VGA to HDMI Display

Gamebreaker

I purchased an ACER netbook for someone back in 2011 which has a VGA port and I recently just purchased a TCL L43P6US smart TV capable of 4k resolution for the same person. The TV has a HDMI port but the laptop does not. Despite it being a smart TV, they want to connect their old netbook to the TV. If I buy a VGA to HDMI converter and connect the VGA part to my laptop and HDMI part to the TV, will it work? Like, will it display the laptop screen on the TV with audio?

If not, what are the alternatives? Apart from buying a brand new laptop which is not an option at this moment in time. 

There won’t be audio, and VGA can’t do 4K. It can be blurry even at 1080p. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

4 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

There won’t be audio, and VGA can’t do 4K. It can be blurry even at 1080p. 

Is there a way to have audio as well? Or does a product like that not exist. 

5 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

Is there a way to have audio as well? Or does a product like that not exist. 

VGA doesn’t have audio. 

4 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

USB adapters tend to not work well for video. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

This uses a 3.5mm jack for audio
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KLKQN9U

Edit: Sorry, this is HDMI to VGA

Edit 2: But this one should work https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K4W62R4/

CPU: Ryzen 3700X VGA: RX 5700 8G RAM: 32GB 3200MT/s DDR4 Motherboard: B450 Aorus Pro

Storage: 2x1TB Crucial P2, 1TB Crucial MX500, 36TB NAS Cooling: Custom Loop 360mm & 280mm

PSU: Super Flower Golden Green HX 650W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

This kind of problem tends to be one you can find alternative solutions too.

Why do they wish to connect a very expensive 4K TV to a cheapo redundant laptop?

Netflix/videos? Get a $30 Chromecast etc and they can watch stuff that way.

Use webpages/etc, see above but stream from a phone/tablet/chrome window on the laptop.

Use files/folders/software view? A cheep second hand laptop with a HDMI adaptor (they just got a 4k TV, they can save up for a newish laptop ;) ).

Basically, they want to fit horse shoes on their new car... you need to find what they really want to do and help them with that instead.

3 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I've seen more than 70% people says the thing is working.

I don't see any other way either way, except maybe getting new laptop, or add external gpu.

3 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

VGA doesn’t have audio. 

I see. In that case, do you know of any possible work around methods of downloading Google Chrome on the TCL TV mentioned above? It's running LINUX and has a built in T-BROWSER which is horrible and the only reason for this post about conversion. 

1 minute ago, Gamebreaker said:

I see. In that case, do you know of any possible work around methods of downloading Google Chrome on the TCL TV mentioned above? It's running LINUX and has a built in T-BROWSER which is horrible and the only reason for this post about conversion. 

Just get a Chromecast or cheap Sandy Bridge laptop. 

1 minute ago, TechyBen said:

This kind of problem tends to be one you can find alternative solutions too.

Why do they wish to connect a very expensive 4K TV to a cheapo redundant laptop?

Netflix/videos? Get a $30 Chromecast etc and they can watch stuff that way.

Use webpages/etc, see above but stream from a phone/tablet/chrome window on the laptop.

Use files/folders/software view? A cheep second hand laptop with a HDMI adaptor (they just got a 4k TV, they can save up for a newish laptop ;) ).

Basically, they want to fit horse shoes on their new car... you need to find what they really want to do and help them with that instead.

I bought both items for them and neither of them have any technical knowledge in the matter whatsoever. As mentioned, the reason why they want to connect their old laptop is because the TV has a horrible browser called T-BROWSER. Apps like Netflix and YouTube are already built in so are not an issue. Other websites take a very long time to load on T-BROWSER and do not play videos on Facebook and other sources. If I can somehow download Chrome on the TV then that will solve all of the issues. 

1 minute ago, Gamebreaker said:

I bought both items for them and neither of them have any technical knowledge in the matter whatsoever. As mentioned, the reason why they want to connect their old laptop is because the TV has a horrible browser called T-BROWSER. Apps like Netflix and YouTube are already built in so are not an issue. Other websites take a very long time to load on T-BROWSER and do not play videos on Facebook and other sources. If I can somehow download Chrome on the TV then that will solve all of the issues. 

You can't download Chrome onto it, it's not a computer. 

Yeah. Smart TVs are, IMO dead on arrival. You want a seperate box/dongle you can throw when the upgrades stop working. I've never seen a TV HDMI/VGA/SCART connector stop working magically due to a software update. I've seen 100% of the smart TVs have the software "upgraded" to the status "dead/removed" when standards/tech changes.

Chromcast can be swapped out for MagicSuperGoogleCastVR when it's ever upgraded. So what your friend needs, is a Google chrome cast, and Chrome https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/3228332?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

Otherwise, they just need a newer laptop. What budget do they have? What specific webpage are they trying to stream?

Can you use a VGA to HDMI and a separate speaker/audio option?

Basically any PC/laptop with HDMI already will do for them.

I've never had any luck with these adapters, to me they're snake oil.