In need for a collaboration platform for web development

Basically me and my friend need to create a website together, and we live in different places. We want something that both people can work on the same time.

There is the Visual Studio Code Live Share, that is the enbodyment of what we need, but it is in closed  beta, so we maybe cant use it .

Is there any alternatives to that?

Needs:

Both people can edit the documents css and html at the same time (this isnt as mandatory, as ill do css and friend does html, but this functionality would be very nice)

Easy html and css editing, we like visual studio code.

If you know something like that let me know, but ill come back to the thread in 12-14 hours, need to sleep now.

12 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

Basically me and my friend need to create a website together, and we live in different places. We want something that both people can work on the same time.

There is the Visual Studio Code Live Share, that is the enbodyment of what we need, but it is in closed  beta, so we maybe cant use it .

Needs:

Both people can edit the documents css and html at the same time (this isnt as mandatory, as ill do css and friend does html, but this functionality would be very nice)

If you know something like that let me know, but ill come back to the thread in 12-14 hours, need to sleep now.

I don't know of a platform that allows editing the same development files at the same time as someone else, like how Google Docs or Office 365 allows multi-user editing of office documents, but you could (and should) be using a version control system, such as Git or SVN. This way, you and your colleague can each check out files you're working on, then check them back into the revision control system, allowing you to each work on HTML and CSS respectively without interfering with each others' work.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I dont like the idea of "editing files" at the same time, as it can cause major issues with merging and multiple changes to the same file. 

IMO a version control system like GitHub would be a better solution

You can just email the .html and .css to each other. 

Im not sure how to use the programs but vi or vim shows you changes I think if you call the right functionality. 

So does git. 

If your friend only does html and you only do css then I see no problem with just sending the updated files to each other like html to you and css to your friend. 

Unless you have a lot of imbedded then you have to send him html back to him again. 

On 3/14/2018 at 4:54 PM, Some Random Member said:

Needs:

GitHub?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

5 minutes ago, wasab said:

GitHub?

Not live, but whatever

4 hours ago, Some Random Member said:

Not live, but whatever

If you mean simultaneous editing of the same file then google docs.  But I don't know why that would be necessary.  For a collaborative programming task git will be ideal.

Not sure why you would to edit something at the same time, specially when developing.

(Btw see @WiiManic his comment for this kind of software)

I would suggest you guys pick a part to do for your own, one does front-end the other back-end maybe.

Instead of working both on the same functionality with my reduces speed and is really unfriendly.

Git is the best way to share code.

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

• 3 weeks later...

It would be better to setup a GitHub repo and then use that. That's probably the closest you will get.

Hello

Going to mirror the got suggestions.

You each can branch from master to create feature/name and hotfix/name or some other name you come up with and then after it's complete you merge back with master.

You both can work on the same file without the other doing something to interfere with what you're doing.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´