Asus DirectCU-II 290X Reviews Out!!!!!!

Helieos

Well let's hope it's reduces the temp! ;)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pc Specs Chassi: Corsair Carbide Air 540. Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0. Graphicscard: XFX Radeon HD7870 Core Edition. CPU: AMD FX-8320E. CPU-Cooler: Corsair H100i.  RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2400MHz 16GB CL11. PSU: Corsair CX600. Hardrives: WDC 320GB 3.5. OS: Windows 10 Pro. Monitor: HP 1740, Acer X192W Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB / Ace Laser MouseKeyboard: Corsair K70. Headphones:  AKG K514. AKG K518DJ. Microphone: Samson GoMic.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The 290x does quite well against the GTX 780 Ti without overclocking, as soon as you push them towards the max though, the 290x will be obliterated. Here in Europe the Hawaii XT GPUs aren't that much cheaper than the full fledged GK110 so it's not that good of a deal in my opinion.

144Hz goodness

The 290x does quite well against the GTX 780 Ti without overclocking, as soon as you push them towards the max though, the 290x will be obliterated. Here in Europe the Hawaii XT GPUs aren't that much cheaper than the full fledged GK110 so it's not that good of a deal in my opinion.

Roughly 200 euros difference between MSI 780ti and r9 290x . Id say no :) for 200 euros, you get 4670k. And i dont think 20fps difference is worh a whole processor :P

Gpus are just overpriced. At least high end ones.

Roughly 200 euros difference between MSI 780ti and r9 290x . Id say no :) for 200 euros, you get 4670k. And i dont think 20fps difference is worh a whole processor :P

Except R9-290

Yeah... reference cards. I wouldn't consider buying a reference 290x though.

My statement is still true for non reference cards.

The 780 Ti gaming is between 627€ and 650€ without shipping, the r9 290x Gaming starts at 575€ (overclockers uk is the only store that has this card atm.).

144Hz goodness

Yeah... reference cards. I wouldn't consider buying a reference 290x though.

My statement is still true for non reference cards.

The 780 Ti gaming is between 627€ and 650€ without shipping, the r9 290x Gaming starts at 575€ (overclockers uk is the only store that has this card atm.).

True, reference suxxx, and prices are sky high.

Exactly what I had expected. Even down to the 'quiet' mode that allows the card to hit 95C with the slower fans speed. These AIB coolers were always going to fix these problems.

But it's too bad AMD allowed these GPUs to get known for their noise and heat rather than what they are truly capable of. They would of been that much more impressive if they launched with aftermarket coolers.

Why not get the current ASUS or other 290(X)'s with the Kraken G10 and X40? I hate the fact that they finally release it AFTER the holidays which sucks for most. So wouldn't just getting the GPU cooler be a better choice? Not to mention better cooling.

Hardware Canucks has had an ASUS 290X DCII review up for a while now...

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/64694-asus-r9-290x-directcu-ii-oc-review.html

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

So wouldn't just getting the GPU cooler be a better choice? Not to mention better cooling.

Yep, it allows the clock speeds to run higher therefore better performance and more OCing headroom.

Around 80C isn't bad for a temperature and it keeps it under 90 degrees overclocked which is pretty good and quieter than reference coolers.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer