MS Access 2016 on Ubuntu

Go to solution Solved by Haydenbjyoung,

I'm sorry, but I must disagree with @Jarno., It is possible to 'WINE-ify' MS Office. I have Office 2013 installed on a vanilla wine build from WineHQ, and 2016 Pro Plus on CrossOver (albeit with some issues). Now, if you evaluate your options, 2013 will install fine on Wine 3.0 from WineHQ's Ubuntu repo, but you might run into an issue with 2016. If you are fine with a trial for a few days (with the possibility of a crack or outright purchase of the subscription), you could try Crossover by Codeweavers. You simply install it, click on Install Application and choose a program from their comprehensive list. In this case, office 2016. Their modified version of WINE will be installed along with many other libraries that make it work through WINE, and then it will begin the installer. It will even add .desktop files to your .local/share/applications folder for you once they are installed to save the hassle of doing it yourself.

Hope this is a more positive answer than you have already received.

I am just wondering if it is possible to work with .accdb files made using MS Access 2016 in Ubuntu.

Currently I am using a MacBook Air 2011, since it is rendered obsolete by apple I installed windows 10 on it to give it further support. But Windows 10 is a bit unstable on this machine and it is also running in legacy bios mode in which the boot times aren't the best. I'm currently considering running Ubuntu instead as I can run it in EFI mode and should have better stability than running Win 10 with Win 7 drivers.

At school we are currently working with MS Access 2016 that is why I have asked this question as I would also like better stability on my machine.

I thought of using wine but I am worried of the possible errors it could produce, I have used wine on OSX before and one thing I learnt is that it isn't stable with some win apps.

Edit: Using a virtual machine probably isn't the best solution either, on a 2gb ram, i5 2557M, 64gb SSD machine.

1 hour ago, unkn0wn1 said:

Why not just install windows 7?

But it would still run in emulated legacy bios mode, which means my SSD would have to run in ide mode making it slower and the boot times are also slower as it has to do the checks legacy bios modes does (ram check, pci device checks etc.). I mean with windows 10 that's what I'm currently experiencing as well. Besides I don't have a legal copy of windows 7 and I would like to now get the most out of my system.

• 2 weeks later...

hi @WindowsXP16

The short awser: Microsoft office cant be installed at Ubuntu or any Linux disto in that matter.

There are some good altanatives though like Openoffice and Liberoffice. Personally i prefer Liberoffice. It takes some time to get used but, I don't miss Microsoft office anymore. Both should be able to open Microsoft office file types like Dox Doc, accdb and so on.

Edit: No it also won't run with wine. Office got some checks in place to make sure thats its running at Windows. Wine cant trick it. The installer will crash with an error that you need Windows xp or later.

I'm sorry, but I must disagree with @Jarno., It is possible to 'WINE-ify' MS Office. I have Office 2013 installed on a vanilla wine build from WineHQ, and 2016 Pro Plus on CrossOver (albeit with some issues). Now, if you evaluate your options, 2013 will install fine on Wine 3.0 from WineHQ's Ubuntu repo, but you might run into an issue with 2016. If you are fine with a trial for a few days (with the possibility of a crack or outright purchase of the subscription), you could try Crossover by Codeweavers. You simply install it, click on Install Application and choose a program from their comprehensive list. In this case, office 2016. Their modified version of WINE will be installed along with many other libraries that make it work through WINE, and then it will begin the installer. It will even add .desktop files to your .local/share/applications folder for you once they are installed to save the hassle of doing it yourself.

On 02/04/2018 at 9:46 AM, Haydenbjyoung said:

How reliable is office 2013 on wine? Encountered and problems on it?

1 hour ago, WindowsXP16 said:

How reliable is office 2013 on wine? Encountered and problems on it?

It's fairly reliable. The only thing (in my experience with it) is that you need to install `msxml6` in Winetricks, and also OneNote doesn't work due to some 'Desktop Experience' thing being required. Also, ensure you have a phone or your activation key because Internet activation isn't working in 2013. Same in 2016.