LAN Speed capped at 100mb/s after upgrading motherboard

Go to solution Solved by factorialandha,

check the correct drivers are being used, try a different port on your router, try a different cable. try the above forcing it to 1Gbps ( a dodgy cable would probably cause the network to most likely drop if you force its speed and duplex and the cable cant support it)

Hi,

Recently my ISP started providing a fiber connection that gets up to 1gb/s of download speeds.

after they installed the new router and hooked me to the fiber network I had 800mb/s download and about 200mb/s upload.

2 days ago I replaced my motherboard with Asus ROG STRIX Z370-H GAMING (ofc CPU and RAM aswell) . It did not require formatting my boot drive, it just worked,

I installed some drivers, and basically software wise I had the same exact PC, BUT since then for some reason my LAN is capped on 100mb/s speeds

and I cant find any way of changing it, nothing works.

if anyone can help me enable 1gb speeds on my motherboard it will be much appreciated.

Go to your "Local Area Connetion" in Control Panel, right click on it, properties, then configure and then find an option called "Speed & Duplex" and select either Auto negotiate or force it to 1.0Gbps

The setting looks like this:

network-controller-speed-duplex-100mbps-

check the correct drivers are being used, try a different port on your router, try a different cable. try the above forcing it to 1Gbps ( a dodgy cable would probably cause the network to most likely drop if you force its speed and duplex and the cable cant support it)

it could be something to do with your cable, like if the cable it to long or has only 4 wires instead of 8 of even something on the connectors.

27 minutes ago, factorialandha said:

6 minutes ago, unkn0wn1 said:

it could be something to do with your cable, like if the cable it to long or has only 4 wires instead of 8 of even something on the connectors.

36 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Go to your "Local Area Connetion" in Control Panel, right click on it, properties, then configure and then find an option called "Speed & Duplex" and select either Auto negotiate or force it to 1.0Gbps

The setting looks like this:

network-controller-speed-duplex-100mbps-

The problem occurred ever since I changed my computer specs, I did install the correct drivers and also tried reinstalling them. The cable is most likely not the issue here because I've used this cable before the specs change and it worked perfectly fine.

Also, when I force to 1Gbps the little PC icon in the tray shows a disconnected cable sign and there is no internet connectivity.

Thanks, but the problem is still not solved, any other ideas?

Just now, BigBread said:

The problem occurred ever since I changed my computer specs, I did install the correct drivers and also tried reinstalling them. The cable is most likely not the issue here because I've used this cable before the specs change and it worked perfectly fine.

Also, when I force to 1Gbps the little PC icon in the tray shows a disconnected cable sign and there is no internet connectivity.

Thanks, but the problem is still not solved, any other ideas?

forcing to 1gbps causing a disconnect leads me to point to a couple of things, 1. both points are not capable of 1gbps, maybe some settings on the router side of things causing it to be 100mbps instead of auto negotiation.

2. Drivers incorrectly installed for the new Network interface. 

My recommendation would be to download the nic drivers from the asus website ( that has Intel I219-V NIC by the looks of the page for the motherboard, then uninstall the network interface from device manager completely, and reinstall using the drivers you downloaded.

Make sure you uninstall any other network interface software you might have previously installed.

it could well be trying to use a half compatible intel Network driver that doesnt fully support the chipset. 

I would also seriously consider just trying another cable or another port on the router, just to rule out some weird cable issue.

I've uninstalled the device from device manager and re-installed it with the 1219-V NIC intel driver, but it did not help.

Also I don't think the router has any setting to cause this issue since other computers in the house are getting a 1gb speed connection beside me.

Also tried another port and cable, didn't work as well :(

I've been on this case for hours now and its getting pretty depressing by now..

24 minutes ago, BigBread said:

I've uninstalled the device from device manager and re-installed it with the 1219-V NIC intel driver, but it did not help.

Also I don't think the router has any setting to cause this issue since other computers in the house are getting a 1gb speed connection beside me.

Also tried another port and cable, didn't work as well :(

I've been on this case for hours now and its getting pretty depressing by now..

thats very odd, does the bios maybe have anything in bios that could cause this ? aslong as its using the correct driver and the cable / port didnt make a difference then im a little stumped. theres no reason why it should be negotiating at 100mbit unless the port itself is broken and it can only use half the pairs

So after buying a new Ethernet cable out of frustration the problem is finally fixed, turns out the 2 cables I tried were both faulty and they were CAT 5 which I didnt know cause I just had them around the house. The new one I got is CAT 6 and works like a charm. 

Thank you so much for the help and concern, you helped alot :)