branded laptop vs unbranded

Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

Eh? Both are branded. CyberpowerPC is a brand, they put their name on stuff, just as Alienware does. Alienware is more notorious though, known for being overpriced in exchange for typically flashy looks. 

You're not sacrificing build quality, you're just paying for the looks and better known brand name with Alienware (plus 17" vs 15"). The CyberpowerPC is by far the better option, you're getting more for your money (assuming they're around the same price)

So im new to pc gaming and I know that desktops are better than laptops, but since I move around alot i figured i might as well get a laptop. The probelm is im having trouble picking between a  

Alienware 17R4 laptop with 
Processor: Intel Core 7th Generation i7-7700HQ Processor (Quad Core, up to 3.80 GHz, 6MB Cache, 35W)
Windows 10 Home 64bit English
1TB 2.5inch SATA3 Hard Drive 512e 2.5 inch (7200 RPM)
8GB DDR4 Non-ECC SDRAM 2400MHz (1x8GB)
17.3 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare 300-nits Display
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
McAfee LiveSafe 12-month 

vs
a CyberpowerPc Tracer II 15 VR800 with a
Laptop: 15.6" FHD IPS (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare Displays LCD w/ RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, HDMI 1.4 & mini Display Port
CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz Turbo 3.8GHz 6MB Cache Processor (KabyLake)
RAM / System Memory: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/2133MHz SODIMM Memory
Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 (Pascal)[VR Ready]
Windows 10 home 64bit english 
M.2 SSD: 500GB WD Blue Series M.2 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 545/525 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 100/80k (Single Drive)

Do I want to sacrifice build quality and a branded laptop for a unbranded laptop with spiffy company reviews??????

Are you calling the Cyberpower machine "unbranded"? It's just an MSI laptop. If you like MSI machine's go with that.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Eh? Both are branded. CyberpowerPC is a brand, they put their name on stuff, just as Alienware does. Alienware is more notorious though, known for being overpriced in exchange for typically flashy looks. 

You're not sacrificing build quality, you're just paying for the looks and better known brand name with Alienware (plus 17" vs 15"). The CyberpowerPC is by far the better option, you're getting more for your money (assuming they're around the same price)

The ladder obviously, I would pay for a better drive, gpu and more memory than just branding.

the company has horrible reviews and i dont want the laptop breaking down after 1 year 

7 minutes ago, weary said:

the company has horrible reviews and i dont want the laptop breaking down after 1 year 

1) Remember that people are more likely to write reviews when their experience was negative. 

2) The laptop components (actually, the laptop itself) come(s) from an OEM manufacturer. It has more to do with the OEM that is providing components and assembling the laptop. Cyberpower probably has very little do with their laptops other than branding and spec-selection.

3) Laptops don't come with the shipping hazards that come with shipping a desktop system.

4) Reinstalling Windows out of the box is probably the best way to ensure that you don't have issues on the software side.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

21 minutes ago, weary said:

CyberpowerPC doesn't actually make the components that go into the system, so it's really no more likely to develop a fault than another brand. The CPU is still from Intel, the GPU is still from Nvidia, the drive is from WD etc. etc. The main difference is the housing, which is mostly a cosmetic concern, unless you're really going to be putting it through its paces by bashing it about. 

For what it's worth, Alienware get their fair share of bad reviews as well, mostly for shoddy quality for the price you pay. But like all companies, they tend to get reviews from people who have a bad experience rather than a good or okay one, so that's what shows up. 

33 minutes ago, Unimaginative Name said:

OEM manufacturer

To explain further: They are Compal, Quanta, Pegatron, Clevo, MSI etc

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128