need help building a new pc for a girl

nickwu

Hi, i need some help building a gaming pc for a female friend. i dont have any experience with building a pc. My friend wants a cool looking, mid-size case. 19-23 inch monitor. Budget is 2000 cad Plz help me 

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Sit tight mate, I'll pull together a partlist for ya. Should take under 10 minutes.

LOL u r the real OG xD

PC part picker, - but whats the primary use of the PC- Gaming? Facebook and instagram for the likes and lols? or photo or video editing? or just useful work case scenario. 

I mean i would really consider the point of the PC before you splash out 2 grand on it? because a quarter of your budget could be gone on the graphics card straight off the bat with a gaming rig. 

but if all is needed is web browsing and browser games, then look for a high end (but not overpowered) laptop, if however video editing and photoshop is required, then perhaps look at something that built for that instead.

you better not f#ck it up m8. Feelin' ya.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1 minute ago, Metal_Kitty said:

PC part picker, - but whats the primary use of the PC- Gaming? Facebook and instagram for the likes and lols? or photo or video editing? or just useful work case scenario. 

I mean i would really consider the point of the PC before you splash out 2 grand on it? because a quarter of your budget could be gone on the graphics card straight off the bat with a gaming rig. 

but if all is needed is web browsing and browser games, then look for a high end (but not overpowered) laptop, if however video editing and photoshop is required, then perhaps look at something that built for that instead.

I think i said gaming pc lol. but thx for ur suggestions 

but whats the primary use of the PC

Just felt like pointing this out, OP mentioned it was a gaming PC in the post.

Hi, i need some help building a gaming pc for a female friend

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Metal_Kitty said:

whats the primary use of the PC- Gaming?

8 minutes ago, nickwu said:

Hi, i need some help building a gaming pc

Probably that

:)

What color case does your friend want? There are a lot of really cool looking midsize cases that would fit the PC I have planned, but I have a few questions regarding case in particular.

• Tempered glass, yes or no?
  • RGB or any kind of lighting at all?

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

No experience, want to do it for a female friend.

I really hope your attempt will be more succesful than mine! Good luck dude :)

edit: also ask her if she cares about the loudness of the system, not that i have much experience but the few girls i met liked a quiet system and didn't really care about tempered glass and RGB...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Just felt like pointing this out, OP mentioned it was a gaming PC in the post.

yes, but my point was what type of gaming rig - casual and browser based, or AAA titles requiring a 1060 or higher? VR? is the person streaming and editing videos too, or is it primaraily going to be a bit of gaming and mostly school / collage / uni / work / with some gaming? 

yes, but my point was what type of gaming rig - casual and browser based, or AAA titles requiring a 1060 or higher? VR? is the person streaming and editing videos too, or is it primaraily going to be a bit of gaming and mostly school / collage / uni / work / with some gaming?

Usually gaming PC means it will require a decent dGPU. Although I do see your point.

15 minutes ago, nickwu said:

Hi, i need some help building a gaming pc for a female friend. i dont have any experience with building a pc. My friend wants a cool looking, mid-size case. 19-23 inch monitor. Budget is 2000 cad Plz help me 

Should probably start off with a dinner at a nice restaurant. A PC is a little spendy for a "friend."

13 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

What color case does your friend want? There are a lot of really cool looking midsize cases that would fit the PC I have planned, but I have a few questions regarding case in particular.

• Tempered glass, yes or no?
  • RGB or any kind of lighting at all?

black case with RGB? what do u think

2 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Should probably start off with a dinner at a nice restaurant. A PC is a little spendy for a "friend."

Yeah a PC wont get in her pants

After spending way too long trying to find a 1070/1070 Ti/1080 that's in stock at a somewhat reasonable price, I give up. Left $700 for a GPU. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor  ($219.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($119.50 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  ($99.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop) 
Storage: Toshiba - 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($71.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 Tempered Glass Edition ATX Mid Tower Case  ($78.65 @ Amazon Canada) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($104.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Monitor: Dell - S2417DG 23.8" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor  ($473.00 @ Amazon Canada) 
Total: $1268.10
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-13 16:21 EDT-0400

Edit: For $10 more, this memory kit has less red on it. For colour matching, mostly. 

Edited by seon123
Something something

:)

6 minutes ago, nickwu said:

black case with RGB? what do u think

Only if the black case has tempered glass, I think she'd like it.

In case you're going to customize the RGB yourself, blue LEDs look really nice on black and/or white.

(Blue/black and blue/white are my favorite color schemes in PCs haha).

18 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I dunno, if a guy bought me a $2k PC for the first date he'd probably have me hooked. :x

Not entirely sure what that says about me.. lol

Resident smart (car) fanatic and lover of trijet airliners. One day you'll probably see me on one of those "Hoarders" shows, only I'm buried under a pile of 50 smart cars.

Rigs (all named after aircraft )

- DC-10-60 (GTX 1060 Gaming Machine)
- Falcon 550TI (GTX 550 TI Fun ITX Build)

- Legacy 630 (Convertible Desktop/Laptop Experiment)

- A340-750 (Dual Xeon GTX 750 Sleeper)

Just now, Ms Mercedes - Trijet Girl said:

I dunno, if a guy bought me a $2k PC for the first date he'd probably have me hooked. :x

I'd say I'm a cheap date, but that ain't cheap! 

Could be the case of him being led along so she can get what she wants and then ghost him. Make sure you have a webcam on this thing and a backdoor setup to access it just incase.

PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/KNkgLJ
Price breakdown by merchant: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/KNkgLJ/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350-Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: GeIL - EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($202.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($112.25 @ shopRBC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($72.25 @ shopRBC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card  ($464.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Corsair - Crystal 460X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($159.00 @ shopRBC)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($113.95 @ Vuugo)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($44.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Case Fan: Corsair - HD120 RGB 3-Pack w/Controller 54.4 CFM  120mm Fans  ($95.43 @ Amazon Canada)
Monitor: AOC - i2267Fw 22.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor  ($129.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Keyboard: Cooler Master - Devastator II Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($34.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1790.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-13 16:28 EDT-0400

Just wanted to mention this @seon123: at a $2000 budget, I wouldn't go any lower than 16Gb of RAM. 8Gb isn't capable of a whole lot, I can barely run anything other than Fortnite and Discord at the same time on 8Gb.

Beautiful case @Crunchy Dragon! There's even a white version of it too that looks pretty cool to me. With this kind of a budget though, I'd ask her what colours she would want in her PC. :)

Resident smart (car) fanatic and lover of trijet airliners. One day you'll probably see me on one of those "Hoarders" shows, only I'm buried under a pile of 50 smart cars.

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/KNkgLJ
Price breakdown by merchant: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/KNkgLJ/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350-Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: GeIL - EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($202.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($112.25 @ shopRBC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($72.25 @ shopRBC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card  ($464.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Corsair - Crystal 460X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($159.00 @ shopRBC)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($113.95 @ Vuugo)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($44.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Case Fan: Corsair - HD120 RGB 3-Pack w/Controller 54.4 CFM  120mm Fans  ($95.43 @ Amazon Canada)
Monitor: AOC - i2267Fw 22.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor  ($129.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Keyboard: Cooler Master - Devastator II Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($34.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1790.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-13 16:28 EDT-0400

Just wanted to mention this @seon123: at a $2000 budget, I wouldn't go any lower than 16Gb of RAM. 8Gb isn't capable of a whole lot, I can barely run anything other than Fortnite and Discord at the same time on 8Gb.

TY SO MUCH! let me have a look lol

1 minute ago, Ms Mercedes - Trijet Girl said:

Beautiful case @Crunchy Dragon! There's even a white version of it too that looks pretty cool to me. With this kind of a budget though, I'd ask her what colours she would want in her PC. :)

Agreed, the white version however was the 570X, not the 460X.

I opted for the 460X since the OP specified a "midsize case"; the 570X is a full-tower ATX and this one's a mid-tower.

EDIT: I do plan on doing a blue/white mod in the white 570X at some point in the future. Corsair does an amazing job with their cases...

11 minutes ago, seon123 said:

After spending way too long trying to find a 1070/1070 Ti/1080 that's in stock at a somewhat reasonable price, I give up. Left $700 for a GPU. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor  ($219.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($119.50 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  ($99.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop) 
Storage: Toshiba - 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($71.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 Tempered Glass Edition ATX Mid Tower Case  ($78.65 @ Amazon Canada) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($104.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Monitor: Dell - S2417DG 23.8" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor  ($473.00 @ Amazon Canada) 
Total: $1268.10
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-13 16:21 EDT-0400

Edit: For $10 more, this memory kit has less red on it. For colour matching, mostly. 

thank you! 

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Agreed, the white version however was the 570X, not the 460X.

I opted for the 460X since the OP specified a "midsize case"; the 570X is a full-tower ATX and this one's a mid-tower.

Whoops! Good eye! I somehow missed that. I may have to take note for a future build, I love them!