Hello fellow Linus followers, i'm concerned about my temps from my cpu. According to CAM my temps are going past 85c and I have a feeling its combination of high voltages and Asus one click overclock . If i can, i would like to do a manual overclock and try to bring the voltages down. Last time i checked they were at ~1.4, that seems kinda high. I would also want to make the frequency to stay at the applied multiplier. Here is a quick part list of the important stuff. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/w7mD4q. thank you for all that reply. 

p.s. : i will be at work till maybe after 4 pm PST. 

p.p.s : i intend on taking off the aio and reapplying more thermal goop. 

Are you looking at VCore or VID? 1.4 seems high but... what clock are you trying to go for? 

I have the exact same mobo and cpu as you do. I just upgraded and am at 5.0GHz. Adaptive 1.34V +0.02V offset. LLC 5. AVX 3. IA AC/DC both at 0.01. 

I'm using a Dark Rock Pro 3. Speaking of which, have you checked your mounting pressure? I don't think it'll be a matter of adding more thermal paste. 

I ran Prime95 for over 3 minutes (I didn't last over 2 minutes with previous overclocks because I was an idiot and mounted my heatsink backwards :D ) and so far it seems fine. I need to test some CPU intensive games to see if it lasts... probably do that tonight. 

5 minutes ago, tomoki said:

I ran Prime95 for over 3 minutes (I didn't last over 2 minutes with previous overclocks because I was an idiot and mounted my heatsink backwards :D ) and so far it seems fine.

3 min is enough time to get a good baseline for an OC?  Seems too short.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

1 hour ago, Velcade said:

3 min is enough time to get a good baseline for an OC?  Seems too short.

It very likely is haha. I'm not sure how long I should run it for but I also read some people still get crashes in games. I think it's the difference between games and benchmarks? 

I'm hoping to be stable enough to render stuff through Adobe Premiere Pro. 

3 minutes ago, tomoki said:

I'm not sure how long I should run it for but I also read some people still get crashes in games. I think it's the difference between games and benchmarks? 

You'd probably want to run for a few hours.  Make sure things are stable for the typical duration of application use.  I ran my testing for 3 hours.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

1 minute ago, Velcade said:

You'd probably want to run for a few hours.  Make sure things are stable for the typical duration of application use.  I ran my testing for 3 hours.

Thanks for the info! Should I be running multiple benchmarks at the same time and if so, which ones? 

@tomoki i plan on getting it as high as i can, currently it is at 5ghz but it never stay at it, typically fluctuates 4,7- 4.9 . (windows power setting at high performance)

7 minutes ago, stinkycrkers said:

@tomoki i plan on getting it as high as i can, currently it is at 5ghz but it never stay at it, typically fluctuates 4,7- 4.9 . (windows power setting at high performance)

Ah, if you used my settings, AVX would be the cause of that. It's to increase stability...so I've read... by decreasing it by a certain amount of MHz i.e. AVX setting '1' would be 100MHz less than your clock speed and '2' would be 200MHz less than your clock speed. 

It will speed down to increase stability. If you want constant 5.0GHz, set AVX at 0. 

Rather than using the Asus auto-overclocker, try setting Vcore at 1.35v, 5.0 GHz, and then stress test in something like Aida64. If you're going past 80 C at 1.4v, that's no bueno IMO.

Set your Vcore voltage to manual mode and set 1.35v, then set the multiplier for all cores to 50x. If you're stable, you can try lowering the voltage, or if your temps are below 80 C during stressing you can try increasing the core multipliers for a higher frequency.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

@Emberstone sorry for the late reply. I did the manual over clock. so far my temps are btter, i now idle temps of about 38c instead of 45c. I still need to stress test to confim stability. The only issue i'm still having is my clocks never stay at 5ghz. it jumps from 4.7 to 4.9. Also just for the heck of it, i  overclocked my ram.