GPU problem : Upgrade now or holdon?

RicHaj

Here is the long and short of it.

My pc has a GTX 780 that has been serving me quite fine for a few years. My whole pc is well protected, but recently a power surge gave me a big scare when the PC wouldn't turn on, until i removed, cleaned and re-sitted the GPU. It's not the first time my GPU has shown signs of small problems. Similar stuff to this has happen before, but it is very rare, but also, has happen mored than once... graphical glitches, power troubles... stuff like that. 

Also, recently i was doing a Live stream with some friends, using OBS, and i was recording my Stream via OBS at the same time. OBS was showing me a CPU load of 60% while streaming, playing a PC game and Recording the stream at the same time, so i thought everything was fine, until severa Video Artifacting started ocurring in the stream. Thing is, the feed was fine, my webcam was fine and the game was displaying fine on my screen. But for the people watching the stream, the feed of the game was a garbled mess of pixels. Evne when i stopped recording and just streamed it wouldn't get any better.

So, im thinking my GPU is starting to "sunset".

Due to the high prices of GPU's i was planning on buying a whole new pc around 2020 so i would just get something more modern and at perhaps a better overall price. Im running a i5 with 32GB of DDR3 Ram, the entire PC is from the 2013/2014 era. 

So, if my GPU goes bye bye, i will have to replace it and i see little value in seeking out something "just like it" instead of doing a minor upgrade. Im currently looking at the ASUS Dual 1060 GTX 6GB model. That is the top of my Budget for this.

What i would like to know is if this is a sensible buy for my scenario or if im tossing away money and instead should holdon a bit longer and do a full system upgrade a few months down the line instead of replacing parts on a PC that  i was already planning of replacing fully... 

Thanks for any input you guys might give me, i was really not planning on speding this money right now, so i would like to make the right choice... 

The 1060 6Gb would be a nice upgrade, I would wait until mining dies down more and see if you can grab one used for a decent price, or maybe even a 1070.

With that, an upgrade to an i7 wouldn't be bad for keeping your system as a whole running longer.

EDIT: As a fellow GTX 780 user, hearing about dying Kepler GPUs always worries me... RIP GPU, you will be missed.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

WIth Volta suppose to be coming out sometime in 2018 it should hopefully help to start to turn around prices again. It could end up that some of them may end up being the GPU you go with.

I don't think it'd be worth it in the current market. Maybe in a year or so when mining dies down a little

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

I really appreciate the feedback, at least i know where to go if things really turn sour with my GPU

Just a quick Update in case this might be useful for someone else. 

I stumbled onto a GTX 1070 from a good seller for about the same price the 1060 was going for, the only difference is that it's the Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 MINI ITX 8G and it was his last one (new on box) . But at that price, i don't think i will get a better deal any time soon. And considering my mobo has a LGA1150 Socket, the recommended i7 is not that huge of an upgrade over my current i5, so... yeah... had to bite the bullet on a new GPU now, but i'll probably be able to sell this GTX 780 at a decent price and cover some of the cost, and with a GTX 1070 at hand i might have been able to renew my PC for a couple more years.