LTT Community Input – Moto X4 (on sale for $250) vs. Huawei Mate SE ($230)

Moto X4

General Info – Snapdragon 630 (Adreno 508), Glass Back, Dual Camera (Wide-angle secondary), On sale with Google Fi for $250 until March 17 with an $80 service credit.

Pro – Near stock android, Dual band Wi-Fi w/ac, IP 68, Fast Charge, USB-C

Con – 1080p 16:9 screen (68% screen to body ratio), 3gb RAM, 32 gb Storage

Meh – Compatibility with all carriers, Front fingerprint reader, earpiece doubles as the loudspeaker, NFC, Moto-Care warranty extension

Huawei Mate SE (Note: the Huawei Mate SE is simply the 4gb sku of the Honor 7x)

General Info – Kirin 659 (Mali-T830 MP2), Aluminum unibody, Dual Camera (Wide-angle Secondary), Michael Fisher (aka MrMobile) believes it has a better camera.

Pro – 1080p 18:9 screen (77% screen to body ratio), 4gb RAM, 64 gb Storage,

Con – EMUI, Single Band Wi-Fi wo/ac, no water resistance, no Fast Charge, Micro-USB

Meh – GSM carriers only, Rear fingerprint reader, no gyroscope, no NFC, Has better memory speeds

Note: The pro and con lists are ordered from most important to least important.

It’s generally believed that the 659 has better cpu performance due to having 4-cores clocked at 2.36 and worse gpu performance compared to the 630.  But after looking at a lot of resources and benchmarks it really is a toss-up between the two. For games, I plan to mostly run emulators anyway.

It’s important to note that I would not stay on Google Fi. I will only stay until the $80 service credit is exhausted, then return to Tracfone. To my knowledge Tracfone is the cheapest MVNO in the US (I pay $14 each month). If not for the $100 dollar discount and the $80 dollar service credit I wouldn’t be considering the Moto X4. Instead, I’d be considering the Moto G5 Plus($209).

Which phone would you get and why? Additionally, are there any phones releasing soon that are worth considering in the $200 - $250 price range? The Nokia 6(2018), Moto G6 Plus, and Asus Zenfone 5 Lite look promising. All should be out within the next three months.

I would personally get the Moto X4 due to the pro out weighting the cons and it has better pros then the Huawei in my opinion. 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

@Alexzz_ The Xiaomi Mi A1 is a good contender. However, it lacks the proper LTE bands and as an import, warranty support would be iffy. Although, GSMARENA gave it the highest score between the Honor 7x and Moto x4.

Xiaomi Mi A1

General Info – Snapdragon 625 (Adreno 506), Aluminum unibody, capacitive buttons, dual camera (telephoto secondary), GSM Arena gave it 4.0,

Pro – Stock Android, Dual Band Wi-Fi w/ac, 4gb RAM, 64gb Storage, Fast Charge, USB-C,

Con – 1080p 16:9 screen (70% screen to body ratio), Import, lacks US LTE bands, Questionable warranty support,

Meh – GSM carriers only, Rear fingerprint reader, Yes IR blaster, no compass, no NFC

21 hours ago, poptonite said:

Con – EMUI, Single Band Wi-Fi wo/ac, no water resistance, no Fast Charge, Micro-USB

EMUI is nice if you get used to it, unless you prefer stock android. You can just install a more stock theme via EMUI though, so he. Some tinkering required, but nothing too difficult.

It doesn't have "fast charge" but probably comes with Huawei's own version of fast charge, so should still charge fast.

This is the last chance for input. The Moto X4 promotion ends tonight.