Premiere Pro MultiCam Bottleneck

I'm editing a multicam sequence in Premiere Pro 2018, and it just won't stop lagging. It will play for about 4 seconds at 1/8th adaptive res and then the video feeds stop but audio continues as the video struggles to keep up. The files are all on an samsung 850 SSD. I also have a 750ti and an FX 6300. while just trying to playback the sequence, task managers reports not any significant usage of GPU, and about 70% on the CPU, but very little on any attached drives. All files are .mts at 60fps. Any ideas? (CUDA is enabled inside of premiere)

\o/ Final Cut Pro \o/ 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What codec are the files and bitrate?

Try using proxies.

Capture.PNG.71086f599fda0a06c9be17ee5989cb18.PNG

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Thats not the codec, what is the codec?

Look at vlc under codec tab with ctrl + i

Capture2.PNG.a9550f0a529491b89358ee591ff39b4f.PNG

3 minutes ago, hockeyjosh11 said:

Capture2.PNG.a9550f0a529491b89358ee591ff39b4f.PNG

60fps h264 1080 isn't easy to edit, esp multi stream.

Use premiere to make cineform proxies(under project settings) and it will edit easily.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

60fps h264 1080 isn't easy to edit, esp multi stream.

Use premiere to make cineform proxies(under project settings) and it will edit easily.

Alright, in trying to create the proxies, I said "create" and premiere just looks like it is sitting there thinking. Not launching Media encorder or anything like that. 

2 minutes ago, hockeyjosh11 said:

Alright, in trying to create the proxies, I said "create" and premiere just looks like it is sitting there thinking. Not launching Media encorder or anything like that. 

You need to reinport the footage, it does it on import. You have it set to copy and create proxies in project settings right?

Your MTS codec is too compressed to be using for multicam. You need to make either cineform or pro-res proxies for a smoother edit experience. I have the same issue using h.264 or AVCHD or MTS codec files.

16 minutes ago, benwubbleyou said:

Your MTS codec is too compressed to be using for multicam. You need to make either cineform or pro-res proxies for a smoother edit experience. I have the same issue using h.264 or AVCHD or MTS codec files.

Just to clear up this common misconception:

.mts isn't a codec its the container. Just like .mov .mp4 and so on and so forth. The codec is how the file is compressed (if at all) and what is inside the container. For Example you can have a .mov that h264 encoded and you can have a .mp4 thats h264 encoded. the difference is only in the file ending (and if ya wanna get nerdy its in the file header too)

About the actual question:

Try transcoding your files to proxies. Theres a ton of tutorials on the web about how to do that. Either use the free cineform codecs or download the Avid DNxHD/DNxHR Codecs for free and use one of those. Once you have transcoded your files to proxies comes a step i missed and which fucked it up for me. You'll have to manually add the proxy button to Premieres standard UI. (Google it and you'll find it) Then you can click on the button and either have the original files in the viewer or the proxies. And if you made everything right then there wont be much of a visible difference so just trust the button when its on or off.

1 hour ago, FSopDesigns said:

Just to clear up this common misconception:

.mts isn't a codec its the container. Just like .mov .mp4 and so on and so forth. The codec is how the file is compressed (if at all) and what is inside the container. For Example you can have a .mov that h264 encoded and you can have a .mp4 thats h264 encoded. the difference is only in the file ending (and if ya wanna get nerdy its in the file header too)

About the actual question:

Try transcoding your files to proxies. Theres a ton of tutorials on the web about how to do that. Either use the free cineform codecs or download the Avid DNxHD/DNxHR Codecs for free and use one of those. Once you have transcoded your files to proxies comes a step i missed and which fucked it up for me. You'll have to manually add the proxy button to Premieres standard UI. (Google it and you'll find it) Then you can click on the button and either have the original files in the viewer or the proxies. And if you made everything right then there wont be much of a visible difference so just trust the button when its on or off.

True, MTS is just a container, but I do believe MTS is mainly used by Sony to hold its AVCHD codec, so I just put the two together.

On 3/17/2018 at 4:48 PM, DrMacintosh said:

\o/ Final Cut Pro \o/ 

...thanks for the input?

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W