Advice on a small and quiet Linux build

Hello! I'm planning on building a Linux computer for a new desk set-up, and are looking for some advice on part choice. I haven't been very involved in the PC community for a while now, so I'm not caught up on current hardware. I'm really just looking for a competent, mid-range-ish build to run Linux on. I won't need a dedicated graphics card. Would like the build to have a focus on size and silence. Something mini-ITX (just a clean, attractive case) with light air-cooling or maybe even some passive would be nice. I don't really have a budget set, but it will probably be around a few hundred dollars (maybe $300 to $500?). No need to worry about peripherals either.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

I don't know about budget, but I'd look at the Ryzen 2200G or the 2400G. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

3 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

I would go for a NUC if you can find one at a good price.

Something like this.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16856102179

Just add memory, SSD, and HDD.

Have explored this option. Do prefer the idea of building a system though, for customization and trouble-shooting sake.

2 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I don't know about budget, but I'd look at the Ryzen 2200G or the 2400G. 

Thanks for the tip!

Just now, JGunnz said:

Have explored this option. Do prefer the idea of building a system though, for customization and trouble-shooting sake.

The nuc is bad price for the lack of components in it. An apu like @Jamiec1130 said would be perfect

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

Just now, hconverse02 said:

The nuc is bad price for the lack of components in it. An apu like @Jamiec1130 said would be perfect

Depends on the target size you are looking for.

I have not been impressed with AM4 ITX offerings yet, maybe B450 and X470 will change that.

Just now, KarathKasun said:

I have not been impressed with AM4 ITX offerings yet, maybe B450 and X470 will change that.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($162.89 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI (rev. 1.0) Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($77.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($86.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Cooler Master - Elite 110 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($38.89 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $486.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-26 19:45 EDT-0400

Small, about $100 more than the nuc, has decent graphics and definitely better ram/storage options than a nuc

My current rig:

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

I see. I'm really looking for something no-thrills. So long as it is pretty recent and works.

1 minute ago, hconverse02 said:

Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI (rev. 1.0) Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 

Small, about $100 more than the nuc, has decent graphics and definitely better ram/storage options than a nuc

And the NUC is smaller than the PSU alone.  Like I said, it depends on how small you want to go.

Just now, JGunnz said:

I see. I'm really looking for something no-thrills. So long as it is pretty recent and works.

What os are you running? ryzen apu's will have issues with older distros like centos and debian stable.

2 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

Thanks for the build. Will probably run something similar to that. Just gonna need a sicker looking case...

1 minute ago, JGunnz said:

Id go 2200G and the cheapest ITX board available then.

Low end intel tends to function better in Linux though.

Thanks for the build. Will probably run something similar to that. Just gonna need a sicker looking case...

What is your budget?

My current rig:

Just now, hconverse02 said:

What is your budget?

As stated in OP, I don't really have one. Really just doing some basic research into this project right now and seeing what my options are. I've been looking at some of Phanteks super slick mini-ITX cases.

As stated in OP, I don't really have one. Really just doing some basic research into this project right now and seeing what my options are. I've been looking at some of Phanteks super slick mini-ITX cases.

Well it depends, because you could fit a real processor and a mini video card in a slicker itx case if your budget is ~$1000 Just read the post nvm

My current rig:

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What os are you running? ryzen apu's will have issues with older distros like centos and debian stable.

Haven't decided yet. Might run Mint, of which I'm most familiar. Though I was also looking into System76's Pop!_OS, as it seems pretty cool. Will probably end up OS hopping a bit.

5 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Id go 2200G and the cheapest ITX board available then.

Low end intel tends to function better in Linux though.

Oh? Hadn't heard that, will check it out though. I have no problem maybe going back a generation for a slightly cheaper Intel CPU if it aids my Linux experience.

Oh? Hadn't heard that, will check it out though. I have no problem maybe going back a generation for a slightly cheaper Intel CPU if it aids my Linux experience.

It comes down to driver support.  Intel has open source drivers that just work in my experience.  AMD Linux drivers OTOH, have been EXTREMELY hit or miss.

3 minutes ago, JGunnz said:

Haven't decided yet. Might run Mint, of which I'm most familiar. Though I was also looking into System76's Pop!_OS, as it seems pretty cool. Will probably end up OS hopping a bit.

Then there are some issues with raven ridge, so unless you plan on using distros with kernel 4.15 or newer(the current one) id get something like a g4560 at least for now. The gpu's drivers are in the older kernels.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Then there are some issues with raven ridge, so unless you plan on using distros with kernel 4.15 or newer(the current one) id get something like a g4560 at least for now. The gpu's drivers are in the older kernels.

Very interesting, thank you. Was just looking at that pentium, in fact. Won't have a super tough workload, the computer will mainly be a device for learning and experimenting with Linux.

4 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

It comes down to driver support.  Intel has open source drivers that just work in my experience.  AMD Linux drivers OTOH, have been EXTREMELY hit or miss.

Thanks a bunch. Might end up being able to shave a few bucks off with a slightly older CPU and motherboard combo.

Just now, JGunnz said:

Very interesting, thank you. Was just looking at that pentium, in fact. Won't have a super tough workload, the computer will mainly be a device for learning and experimenting with Linux.

You may look at the used market for equipment to learn on, as its going to be better supported.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5HA6YT6967&cm_re=dell_optiplex-_-9SIA5HA6YT6967-_-Product

Shuttle XPC boxes.

Small (mini ITX) but lots of customization options and expandability while being very quiet and affordable.

Also super linux friendly, assuming a semi-recent distro.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.