My new SSD won't boot

cyanit
Go to solution Solved by cyanit,

Today I came home from school and ran through everything again, just got the error, old windows or windows installer.

Then I had an idea:

I unplugged the power cable of my PC, I unplugged everything from the mainboard that could be booted from and turned on my pc.

UEFI came up, no boot order (hence the missing devices). I also turned on "Hot-Plug" on SATA port 2 and exited WITH saving.

Then I plugged in the SSD into SATA-port 1 (because I red somewhere else that port 1 & 2 are directly connected to the CPU and that this can make a difference) and turned on the PC.

And it worked.

Plugged in my HDD, but its not recognized on my "new" windows. Now im gonna make a bootable USB with Linux and solve it from there.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I forgot to do what would be the first thing: eliminate all variables and reset everything on a low level.

Booting from the SSD first didn´t work, so why not remove the HDD physically....

Hello LTT community,

today my new SSD arrived.

My plan was to install W10 on it, claiming the old Windows and transfer the important stuff, then delete all partions of the HDD and make one NTFS partition for data.

So I plugged it in correcly, booted from my prepared USB stick, unplugged the onther drives and installed windows 10 and my needed programms on it.

So far so great.

Plugging in the old HDD for transferring my Data and rebooted (no hot plug enabled).
But when I rebooted, it booted ALWAYS to the old W10 on my HDD.
So, logically I just unplugged it again and restarted the PC to see if that was the problem.
But now I get an error: “No boot drive detected. Please plug in a boot drive and press any key.“

But since the SSD is shown in the Windows Installer, I know its plugged in and working!

Even the Installation worked flawlessly!

The SSD is even shown in the Bootmenu, but when I try booting from it, it's not working.

So what the heck is going on?!? 

I did everything (to my knowledge) right:
- unplugged the old HDD so its boot manager won't interfear with the new SSD
- booted the USB-Key in UEFI mode
- Set the bootorder correctly
- Windows 10 even worked

Config:
- ASRock Z97 Pro 4 Mainboard
- Crucial MX500 SSD (New, Windows 10 Pro)
- 2TB Seagate HDD (old, Windows 10 Pro)

The MX500 is on Sata lll-port 3, (in UEFI registered as SATA 3 SSD) but I took an old Sata cable, don't know if it's Sata3.

The HDD is on Sata lll-port 2, (in UEFI registered as SATA 3 HDD) and is working correctly.

(DvD is on port 1)

Boot order:
1. DvD
2. MX500
3. All below are deactivated.

But after a restart with my HDD attached it always changes to:
1. Windows Boot Manager
2. DvD
3. HDD
4. All below are deactivated

CPU Intel Core i5 4670, 3.4GHz Motherboard ASRock Z97 Pro4 RAM Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB, 1833Hz GPU AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB OC Case BeQuiet Silent Base 800 Storage Seagate ST2000DX001 SSDH  PSU BeQuiet PurePower L8, 400W Display(s) Samsung 2 x 22" Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3 Operating System Windows 10

After plugging in the HDD can you enter bios and change the boor priority list so that only the SSD is on it?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

yes, I did that too. But then I get the "No boot device [...]" error again, so in the end its the same result.

Pretty strange....

CPU Intel Core i5 4670, 3.4GHz Motherboard ASRock Z97 Pro4 RAM Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB, 1833Hz GPU AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB OC Case BeQuiet Silent Base 800 Storage Seagate ST2000DX001 SSDH  PSU BeQuiet PurePower L8, 400W Display(s) Samsung 2 x 22" Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3 Operating System Windows 10

Reinstall windows again

|| CPU: I7 6950X @4.6 (1.35V) || Cooler: CUSTOM EK LOOP || Motherboard: ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10

|| GPU: 2x Vega 64 Strix OC @1762 / 1100 MHz || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Royal RGB 3200 Mhz ||

HDD: Segate Barracuda 3TB || SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 512 GB || PSU: Corsair HX 1200 W || Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Gunmetal || Fans: Corsair HD120 (x4) / BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 (x4) || Monitor: ACER XF27HU ||

Second Monitor: BENQ RL2455HM || Mouse: Logitech G502 Pretus Core || Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum || Headphones: Sennheiser IE80 ||

Buildlog expirience swapping to x99: 

42 minutes ago, joshuawi99 said:

Reinstall windows again

Thanks for the advice, already did it twice. :)

And yes I did turn it off and on again.

This is so fn hilarious, I did all the common things bit it still doesn't work.

The most strange thing is that the Installation actually worked. I've set up windows, there has to be a way roo boot to the SSD without having to reinstall everything.

Maybe it gets confused by plugging in ur old HDD. What happens if you do not Plug in your old HDD after the installation?

|| CPU: I7 6950X @4.6 (1.35V) || Cooler: CUSTOM EK LOOP || Motherboard: ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10

|| GPU: 2x Vega 64 Strix OC @1762 / 1100 MHz || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Royal RGB 3200 Mhz ||

HDD: Segate Barracuda 3TB || SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 512 GB || PSU: Corsair HX 1200 W || Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Gunmetal || Fans: Corsair HD120 (x4) / BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 (x4) || Monitor: ACER XF27HU ||

Second Monitor: BENQ RL2455HM || Mouse: Logitech G502 Pretus Core || Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum || Headphones: Sennheiser IE80 ||

Buildlog expirience swapping to x99: 

1 hour ago, joshuawi99 said:

Maybe it gets confused by plugging in ur old HDD. What happens if you do not Plug in your old HDD after the installation?

in my first run I forgot to plug the HDD back in, so no, that dosnt work either :(

Maybe your computer is expecting that USB drive plugged into your computer to boot correctly?

Today I came home from school and ran through everything again, just got the error, old windows or windows installer.

Then I had an idea:

I unplugged the power cable of my PC, I unplugged everything from the mainboard that could be booted from and turned on my pc.

UEFI came up, no boot order (hence the missing devices). I also turned on "Hot-Plug" on SATA port 2 and exited WITH saving.

Then I plugged in the SSD into SATA-port 1 (because I red somewhere else that port 1 & 2 are directly connected to the CPU and that this can make a difference) and turned on the PC.

And it worked.

Plugged in my HDD, but its not recognized on my "new" windows. Now im gonna make a bootable USB with Linux and solve it from there.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I forgot to do what would be the first thing: eliminate all variables and reset everything on a low level.

Booting from the SSD first didn´t work, so why not remove the HDD physically....

40 minutes ago, cyanit said:

Then I had an idea:

And it worked.

Check in your boot settings in the BIOS for UEFI boot mode.  Try toggling that and see what happens.

Just now, JacobFW said:

Check in your boot settings in the BIOS for UEFI boot mode.  Try toggling that and see what happens.

Made a live Solus USB and deleted the boot partition of the "old" HDD. Isn´t perfect, but it works, because ill format and repartition the drive anyway.
And of curse I installed windows via UEFI :)