What is important in a music production pc

cl4nk

What parts are important for music production in a pc? I'm building a gaming pc but am wondering if I should get anything specific my music production. I bought a gtx 1070 Ti for the 10 minutes that it was actually $450 a while back and right now am just planning to get 16gb ram and an i7-8700k

3 minutes ago, cl4nk said:

What is important for music production in a pc?

Actual musical skill and an ear for it. Decent headphones also help.

1 minute ago, MaxBunny said:

Actual musical skill and an ear for it. Decent headphones also help.

That helped about 0%

I think you'll be more than okay. Core count and ram are probably the most important things and you seem fine on both fronts. I've worked with less

You might need to consider a external sound card if the motherboard has too much electrical noise(causes buzzing). You should judge for yourself and test if you notice anything first before committing though.

Spoiler

CPU: i7 5930k  |  Motherboard: EVGA X99 Classified  |  RAM: 32 GB Crucial DDR4  |  GPU:  R9 290 Reference Tri-Crossfire w/Kraken g10 mod  | Case: Corsair 780t  |  Storage: Sandisk 960GB SSD, Crucial 960GB SSD, 128GB Sandisk SSD, Seagate 2TB Hard Drive, Seagate Archive Drive 8TB, HGST Deskstar 4TB  |  PSU: Rosewill Gold Lightning-1300, Display(s): Nixeus Vue 24"144Hz FreeSync, 50in TV, Yiynova MVP22U(V3) Tablet Monitor w/ Mechanical Arm  |  Cooling: Cosair H55, H105, 2*Kraken X41  |  Keyboard:  Rosewill Mechanical Brown Keyboard| Mouse: MX Master, G602  | Sound:  Sennheiser HD 700, Westone W40, SoundBlaster e5, Fiio e18

45 minutes ago, cl4nk said:

What parts are important for music production in a pc? I'm building a gaming pc but am wondering if I should get anything specific my music production. I bought a gtx 1070 Ti for the 10 minutes that it was actually $450 a while back and right now am just planning to get 16gb ram and an i7-8700k

You don't need much for audio software, maybe 16GBs of RAM at most? Should sell the 1070ti for like $700+ and just build a sub $500 R3 2200G system which will do alright 1080p gaming and give you a decent upgrade path.

You probably don't need an 8700K in any event.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

45 minutes ago, cl4nk said:

I bought a gtx 1070 Ti

This got nothing to do with music producing.

Buy a good DAC / sound card + a couple of good monitors (speakers) like KRK.

A good over ear headphones from senheisser or sony and A mini 24 key midi controller.

Personally i never buy a dac or a serious monitors as i done most of my editing with headphones.

But since you asked. this is what i recommend if you're into audio editing.

That is essentially the basic tools that many of my audio engineer friend have on their desk.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

10 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

This got nothing to do with music producing.

Buy a good DAC / sound card + a couple of good monitors (speakers) like KRK.

A good over ear headphones from senheisser or sony and A mini 24 key midi controller.

Personally i never buy a dac or a serious monitors as i done most of my editing with headphones.

But since you asked. this is what i recommend if you're into audio editing.

That is essentially the basic tools that many of my audio engineer friend have on their desk.

I believe that the 1070 Ti is for gaming being that it was referred to as a gaming pc