I need some help (driving lessons)

3 Lions

Hi guys,

So I'm currently doing my driving lessons but I have a big problem stopping me from taking my test. Now it's inevitable that a leaner is going to make mistakes but I have a problem with this, I know the job of a driving instructor is to point out mistakes made but the problem I have is the driving instructor I have mentions how many mistakes I've made and even mentions the mistake I made earlier approaching the same situation. In doing this my confidence level drops to the point where even if I'm trying to work out how to do it correctly I make the same mistakes over and over again. This gets the driving instructor frustrated to the point where he has to shout at me and I get frustrated, today for example I was making mistakes on roundabouts and kept making them due the frustration I had and for the first time I just felt like crashing the car. I just would like someone to talk to privately, to bring up my confidence level and to keep me from getting frustrated in future lessons.

NOTE:  

When I'm just driving around with my parents this issue never happens, it's only when the driving instructor is with me I get like this. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

First, tell your parents exactly what you wrote here and then then your driving instructor same thing. Make him understand your frustrations and reason for mistakes. If he acts like an asshole, let him go and go for another one. And don't forget to leave feedback so that others know what kind of person he is.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz

I had the same thing here when I was doing my lessons. My instructor would always point out every single mistake to the point where I'd almost cry. I did tell my instructor that I would get frustrated and anxious. 

It's normal. My friend is going through the same thing right now. I'd rather have an instructor that points out every single mistake than having an instructor who would let it slide or not say anything about me.

It actually made me more confident in the end. I took my exam with 100% confidence that I would make it. I just went for a drive with a new person. I had a nice comfortable chat while doing my exam that made me 10 times more relaxed. In the end I passed with 0 mistakes. 

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

Don't worry about it, on my driving test I was really stressed and drove incledibly bad compared to usual and I still passed. Only a few points above the passing grade but I still passed :)

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

Honestly, if this "instructor" is shouting at anyone then you should find a new instructor. Factually speaking, yelling at ANYONE while driving is a huge hazard to you and the folks around you. You will never learn if the person teaching you is unwilling to understand your wants/needs. It sounds to me like your instructor is teaching from a script and lacks any sort of ability to be flexible and mentor you. 

Don't be discouraged, driving is scary at first and everyone makes mistakes. I would assume you have a temporary permit to drive, if so, find an abandoned mall or parking lot and drive around for a little bit with no traffic or things to hit so that you can become comfortable with the car itself and your surroundings. 

Don't give up! You can do it! 

The thing you need to learn is oneness with a vehicle. It's different for every type of car you get in but once you have a feel for making the car an extension of your body it is effortless to transition to another.

I would love to talk to you about it and how to become comfortable behind the wheel. That being said, I would go on YouTube and watch as many vids as you can on the subject as you will find a series that clicks with you and will then "get it" as it were.. Don't get all caught up in the technical, which it sounds like your instructor is keen on, and instead try to get a feel for the physics of driving. Once you understand why a car reacts to it's environment, the different speeds for proper cornering and acceleration as well as proper breaking the rest will pretty much fall in line. You know, all that stuff your instructor keeps rapping you on the knuckles about..

I got my kid up to speed by having him play racing sims while I coached him in the background. It took the fear out of the equation and he did much better. Once he got comfortable with sim racing the real driving became easy to him.

----

Almost forgot to add this.. I learned to drive by going to the go cart track when I was a kid. I can still smell the oil and gas form the place.. A little hint of hot wax mixed in.. Yes they waxed the corners on one of the tracks for "drifting".. I miss the Little 500...

Passmark 4507

Time Spy   3837

Fire Strike   11287

While it's important for you to know about errors and things with your driving there are different ways to approach communicating them. If, for some reason, you can't switch instructor (paid up front for a block of lessons maybe) then you need to have a discussion about what's not working so you can try something else.

Have a talk with the instructor and explain what's happening. If they're any good they should be willing and able to try a different approach with you. If you can't reach an accommodation that works then it's probably time to look for a different instructor.

I'd consider switching driving instructors. Back when I was taking driving lessons, I started with a useless driving instructor. He wasn't really bothered, had a poor atitude to instructing and often cancelled lessons. I switched to another recommended instructor and she was great.

Despite your frustrations and mistakes, don't give it up. It sounds obvious, but the more practice/lessons you do, the better you'll get. It isn't an overnight thing either. It took me two years with on/off lessons to be ready for my test. Even then, it took me three times to pass.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

Yeah, you just seem to have a bad instructor (or one with bad habits).

You pay him to point out your mistakes, that is fine, but you also pay him to teach what to do differently next time. Him getting frustrated/angry/yelling is very unprofessional and not something he should do.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I drove several years collision free to finally almost get into one when I started taking my mother to hospital visits and she treated my car like a Chinese made rollercoaster, literally holding the dashboard when in reality I'm one of the smoother drivers out there. I drive gentle, I don't tailgate, etc. Made me nervous as hell. I got over it. I started driving aggressively to show her what real roller coaster driving is like. She got the point. She eventually acknowledged what she was doing. Might have been part chemo therapy effects making her dizzy too. But she was always a big nervous mess like that when I drove. 

Years later, still collision free. 

Confidence is important. Try switching instructors maybe. This is why my father taught me to drive. Took him maybe about 2 hours of watching me drive to start reading the paper/taking calls and using me to bum rides as 'driving practice' 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

25 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Yeah, you just seem to have a bad instructor

Oh no the driving instructor I have is a nice guy and has done a lot for me in terms of my driving ability. I understand why he gets angry with me when I make mistakes because it's like I'm not listening to him yet I am but because of the confidence loss when he mentions mistakes I'm not able to fix my errors in a comfortable and correct way (for me personally). It starts this pattern of thought that comes back to haunt me when I'm faced with the situation again and even messes up my driving in different areas, areas that I'd normally be good at. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: