Asus G750JM Motherboard/GPU swap

So, I've been doing my research on the G750Jz that has an 880m in it. Some people told me that the gpu is soldered and won't be able to be swapped out alone. Is there any way to buy a Rev2.0 motherboard with the 880m? Maybe swap out the motherboard with one that has an 880m and an upgraded cpu? What are some problems other than having to get the software for the new cpu/gpu? Fitting issues? Here are some links. I currently own a Asus ROG g750jm.

Links: https://www.ebay.com/i/282737532111?chn=ps&dispItem=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-ASUS-G750JZ-W-I7-4860HQ-G750JZ-REV-2-0-Motherboard-60NB04K0-MB1001-Test-OK-/322543193562

Hopefully I'm able to do one or the other. I would really like to upgrade the laptop without having to shell out another $1k+. Thanks!

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

you cant swap out any soldered components on your boards so if you want to mix and match chips sorry thats not an option.

The GPU in that laptop is most likely soldered. Personally, I would never recommend opening up a laptop unless you're fully okay with the possibility that you'll break it. I don't know if all the connectors will be the same, so I personally wouldn't recommend it.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Just now, Jaxzzzzz said:

you cant swap out any soldered components on your boards so if you want to mix and match chips sorry thats not an option.

I don't think that's what he's saying. He wants to find a motherboard with a more powerful CPU already soldered on, and the same GPU.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Just now, bellabichon said:

The GPU in that laptop is most likely soldered. Personally, I would never recommend opening up a laptop unless you're fully okay with the possibility that you'll break it. I don't know if all the connectors will be the same, so I personally wouldn't recommend it.

laptops especially gaming ones are designed to be opened serviced and upgraded so thats not the issue the problem is the actual hardware swap that he is attempting

Just now, Jaxzzzzz said:

laptops especially gaming ones are designed to be opened serviced and upgraded so thats not the issue the problem is the actual hardware swap that he is attempting

They're designed to be opened and serviced in static-free cleanrooms, by trained technicians. Not by the owner of the laptop. If OP wants to go for it, that's fine. But if I was in his position, I wouldn't try it. 

Main PC:

Peripherals/Other:

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

They're designed to be opened and serviced in static-free cleanrooms, by trained technicians. Not by the owner of the laptop. If OP wants to go for it, that's fine. But if I was in his position, I wouldn't try it. 

think your being overly cautious, but sure, you know how every laptop repair shop has their own super expensive clean room, yea its not a problem as long as your grounded, also why a clean room think of how much dust and gunk a laptop is designed to handle in the first place.

So, to clear up any confusions, I understand that I can't mix and match chips. Since the other g750 that use gtx 870m's or 880m's must have similar boards, it should be compatible. If I can, I'll try to put a motherboard with an upgraded cpu and gpu into my current G750. One that is compatible.Almost like a complete internal swap. They sell parts like such on ebay and other websites. I just wanted to see if anyone's done the swap. Thanks! (oh and I've opened my laptop plenty of times to clean the fans and change my back lit keyboard color.)

*update* I've found a video showing that the 860m is able to be removed from the mobo. I know that when I jam the 880m on my current board, it won't read. I've decided to get a Revised motherboard with an upgraded cpu and put the 880m in. Here is the link. Skip to about 7:02 in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLWFHAVVO_Y

4 hours ago, bellabichon said:

I've opened my laptop up plenty of times to clean out the fans and change the back light keys. I've found a G750JZ board that can fit in my current G750Jm. I will buy the 880m gpu and connect it to the mobo. Originally, the g750jz comes with a 880m.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

were you able to do the motherboard swap successfully for you JM model.?

I'm looking to do the same for my ASUS ROG G750JM DS 71 model.

Can you tell what model of the ROG gG750JZ should i go for.?

when i asked the service centre they said they need to know the serial number to check the availability of the board. I dont have a JZ model to give the serial number to them.

Can you please help me out?