Need help with running an older game

tinpanalley

I run a dual boot system Win10 and Win 7. I don't usually have problems installing an older game on the Windows 7 hdd and having it run fine. But this particular game, High Heat Baseball 2002 has a demo that installs fine, runs the menu, options screens, plays the menu music, but then freezes during the loading screen right before going to the actual gameplay. I've tried every compatibility mode. Since I'm on a system that shouldn't have problems playing this game and it doesn't need DOSBox, is it possible that the game could possibly not start because I installed to the Windows7 hdd while running Win10?

Why do you have 7 and 10 as dualboot? It'd be much better to have Windows 10 as your main OS and run your games in a virtual machine. Create a VM with the OS the game runs fine on and play it on there. 

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

25 minutes ago, dionkoffie said:

Why do you have 7 and 10 as dualboot? It'd be much better to have Windows 10 as your main OS and run your games in a virtual machine. Create a VM with the OS the game runs fine on and play it on there. 

i'd agree, especially if you can pick up a copy of windows 10 pro so you can use Hyper-V rather than something like virtualbox

CPU: i7-8700K

Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z370-A

Memory: 32GB TridentZ RGB

GPU: Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming
Storage: 256GB Samsung 850 Pro, 4TB WD Black, 1TB Seagate somethingorother

Well, a) that's not what the question was about, sorry just don't want to get off topic
and b) I did try VM and couldn't find the combination of proper tutorials and people who could answer my questions to get it to work and when I finally did, several games wouldn't run.

Also, though it may be more common knowledge in the gaming world than in the regular power user PC world where VM is used for more "serious" applications, a lot of pre Windows-XP era games fail on VM due to DirectX and other graphics engine problems and actually won't run unless they detect actual Windows installations. I'm not an expert just saying what I've seen with my own eyes and read from people far more knowledgeable than me.

Anway, I reinstalled the game from within Windows 7 and that worked. Clearly I shouldn't have installed it from the Windows 10 install to the Win7 hdd.

Last time I tried for craps and laughs, I found out VirtualBox emulates a GeForce 6800 on a Windows XP VM. To verify this was actually working, I successfully ran Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory in SM3.0 shader mode. And it seemed to do it quite well.

Also I don't buy the "games won't run unless they detect actual Windows installations" reason. What makes an "actual Windows installation" an actual Windows installation? Game developers back then would have absolutely no reason to suspect their consumers would be running their games on a VM. And even then, why would it matter?

55 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Also I don't buy the "games won't run unless they detect actual Windows installations" reason. What makes an "actual Windows installation" an actual Windows installation? Game developers back then would have absolutely no reason to suspect their consumers would be running their games on a VM. And even then, why would it matter?

It would also suck for people who don't run Win OS at all, but play Win-made games with emulators such as WINE. Would be really odd decision from dev to create artificial block preventing use of anything else than single "real installed" OS. Unless, maybe, MS has paid big moneys to gain exclusive rights.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv