S340 Elite, High-ish 1080Ti Temps with front rad

akb8812

OK so I have the S340 Elite case with the Kraken X62 Cpu cooler front mounted with the stock NZXT fans. That's the only intake into the case.

I've been noticing that ever since I put in the radiator that the temps on my Strix 1080Ti can get really high when under 100% load causing it to throttle from 1900+ Mhz down to 1600+ Mhz, or basically stock speed.

The reason I chose this case was it is a fairly compact but easy to work in ATX case and space is limited on my desk, I have the S340 Elite against the wall with the window facing out obviously. I love how the Kraken fits perfectly at the front but it has sacrificed some airflow.

So I'm wondering the H700i is a bit larger but should fit on my desk and by the looks of things the x62 should fit beautifully at the top of the case and fans at the front to provide intake into the case. Should I go for that one and sell the Elite?

7 minutes ago, akb8812 said:

Not only does your case have poor airflow in general, especially in that config, your only intake is dumping hot air into the case.

Wait for the H500P Mesh if you want to replace it, should have best in class airflow

Alternatively just take the side panel off your case, or drill some holes into the window and have  120mm fan blow air at your GPU.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Not only does your case have poor airflow in general, especially in that config, your only intake is dumping hot air into the case.

Wait for the H500P Mesh if you want to replace it, should have best in class airflow

Alternatively just take the side panel off your case, or drill some holes into the window and have  120mm fan blow air at your GPU.

I found the airflow to be perfectly fine when I had two Noctua fans at the front and an air cooler.

1 minute ago, akb8812 said:

I found the airflow to be perfectly fine when I had two Noctua fans at the front and an air cooler.

Did you test the difference between a front panel and no front panel? Because any case with a blocked front panel is going to run hotter than one with a mesh front panel.

Try taking off the front and side and see what it does for your temps. or just taking off the front.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Did you test the difference between a front panel and no front panel? Because any case with a blocked front panel is going to run hotter than one with a mesh front panel.

Try taking off the front and side and see what it does for your temps. or just taking off the front.

Of course, it looks crap haha. Looks matter ;)

7 minutes ago, akb8812 said:

Looks matter

Well ya know, you can have looks or you can have better GPU cooling, pick one and only one lol.

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, akb8812 said:

Of course, it looks crap haha. Looks matter ;)

As a side note you should totally sell that 1080ti for like $900+ while you can.

Spoiler

Done some Furmark experimenting. Removed glass side panel and front panel and it actually made very little difference UNLESS I cranked up the radiator fans to 100% otherwise the temperature difference was only 3°C at most.

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

:/ it's tempered glass, drilling holes in that home would be "interesting" xD

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

22 minutes ago, akb8812 said:

Done some Furmark experimenting. Removed glass side panel and front panel and it actually made very little difference UNLESS I cranked up the radiator fans to 100% otherwise the temperature difference was only 3°C at most.

You only stressed your GPU then? Try stressing both, but overall your airflow is likely weak after being pushed through a radiator.

5 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

:/ it's tempered glass, drilling holes in that home would be "interesting" xD

Was hoping for acrylic

Spoiler

30 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You only stressed your GPU then? Try stressing both, but overall your airflow is likely weak after being pushed through a radiator.

Was hoping for acrylic

I only did the GPU cause the CPU doesn't stress all that much during gaming. 1800x

Also I did notice though that during my experiments with the side panels off the CPU temps actually got a bit higher.

There are two big openings at the top and under the front panel so plenty of air is getting to the fans. Maybe I need better fans to get the air through the rad a bit more.

6 minutes ago, akb8812 said:

There are two big openings at the top and under the front panel so plenty of air is getting to the fans. Maybe I need better fans to get the air through the rad a bit more.

The front intake just isnt enough to satisfactorily cool a 1080ti, with or without a front RAD. If you can, I'd look at upgrading to the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG, which has a front mesh gril.  If you really hate that design, the H700i and Define R6 can still adequately cool your system with proper fan placement, just not at the exact same level.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

8 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

The front intake just isnt enough to satisfactorily cool a 1080ti, with or without a front RAD. If you can, I'd look at upgrading to the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG, which has a front mesh gril.  If you really hate that design, the H700i and Define R6 can still adequately cool your system with proper fan placement, just not at the exact same level.

Maybe, that case is available in my country and I  can do a push pull config on the rad if it's front mounted there. That should provide the neccesary cooling.

Although I do notice that it can also be top mounted but to fully utilize that space I'd need a 360 rad and there might be clearance issues.

Also, only the special edition is available so its interior is all white. Colour neutral though so that's good.