GeForce Partner Program - The Slow Death Of AMD?

DisconnectedYT

After watching 2kiliksphillip's new video this morning as well as the segment on the Wan Show im sad about what is happening to the GPU market. AMD are clearly the inferior GPU manufacturer and don't call me a fanboy of Nvidia because i said that AMD are smaller, i own an RX480 and love it, but lets face it, Nvidia is scum. Setting up a program in which you aim to only allow manufactures to use your graphics cards and if you don't agree to their terms you get chucked at the of the barrel and get a low priority is just going to hurt the GPU market. Yes your business will do well at first but whats going to happen when AMD dies? There will be no competition!

Basically imagine a world where a GTX1060 is $500 and a 1070 is $800, guess what... there is no competition to Nvidia so they can do anything they want. The only things i can see happening would be AMD continuing like they are, working to target the high end more or slowly dropping away to nothing, they will still have some control in the CPU market so i don't think they will disappear, just from the GPU market.

Im kind of upset about all of this because i was going to buy a 1080ti or a 2080ti (if that comes out eventually) but im reconsidering again, like i did when the RX480 came out. Am i blowing this out of proportion or should i be worried???

EDIT: I read some comments a moment ago and this basically sums up what im trying to say

"this sucks.. without amd as competition, graphics card progression competition will drop to.. apple levels.."

11 minutes ago, DisconnectedYT said:

Basically imagine a world where a GTX1060 is $500 and a 1070 is $800,

If Nvidia had real competition the GTX1080 could be $200 and GTX1080ti $300, so yeah it's pretty easy to imagine because that's pretty much how it already is, a monopoly.

Why do you think cards like the titan V cost $3k?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

18 minutes ago, DisconnectedYT said:

[...] Basically imagine a world where a GTX1060 is $500 and a 1070 is $800 [...]

lol I'm living it

Capture.PNG.eb1c2f2a0a5860347671e08f6bc34bb3.PNGCapture.PNG

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

And this is a real screenshot, this isn't edited html ^^^

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

21 minutes ago, Enderman said:

If Nvidia had real competition the GTX1080 could be $200 and GTX1080ti $300, so yeah it's pretty easy to imagine because that's pretty much how it already is, a monopoly.

Titan V class hardware has ALWAYS bee $3k-$6k, its effectively a Quadro.

GTX 1080 and GTX 1080 Ti cost ~$200 in memory alone now, so you would not see them at those prices.

Vega 64 is supposed to be ~$600+ (currently $1000+), so AMD is not responsible for the prices.

19 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Titan V class hardware has ALWAYS bee $3k-$6k, its effectively a Quadro.

GTX 1080 and GTX 1080 Ti cost ~$200 in memory alone now, so you would not see them at those prices.

Vega 64 is supposed to be ~$600+ (currently $1000+), so AMD is not responsible for the prices.

10 years ago there were no $1000 GPUs.

I think linus said AMD was the first to do that.

Then with titans it went to $1000, $1500, and now $3000.

This is what happens when there is no competition.

This is not "oh it's always been like this, because quadro"

It's almost as if you don't watch LTT videos where they explain this stuff to people who are new to computers.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

It's almost as if you don't watch LTT videos where they explain this stuff to people who are new to computers.

18 years ago there were no $500 dollar consoles, your point is... what now?

Value of money goes down over time, get used to it.

Its almost like you dont understand what Titan V is.  Its not for games, though it does do well at playing them.  Something like 30% of the chip is dedicated to machine learning, and its totally inactive during games.

7 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

18 years ago there were no $500 dollar consoles, your point is... what now?

Prices are already increasing a lot, as you can see from Ryan's screenshot.

There is no need to "imagine" anything because that's already how it is.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Prices are already increasing a lot, as you can see from Ryan's screenshot.

There is no need to "imagine" anything because that's already how it is.

Which is unrelated.  That is from AIB supply shortage due to Crypto BS.

What do you mean by "imagine", Im presenting you with a fact.  PS2 was $299 on launch, PS4 was ~$400, and XB1 was $500.  This upward price trend applies to EVERYTHING.  Food is more expensive now too, I assume that is the result of NV/AMD?

If you get the cards direct from an OEM the prices are, imagine my shock, right around MSRP.  GTX 1060 6GB cards as an OEM option are ~$300, right where its always been.

3 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Which is unrelated.  That is from AIB supply shortage due to Crypto BS.

What do you mean by "imagine", Im presenting you with a fact.  PS2 was $299 on launch, PS4 was ~$400, and XB1 was $500.  This upward price trend applies to EVERYTHING.  Food is more expensive now too, I assume that is the result of NV/AMD?

If you get the cards direct from an OEM the prices are, imagine my shock, right around MSRP.  GTX 1060 6GB cards as an OEM option are ~$300, right where its always been.

I don't think you understand.

The titan cards cost thousands of dollars because AMD does not create any competition at that level.

The value of money has not decreased by 66% in the past half decade, sorry, you're wrong.

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I don't think you understand.

The titan cards cost thousands of dollars because AMD does not create any competition at that level.

The value of money has not decreased by 66% in the past half decade, sorry, you're wrong.

IDK man, AMD launched $1000 and $1500 parts too.  And it looks a lot like you are conflating the impact of mining on prices with the halo effect on prices.

Inflation over the past 5 years is... 7%.  Which lines up with MSRP of GTX 780 and GTX 1080. 780 was ~$500 and 1080 was ~$550.

Titan never made any sense in NVidias own product stack.  The X80 Ti cards got you 90% of the performance for ~$350 less.

I remember the butt hurt of all the OG Titan owners when the GTX 780 Ti was launched and was faster.

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Oh my god, that IS a monopoly. WHY ARE THEY SO EXPENSIVE?!?!

7 hours ago, Enderman said:

10 years ago 500 to 600 was the top of the line high end video card.

6 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

IDK man, AMD launched $1000 and $1500 parts too.  And it looks a lot like you are conflating the impact of mining on prices with the halo effect on prices.

Inflation over the past 5 years is... 7%.  Which lines up with MSRP of GTX 780 and GTX 1080. 780 was ~$500 and 1080 was ~$550.

Titan never made any sense in NVidias own product stack.  The X80 Ti cards got you 90% of the performance for ~$350 less.

I remember the butt hurt of all the OG Titan owners when the GTX 780 Ti was launched and was faster.

The vegas at launch was maybe 100 over msrp today they are sky high because of the miners buying them up,Because they mine amazingly from what i have read.

The whole amd vs nvidia has been going on since amd was ati and nvidia was 3dfx.Yes amd is the underdog in the market but they do good for what they are.What the g.p.p. is really doing is cutting amd at the knees a little bit.All the aib companies can't sell the same line card under both.Msi has already cut the amd line down to the armor line.Yeah they still make the same cards just changed the branding name.The true pc people like us know all the branding is just that branding.But to the rookies or people that don't know better go after branding.The only shining hope i can see for amd is asrock is going to make video cards and amd only.Or amd sues nvidia and wins.Which amd has sued intel in europe few years back and won so it can be done.

11 minutes ago, andrewmp6 said:

The vegas at launch was maybe 100 over msrp today they are sky high because of the miners buying them up,Because they mine amazingly from what i have read.

I am aware, this is the same reason Polaris has been in short supply.

Vega never really hit MSRP, so your MSRP+$100 is right.  Vega did hit MSRP for the FE cards with their $1000/$1500 price points though.

Nvidia was never 3DFX, they competed with them and then ate them.

8 hours ago, DisconnectedYT said:

After watching 2kiliksphillip's new video this morning as well as the segment on the Wan Show im sad about what is happening to the GPU market. AMD are clearly the inferior GPU manufacturer and don't call me a fanboy of Nvidia because i said that AMD are smaller, i own an RX480 and love it, but lets face it, Nvidia is scum. Setting up a program in which you aim to only allow manufactures to use your graphics cards and if you don't agree to their terms you get chucked at the of the barrel and get a low priority is just going to hurt the GPU market. Yes your business will do well at first but whats going to happen when AMD dies? There will be no competition!

Basically imagine a world where a GTX1060 is $500 and a 1070 is $800, guess what... there is no competition to Nvidia so they can do anything they want. The only things i can see happening would be AMD continuing like they are, working to target the high end more or slowly dropping away to nothing, they will still have some control in the CPU market so i don't think they will disappear, just from the GPU market.

Im kind of upset about all of this because i was going to buy a 1080ti or a 2080ti (if that comes out eventually) but im reconsidering again, like i did when the RX480 came out. Am i blowing this out of proportion or should i be worried???

EDIT: I read some comments a moment ago and this basically sums up what im trying to say

"this sucks.. without amd as competition, graphics card progression competition will drop to.. apple levels.."

I will say i have been a amd fan for a long time and will be even harder after this.I could careless about getting max fps i look at how close the max and low are,Which on most amd cards is a lot shorter then Nvidia cards are.Yeah some games run better on Nvidia but cut some settings back they run just fine on amds.And i might sound crazy but the colors are better on amd cards then Nvidias to me.I'll happily game at 1440p with over 80fps and a low of 60fps and love every sec of it.And freesync monitors are a lot cheaper then same thing gsync.

Just now, andrewmp6 said:

This is how long i have been a ati/amd fan

Got ya beat, I started with a Rage II+.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

Got ya beat, I started with a Rage II+.

That was my first ati card and im still running a 5770 msi hawk tell gpu prices come down.Last nvidia card i had was just because it was the last agp slot card made.

I have a bit of everything.  FPS/$ is my main target so lots of AMD/ATI.

Even picked up an HD 2900XT at launch because I couldn't turn down the price.