47F.jpeg

A better question, why did you feel the need to go for a clarett over a scarlett? Unless you're using the ADAT inputs (which you're not) you could have saved ~£250 (or whatever that converts to in whichever colony you're in) and not noticed a difference.

34 minutes ago, anothertom said:

A better question, why did you feel the need to go for a clarett over a scarlett? Unless you're using the ADAT inputs (which you're not) you could have saved ~£250 (or whatever that converts to in whichever colony you're in) and not noticed a difference.

I tried the USB 2 option for the hell of it, the USB type C just sounds better.

Hmmm this seems familiar.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

31 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Hmmm this seems familiar.

Thank you for the reply, yes that’s my first post, and now they’ve arrived. Just trying to get started, and could use any help, or recommendations on using this particular monitor. I’m still waiting on patch cables, which will arrive Monday.

11 hours ago, Ripper7620 said:

This is my current setup as of recently, and I was wondering if anyone else has the Mackie HR824 monitors, and how well they perform for mixing down? I’m still waiting on my patch cables in order to be able to try them out. In particular, I’m interested in any tricks, settings etc, in order to get the most out of these monitors. Unfortunately I live in an apartment,so I’m limited as to the volume level I can work with. Are there any tricks I need to know in order to mix successfully at lower volumes? Thank you in advance for any insight you may be able to provide, and I’m sorry about the horrible cable management, ill straighten that out after I recieve my patch cables. I’m including a picture of my current setup:

How big is that screen? It makes the 8" look like a 5". Also do you mean MR or HR, you write both throughout the topic and there is a fair bit of difference between the two. I personally find a 8" too big for a close up mixing and so does the studio people I have talked to. I personally like a 6-6.5" woofer.

8" always seem too boomy or give the representation of too much bass for me, like I would maybe get 8" if the speakers were like placed/mounted a few meters away from me.

If you want to get a good mix, then I would recommend first getting a measurement microphone, measure your speakers reponse in your room and EQ it as close to flat as you can. You also need to be able to hear everything in the mix, so you can't play it at too low volumes, but this also doesn't mean that you need to blast it, a set of very detailed headphones will also be able to help you find the small flaws. So what I probably would do if I were you, mix on the speakers until you think it sounds good on them, then try to listen to the mix with detailed headphones to see if there is any noise or distortion that you missed or if there is something weird in the mix and then correct the flaws, then listen to it on the speakers again and repeat this until you think the mix is perfect. After you think the mix is perfect, then maybe ask someone else to listen to it 

Also symmetry is key for a good speaker setup

Ofc gear can't suddenly make you good at mixing ;) 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Unless your getting speakers with new materials like kevlar, id go 70's hifi with something like Jbl 4312A or 4312B and a carver m1.0t amp. Its almost indistinguishable from a tube amp in slewrate.

I dont think powered monitors are a good idea, youll get a better slew rate and dampening with an older class-A amp. Which means more accurate sound. But id add a pair of yamaha ns10ms to any pair of modern powered monitors you buy.

Just always replace your caps and pots.

8 hours ago, Dackzy said:

How big is that screen? It makes the 8" look like a 5". Also do you mean MR or HR, you write both throughout the topic and there is a fair bit of difference between the two. I personally find a 8" too big for a close up mixing and so does the studio people I have talked to. I personally like a 6-6.5" woofer.

8" always seem too boomy or give the representation of too much bass for me, like I would maybe get 8" if the speakers were like placed/mounted a few meters away from me.

If you want to get a good mix, then I would recommend first getting a measurement microphone, measure your speakers reponse in your room and EQ it as close to flat as you can. You also need to be able to hear everything in the mix, so you can't play it at too low volumes, but this also doesn't mean that you need to blast it, a set of very detailed headphones will also be able to help you find the small flaws. So what I probably would do if I were you, mix on the speakers until you think it sounds good on them, then try to listen to the mix with detailed headphones to see if there is any noise or distortion that you missed or if there is something weird in the mix and then correct the flaws, then listen to it on the speakers again and repeat this until you think the mix is perfect. After you think the mix is perfect, then maybe ask someone else to listen to it 

Also symmetry is key for a good speaker setup

Ofc gear can't suddenly make you good at mixing ;) 

Thank you for the feedback. I did mean I have MR824's, sorry for the confusion on my part.

28 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Unless your getting speakers with new materials like kevlar, id go 70's hifi with something like Jbl 4312A or 4312B and a carver m1.0t amp. Its almost indistinguishable from a tube amp in slewrate.

I dont think powered monitors are a good idea, youll get a better slew rate and dampening with an older class-A amp. Which means more accurate sound. But id add a pair of yamaha ns10ms to any pair of modern powered monitors you buy.

Just always replace your caps and pots.

Thank you for your input, much appreciated.