UPS suggestion

Pkai

Hello guys, i am searching for a good UPS and i am worried if a UPS would damage the PC’s components so i want to make sure that it would be fine. I need the UPS mainly because we have some electricity outage from time to time in our country. Can you please suggest a good UPS from this website ?

https://pcandparts.com/ups/

Would be better to stay within the 100$ budget. My PSU is 730W. Thank you in advance.

3 minutes ago, Pkai said:

Hello guys, i am searching for a good UPS and i am worried if a UPS would damage the PC’s components so i want to make sure that it would be fine. I need the UPS mainly because we have some electricity outage from time to time in our country. Can you please suggest a good UPS from this website ?

Would be better to stay within the 100$ budget. My PSU is 730W. Thank you in advance.

What are your system specs and devices you plan to run, we cna get a better idea of what your needs will be.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, W-L said:

What are your system specs and devices you plan to run, we cna get a better idea of what your needs will be.

I7-6700

msi gtx 1070

32gb ram

1TB HDD

240GB SSD

120GB SSD

730W PSU

144HZ monitor

Motherboard: Asrock Z170 extreme4

Do you need the peripherals also? Thank you btw.

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

They have been out of stock for a long time. Don’t think they will be available anytime soon. Are all of the others bad ? 

2 minutes ago, Pkai said:

They have been out of stock for a long time. Don’t think they will be available anytime soon. Are all of the others bad ? 

Not necessarily, I haven't taken a look at all of them, but I know the PFC LCD are excellent, which is why I bought one many years ago.

You want one that is a PFC UPS for the best compatibility with devices, otherwise it is possible that it won't keep your stuff running during a power outage.

These cyberpower ones are also good because they are quiet, efficient, and can simply plug into the computer with no need to install any software.

It gets detected as an internal battery, just like a laptop, so it is very well integrated with windows.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Not necessarily, I haven't taken a look at all of them, but I know the PFC LCD are excellent, which is why I bought one many years ago.

You want one that is a PFC UPS for the best compatibility with devices, otherwise it is possible that it won't keep your stuff running during a power outage.

These cyberpower ones are also good because they are quiet, efficient, and can simply plug into the computer with no need to install any software.

It gets detected as an internal battery, just like a laptop, so it is very well integrated with windows.

I see. I only need a ups that lasts for a max of 7-10 minutes. Any recommendations from the website mentioned above ?

15 minutes ago, Enderman said:

+1

I have the cp1500 and I am VERY happy with it. The power went out the other night and I continued to watch netflix and do other stuff until the power came back on.

I run all my gear off this beast.

PC with 1080ti & 2 monitors.

ADSL modem.

External speakers.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

One important thing when choosing a UPS is to remember the UPS is not necessarily designed to be a substitute for the real power coming from the wall.  The main idea IMHO, is to maintain power to the machine for as long as it takes to comfortably save all your documents and work until the machine can safely be powered down and turned off.

2 minutes ago, Pkai said:

Unfortunately, both are out of stock.

I wouldn't really recommend the others, Eaton is pretty good but there isn't documentation on what the output type is if it's sinewave or what I'm going to assume as it's a low cost unit stepped approxed. 

https://pcandparts.com/mge-eaton-5e1100iusb-660w/

1 minute ago, kb5zue said:

One important thing when choosing a UPS is to remember the UPS is not necessarily designed to be a substitute for the real power coming from the wall.  The main idea IMHO, is to maintain power to the machine for as long as it takes to comfortably save all your documents and work until the machine can safely be powered down and turned off.

Exactly what i want. Also, we have a generator that takes around 1 minute to be powered on, so i just want a UPS that would last enough until the generator is turned on. I might not be needing to turn off the PC.

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

I wouldn't really recommend the others, Eaton is pretty good but there isn't documentation on what the output type is if it's sinewave or what I'm going to assume as it's a low cost unit stepped approxed. 

https://pcandparts.com/mge-eaton-5e1100iusb-660w/

I see. Thank you for your help.

7 minutes ago, keskparane said:

+1

I have the cp1500 and I am VERY happy with it. The power went out the other night and I continued to watch netflix and do other stuff until the power came back on.

I run all my gear off this beast.

PC with 1080ti & 2 monitors.

ADSL modem.

External speakers.

My power was out an entire day, I basically turned off my PC and used to cp1500 to power my modem for like 8 hours to still have internet on my laptop :D 

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Pkai said:

Exactly what i want. Also, we have a generator that takes around 1 minute to be powered on, so i just want a UPS that would last enough until the generator is turned on. I might not be needing to turn off the PC.

Something to consider when wondering about what size to buy is just think about how big is the PSU in your machine.  So, you would want one the same size or maybe a little bigger than what your PSU is rated for.  Another thing to look for if possible is to compare the type of sine wave on the output of the PSU.  The closer to a "pure" sine wave you can get, the better.  Try to stay away from "square" waves if possible.

1 hour ago, Pkai said:

A 730 watt PSU won't consume as much.

Your pc would consume as many as 400watt at full load i think + 1 lcd monitor.

Without any load, like doing office jobs and not rendering / play games, it would only cost 200-250 watt.

image.png.2c429be82844bda13510eb2432ae4edd.png

A 650 watt UPS will do, assuming it will give you like 3-5 minutes to save everything.

Unless your PC is turtle slow, 5 minutes is plenty of time to hit save and put the pc to sleep.

What i do to save power usage from UPS is to connect only the main monitor for a quick save.

And the other monitors straight to the powerline.

I used this for some of my machines at the office, branded apc and prolink, i don't know any better brand, they just work for me for 10 years.

Plus you need to replace the battery in 2-3 years, cost $15 a piece (3rd party battery).

Official battery replacement would cost 2-3 times more.

So put that in mind, if you're not planning to save more than 5 minutes, a smaller ups is just fine.

Larger capacity is not only more expensive but higher maintenance cost.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

12 hours ago, kb5zue said:

Something to consider when wondering about what size to buy is just think about how big is the PSU in your machine.  So, you would want one the same size or maybe a little bigger than what your PSU is rated for.  Another thing to look for if possible is to compare the type of sine wave on the output of the PSU.  The closer to a "pure" sine wave you can get, the better.  Try to stay away from "square" waves if possible.

Is that included in the specs of the product ? Sorry but i am not an expert in these stuff.

11 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

A 730 watt PSU won't consume as much.

Your pc would consume as many as 400watt at full load i think + 1 lcd monitor.

Without any load, like doing office jobs and not rendering / play games, it would only cost 200-250 watt.

image.png.2c429be82844bda13510eb2432ae4edd.png

A 650 watt UPS will do, assuming it will give you like 3-5 minutes to save everything.

Unless your PC is turtle slow, 5 minutes is plenty of time to hit save and put the pc to sleep.

What i do to save power usage from UPS is to connect only the main monitor for a quick save.

And the other monitors straight to the powerline.

I used this for some of my machines at the office, branded apc and prolink, i don't know any better brand, they just work for me for 10 years.

Plus you need to replace the battery in 2-3 years, cost $15 a piece (3rd party battery).

Official battery replacement would cost 2-3 times more.

So put that in mind, if you're not planning to save more than 5 minutes, a smaller ups is just fine.

Larger capacity is not only more expensive but higher maintenance cost.

Thank you for your recommendation! Much appreciated.

21 minutes ago, Pkai said:

This store is an another option

So you are unable to shop on Newegg or Amazon from your location? I personally use and would recommend using Tripp Lite products. I have two large rack mount UPS and a freestanding unit and have been incredibly reliable. The only thing I see in there I have used in either store are APC products. Which used to be my go to product until I switched. I apologize I don't think I can offer you any useful information.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2018 at 7:18 PM, Chris_Hercules said:

So you are unable to shop on Newegg or Amazon from your location? I personally use and would recommend using Tripp Lite products. I have two large rack mount UPS and a freestanding unit and have been incredibly reliable. The only thing I see in there I have used in either store are APC products. Which used to be my go to product until I switched. I apologize I don't think I can offer you any useful information.

Hello and sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately, i can’t shop from Newegg or Amazon. Anyway, thanks for your help.