Cisco ICND 1 course content

JackDoyne

Hi guys, 

I'm looking at doing my ICND 1, but i need to buy the course content, unfortunately Cisco doesn't make it easy to find xD

could some direct me in proper direction so i get all the course content i need for ICND 1, i can pay for the exam later 

Ta. 

Jack 

There is really no course content for the ICND 1 or 2. Its really all reading the books out there published on it and watching videos and playing around with GNS3 or getting physical equipment to setup a lab to play with. There is some great courses on lynda.com for Cisco that you would benefit from. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

There is really no course content for the ICND 1 or 2. Its really all reading the books out there published on it and watching videos and playing around with GNS3 or getting physical equipment to setup a lab to play with. There is some great courses on lynda.com for Cisco that you would benefit from. 

Sorry let me re-phrase, i meant videos ect, i remember CBT Nuggets had some good content, but i no longer have access to that, 

Just now, JackDoyne said:

Sorry let me re-phrase, i meant videos ect, i remember CBT Nuggets had some good content, but i no longer have access to that, 

CBT Nuggets was good yes. Can always look around on YT, but your best bet will be lynda.com as the courses there on ICND are taught by Todd Lammle, who is also the author or many of the major study books out there for Cisco. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Also ICND1 is roughly 40% subnetting. 

7 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

CBT Nuggets was good yes. Can always look around on YT, but your best bet will be lynda.com as the courses there on ICND are taught by Todd Lammle, who is also the author or many of the major study books out there for Cisco. 

Thanks for your reply, 

I've been speaking to the network engineer who i work with (he's recently just got his CCNP) and he's recommended i start off with ICND 1&2

1 minute ago, JackDoyne said:

Thanks for your reply, 

I've been speaking to the network engineer who i work with (he's recently just got his CCNP) and he's recommended i start off with ICND 1&2

yep. Those are the entry level into networking. He is correct. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

4 minutes ago, JackDoyne said:

Yup. I wen't that route for my CCNA.

ICND 1 = CCENT

ICND 1 + ICND 2 = CCNA

The ICND 1 Exam is roughly 40% subnetting. Just keep that in mind. If you can do subnetting in a matter of seconds you'll save yourself a ton of time on the exam.

Also I'd recommend buying a couple 2960 switches and maybe 2 3550 L3 switches for testing, if you can.

https://ine.com/products/ccna-routing-switching-icnd1?variant=25281470277

https://www.cbtnuggets.com/it-training/cisco-ccna-icnd1-100-105

I'd probably pick INE's course.

If you atleast somewhat familiar with networking. I'd just go for CCNA instead of taking INCD1 and then INCD2 to get the CCNA.

10 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

ICND 1 = CCENT

ICND 1 + ICND 2 = CCNA

The ICND 1 Exam is roughly 40% subnetting. Just keep that in mind. If you can do subnetting in a matter of seconds you'll save yourself a ton of time on the exam.

Also I'd recommend buying a couple 2960 switches and maybe 2 3550 L3 switches for testing, if you can.

9 minutes ago, Denned said:

https://ine.com/products/ccna-routing-switching-icnd1?variant=25281470277

https://www.cbtnuggets.com/it-training/cisco-ccna-icnd1-100-105

I'd probably pick INE's course.

If you atleast somewhat familiar with networking. I'd just go for CCNA instead of taking INCD1 and then INCD2 to get the CCNA.

I'm just an apprentice at the moment, so my networking knowledge is rather basic, i only know bits that some of the networking guys taught me, 

ICND 1 & 2 is probably the best way for me to get into networking as i don't have much if any experience, most of my networking experience is provisioning an R410 and setting up an office network and VLAN

Thanks for your help 

2 minutes ago, Levisallanon said:

This serie of video's got me trough it.

Thank you! 

1 hour ago, JoeyDM said:

ICND 1 = CCENT

ICND 1 + ICND 2 = CCNA

2960's are super cheap at the moment might get a few. a 3550 l3 is quite expensive though, is there anything else you'd recommend for a lab? maybe a router?

10 minutes ago, JackDoyne said:

2960's are super cheap at the moment might get a few. a 3550 l3 is quite expensive though, is there anything else you'd recommend for a lab? maybe a router?

Huh? They're about the same price. 2960 with no letter and 3550. You can typically find them each for $25-$40.

The 2811 is a pretty good practice router, as is the 1841. I'd recommend multiple.

Also you can virtualize / simulate this stuff with packet tracer, GNS3, and VIRL.

Edit: oh, you're in the U.K. Idk pricing there.

I took Networking in college which gave me a pretty good grasp on the theory and subnetting.  A net+ book may be a good primer for learning the theory. 

I'm currently watching a video series on Udemy - CCNA bootcamp by Chris Bryant.  This will give you more practical knowledge if you want to be a network engineer/admin.  Haven't taken the exam yet but so far I'm enjoying it.

15 minutes ago, JackDoyne said:

Look into VIRL and Packet if you really want real life stuff but don't have room for equipment or don't want to deal with any.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

53 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Huh? They're about the same price. 2960 with no letter and 3550. You can typically find them each for $25-$40.

The 2811 is a pretty good practice router, as is the 1841. I'd recommend multiple.

Also you can virtualize / simulate this stuff with packet tracer, GNS3, and VIRL.

Edit: oh, you're in the U.K. Idk pricing there.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CISCO-CCNA-CCNP-LAB-TWO-1841-2960-3560-ROUTER-SWITCH-IDEAL-LAB/152931456222?hash=item239b6cd4de:g:jBIAAOSw~ZlZ1NaF

I found this, is it worth it?

47 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Look into VIRL and Packet if you really want real life stuff but don't have room for equipment or don't want to deal with any.

True, but i deal with hardware a lot, so i kinda want to go for hardware if possible, plus my desk will look sick! 

3 hours ago, JackDoyne said:

For CCENT and CCNA you don't really need the physical hardware. Just practice with packet tracer or eve ng or someting similar and you'll be fine.

+1 to Packet Tracer. You are better off just going for the CCNA TBH. The test isn't that hard and there are tons of books you an pick up some that even come with virtual labs to help you prepare for it.

22 minutes ago, Levisallanon said:

For CCENT and CCNA you don't really need the physical hardware. Just practice with packet tracer or eve ng or someting similar and you'll be fine.

8 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

+1 to Packet Tracer. You are better off just going for the CCNA TBH. The test isn't that hard and there are tons of books you an pick up some that even come with virtual labs to help you prepare for it.

I agree, but I've seen that result in a ton of really shitty entry-level network techs who have no idea how things physically connect.

5 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

I agree, but I've seen that result in a ton of really shitty entry-level network techs who have no idea how things physically connect.

Propperly learning how to wire it all up and cable manage it right wont come by buying one or two old switches. Unless you really want to buy a whole rack and stuff you probably wont get much experience from it anyways. You can only hope you can get this experience on the job etc.

20 minutes ago, Levisallanon said:

Propperly learning how to wire it all up and cable manage it right wont come by buying one or two old switches. Unless you really want to buy a whole rack and stuff you probably wont get much experience from it anyways. You can only hope you can get this experience on the job etc.

28 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

1 hour ago, JoeyDM said:

Looks great!

Pretty much for what i do having hands on experience with setting up routers and switches is good, we often install customer equipment, we also configure it too, so having a good knowledge of the cli is good too