[Sponsored] project Redrock - AMD Threadripper 1900x ASROCK Taichi X399 full EKWB Custom loop | by Zeuligan

redrock-start-01-asrock-taichi-x399-zeul

Awesome times with the possibility to do another project in the amazing be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900. My third consecutive project in the same case. The project is extra special for me as it will also be my ever first AMD build, with an AMD Threadripper 1900X. ASROCK, EK Water Blocks, be quiet! and Enermax are sponsoring the project. Most grateful for that. 

Specifications:

ASROCK Taichi X399

AMD Threadripper 1900X

ASUS GTX 1080Ti FE

T-Force Delta RGB RAM DDR4

be quiet! Dark Power 11 850w

8x Enermax T.B.RGB 120mm fans

Custom addressable LED strips

Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250GB NVMe M.2

2x Samsung SSD 850 256GB

Water cooling:

EK-FC GeForce GTX FE - Nickel Water Block

2x EK-XTOP Revo D5 PWM - Plexi

2x EK-RES X3 250 RGB

2x EK-CoolStream SE 360 (Slim Triple)

EK-FB ASRock X399 RGB Monoblock - Nickel

EK-HDC Fitting 12mm G1/4 - Black

EK-HD PETG Tube 10/12mm 500mm

With the clean build of Zeuligan with almost to empty tubing I decided it was time to bump up the game. Only good way to add more tubing without SLI it is time to incorporate pass throughs in the build.

Redrock Custom PC PSU Shroud be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 concept Zeuligan start 02

This is the concept sketch I did for the custom PSU shroud. Round edges to go with the EKWB D5 Plexi pump but straight lines to keep it clean. After all it's a workstation build. It is also time for a black and red build.

Redrock Custom PC ASROCK Taichi X399 Zeuligan start 03

Redrock Custom PC ASROCK Taichi X399 Zeuligan start 04

The ASROCK Taichi looks really nice, specially with that monster of a CPU that the AMD Threadripper is. This will be fun. The sprockets will be a detailed used in the theme of the build.

Redrock Custom PC be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 concept Zeuligan start 05

It was with some sorrow I decided to take Project Zeuligan apart. I need some of the component and decided it was time to move along. After a quick drain and taking the entire build apart I needed to get rid of the leather. Extra happy that I only used like a gallon of superglue, not. Glad I got real tools.

Redrock Custom PC be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 concept Zeuligan start 06

Very tempted to do a full chrome build after watching the naked brushed aluminium showing it self, but not this time.

Redrock Custom PC be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 concept Zeuligan start 07

After a few hours with the grinder and two layers of primers the panels are looking really sexy. Ready for their new coating.

Redrock Custom PC be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 concept Zeuligan start 08

After constructing a temporary spray tent of some builders plastic I went to work with some very red spray paint. At this point I'm worried that it will be to red, but will no for sure once the paint has set.

Redrock Custom PC be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 concept Zeuligan start 09

Redrock Custom PC be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 concept Zeuligan start 10

Smexy. The paint dried a little darker and will be a perfect match for my MDPC-X Italian Red sleeve. Will add two layers of matte varnish before it's ready. That is two more days of literally watching paint dry :)

Redrock Custom PC PSU Shroud be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 concept Zeuligan start 11

Cut a 10mm wide and 1000mm long piece of 3mm acrylic. This will be the front base for the PSU Shroud. Clamped a piece of aluminum tube and went to work with my heat gun.

Redrock Custom PC PSU Shroud be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 concept Zeuligan start 12

Almost perfect, but will try to fix some minor details with the angles once I create the lid / floor of the PSU shroud.

Redrock Custom PC PSU Shroud be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 concept Zeuligan start 13

Taking measurements for the top piece.

Redrock Custom PC PSU Shroud be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 concept Zeuligan start 15

Here I have the lid on top of the PSU Shroud font. This was a good start of project Redrock. I hope you liked it so far and I would love to hear your thoughts. What you feel about the concept of the PSU Shroud?

Sometimes it ends up just as you hadn't planned and becomes better

Custom gaming PCs and scratch builds - Zeuligan computers

• 2 weeks later...

The main part of project Redrock is the custom PSU Shroud with an integrated L shaped beam in red color. Same red color as the exterior. It will be challenging to create a perfect fit of the 3 individual pieces as they are hand crafted. 

redrock-psu-shroud-zeuligan-01-e15216585

I had to redo the entire floor of the PSU Shroud. Decided to do it in 5mm acrylic instead of previous 3mm. Sturdier and easier to keep snug with the front curved part.

redrock-psu-shroud-zeuligan-02-e15216578

I had to create a custom pump bracket to be mounted under lower floor of the custom PSU Shroud.

redrock-psu-shroud-zeuligan-03-e15216579

All 3 individual pieces cut. It took almost 4 hours, as I didn't want to risk to cut the parts to small. So filed each part by hand gradually smaller and smaller until I had the perfect fit.

redrock-psu-shroud-zeuligan-10-e15216582

Used EKWBs pump template on top of a stand of plate to ensure proper location of the holes in the lower floor.

redrock-psu-shroud-zeuligan-04-e15216579

Made myself a spacer plate to go beneath the L-shape to make it "float" at the same time I will act as a sturdier mounting plate for the EKWB D5 Plexi pump.

redrock-psu-shroud-zeuligan-05-e15216580

The lower part of the L-plate with matching holes for the pump.

redrock-psu-shroud-zeuligan-07-e15216581

All parts created for the lower PSU floor and mounting bracket, L beam, custom pump bracket and standof plate. Hope they will fit :)

redrock-psu-shroud-zeuligan-08-e15216581

Used some Acrifix 116 to mount some thing acrylic parts 3mm inside the edge of the main floor of the PSU. This is to ensure that the floor aligns with the front part of the PSU Shroud.

redrock-psu-shroud-zeuligan-09-e15216581

It was worth all those hours filing and sanding. The fit is really good.

redrock-psu-shroud-zeuligan-11-e15216583

I'm really happy with that result. Looks even better than I imagined when I created the concept sketch in Fusion 360 a few weeks ago. Will be so exciting to put this together.

redrock-psu-shroud-zeuligan-12-1024x768.

The round EKWB D5 Plexi top goes really well with the rounded corners of the PSU Shroud. I'm glad I made the decision to create the more complex shape rather than just a square box.

redrock-psu-shroud-zeuligan-13-e15216584

Cut the longer vertical part of the L shaped beam that will be part of the red accent. Made measurements for the EKWB Reservoir brackets and drilled 3 holes dead center.

redrock-psu-shroud-zeuligan-14-e15216584

Brackets mounted, on to next step.

redrock-psu-shroud-zeuligan-15-e15216586

Think the width harmonize really good with the size of the reservoir.

redrock-psu-shroud-zeuligan-16-e15216586

Two really sexy products in an even more prominent position mounted on the L bracket. Hopefully it will look amazing once painted Red.

redrock-psu-shroud-zeuligan-17-e15216587

The entire bracket is mounted 18mm away from the wall. That way I can fit custom addressable LED-strips behind if I want.

redrock-psu-shroud-zeuligan-18-e15216587

Not a bad result for a full days modding. I like the acrylic look, but feel comfortable that once I paint the parts black, grey and red it will looks even better.

Looks great so far, i'd be tempted to put an LCD in the acrylic PSU shroud for temp monitoring, looking forward to more updates, I just considered pass-throughs on my build but ...... not really a way to do it

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

9 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Looks great so far, i'd be tempted to put an LCD in the acrylic PSU shroud for temp monitoring, looking forward to more updates, I just considered pass-throughs on my build but ...... not really a way to do it

I always wanted to do a build with a LCD, like your idea, but might save it for a future mod ;)

Thx for stopping by and for your kind words. Hope I can keep you interested. I'm actually on a deadline, so expect a lot of updates the next 2 weeks so check back often ;) 

I'm exploring the possibility to integrate a hidden RGB LED strip behind a front case cover. Complete with accent sprockets to go with the ASROCK Taichi X399 motherboard. 

redrock-front-cover-sprockets-01.jpg

Started with creating a 40mm wide (half of the Red backside bracket) angled piece in 3 mm acrylic.

redrock-front-cover-sprockets-02-e152209

I plan to use the existing mounting holes of the be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900. Drilled 2 holes with the Dremel drill press in the right location.

redrock-front-cover-sprockets-03-e152209

Tapped the holes...

redrock-front-cover-sprockets-04-e152209

Added a third hole for the tempered glass mounting screw and fastened the bracket to the case. Really snug fit and feels sturdy.

redrock-front-cover-sprockets-05-e152209

Created a quick template in Illustrator, printed and fastened with masking tape.

redrock-front-cover-sprockets-06-e152209

The Dremel Moto-Saw did the job. One large sprocket to be divided into angled pieces.

redrock-front-cover-sprockets-07-e152209

Had to create one more large sprocket to have enough pieces for my mod. Due to the rivets in the corners of the case, I had to add a small indent to the large main piece.

redrock-front-cover-sprockets-08-e152209

Something like this is the plan. Testing mounting positions and the overall look. Would be very interesting to hear what you all think about this solution. Got any suggestion?

redrock-front-cover-sprockets-09-e152209

The plan is to paint all the pieces black (or dark grey) as the Shroud and paint the edges the same red as the accents. Addressable RGB Led strip goes behind the large piece between the front angle and the radiator.

Got an opinion? Please share...

Seen this done before with the sprockets, looked great then now reason why it wont now! 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

2 hours ago, stealth80 said:

Seen this done before with the sprockets, looked great then now reason why it wont now! 

Hard to do something truly unique, but not fun if it's done before either... Thx for your input m8. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's always nice, but time consuming, when you reach the painting stage in a project. I thought about vinyl, but wanted to paint, to check that off my list of things to test and learn. It's also with the paint the accents and the project name will start to come together. 

redrock-zeuligan-painting-be-quiet-dark-

One last test fitting of the base part of the PSU shroud, here in base primer, before painting. The edge of the PSU Shroud floor and the PSU Shroud front edge is just due to not properly fastened.

Made a temporary spray tent in the basement storage and went to work. Two coatings of black and 3 coatings of red.

It's not hard to undertand why so many builds are done in red and black. It is two beautiful colors.

Very happy with the finish as it's just basic spray cans. The be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 really looks great in red and black.

Front panel with door.

Can't leave the bottom unpainted can I  ;)

10 hours ago, Zeuligan said:

-Snip-

Your paint job looks fantastic! Did you use any top coats or varnish?

CPU - 1700X 3.7gHz | CPU Cooler - EK and Singularity Custom Loop | Motherboard -  Asus X370 Crosshair VI w/ EK Monoblock | RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz w/ Silver Paint| Graphics Card - Asus GTX 1080ti Strix OC w/ EK Fullcover block with custom vertical mount | Power Supply - Corsair HX750i w/ self made Custom Cables and 3D printed Combs | Storage - 3x 3TB, 2TB HDD | Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME SSD, 500GB OCZ SSD | Case - Lian Li PC-09 Custom paint | Colour Theme - Silver & Black & RGB lights

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Logitech MX Master 2S Mouse/Wacom Intuos Pro5 Med

On 05/04/2018 at 8:15 AM, Voxels-Box said:

Your paint job looks fantastic! Did you use any top coats or varnish?

one layer of varnish, 3 layers (mostly due to having to sand down some ridges after paint layer 1) red and 1 layer of primer

And thank you for the kind words :)

With a full EK water block cooled ASUS 1080Ti it feels almost mandatory to do a vertical GPU. One thing I learned with Project Zeuligan is that the back of the be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 is a little to flexible to support a GPU without some sag. Therefor I decided to do a full cover plate as a solution for a vertical GPU bracket holder. 

redrock-vertical-gpu-bracket-holder-zeul

Started with marking out the tooths for the motherboard side and went to work with a hand saw.

First I cut a hole for the GPU. Then I did a grid of 10mm squares for one size of holes. This is also something I feel makes a difference when creating items like this. Specially when you do it by hand. Two different sizes of holes will make it look more unified AND will easier mask any small miss-placement of the holes.

3,2mm holes with the Dremel in the Dremel work station drill press. The way I do it and feel works best for me to counter the flexibility of the Dremel is to first position it correctly and do a very very small mark. Then firmly tap the drill a few times before finishing the holes. With constant pressure the drill tend to move to any side, due to the flexibility in the Dremel mounting and the shaft it self.

I added an other 10mm grid, but 5mm repositioned to get a hole every 5mm. These holes I drilled with a 5mm drill.

Created a side bracket with cut outs for the case rivets and threaded the holes for the thumb screws. I also added two fastening plates for the GPU end holder plate. That will be painted red.

Test mounting, feels sturdy and will hopefully keep the GPU perpendicular to the PSU shroud floor.

The backside clearly shows the tooths of the plate.

Painted and with the GPU holder plate painted in red. Acrylic and paint goes a long way.

• 4 months later...

I'm very grateful for the patience of my sponsors and the viewers that still follow me.
I'm finally back and I will also reveal the finished project before I move on with modding (yes).

I'm sorry for the long absence, sometimes life just gives you lemons...and sometimes a whole orchard...

Hope you like it and as always, feedback, thoughts or questions? Just fire away :)

Projekt Redrock - AMD Threadripper 1900x ASROCK Taichi X399 full EKWB Custom loop

Projekt Redrock - AMD Threadripper 1900x ASROCK Taichi X399 full EKWB Custom loop image 01

Projekt Redrock - AMD Threadripper 1900x ASROCK Taichi X399 full EKWB Custom loop image 02

Projekt Redrock - AMD Threadripper 1900x ASROCK Taichi X399 full EKWB Custom loop image 03

Projekt Redrock - AMD Threadripper 1900x ASROCK Taichi X399 full EKWB Custom loop image 0

Projekt Redrock - AMD Threadripper 1900x ASROCK Taichi X399 full EKWB Custom loop image 05

Projekt Redrock - AMD Threadripper 1900x ASROCK Taichi X399 full EKWB Custom loop image 06

Projekt Redrock - AMD Threadripper 1900x ASROCK Taichi X399 full EKWB Custom loop image 07

Projekt Redrock - AMD Threadripper 1900x ASROCK Taichi X399 full EKWB Custom loop image 08

Projekt Redrock - AMD Threadripper 1900x ASROCK Taichi X399 full EKWB Custom loop image 09

Projekt Redrock - AMD Threadripper 1900x ASROCK Taichi X399 full EKWB Custom loop image 10

Projekt Redrock - AMD Threadripper 1900x ASROCK Taichi X399 full EKWB Custom loop image 11

Projekt Redrock - AMD Threadripper 1900x ASROCK Taichi X399 full EKWB Custom loop image 12

Projekt Redrock - AMD Threadripper 1900x ASROCK Taichi X399 full EKWB Custom loop image 13

Projekt Redrock - AMD Threadripper 1900x ASROCK Taichi X399 full EKWB Custom loop image 14

Projekt Redrock - AMD Threadripper 1900x ASROCK Taichi X399 full EKWB Custom loop image 15

Projekt Redrock - AMD Threadripper 1900x ASROCK Taichi X399 full EKWB Custom loop image 16

EK Water Block D5 Plexi pump - Projekt Redrock - AMD Threadripper 1900x ASROCK Taichi X399 full EKWB Custom loop image 17

Enermax TB RGB 120mm fans EK Water Block D5 Plexi pump - Projekt Redrock - AMD Threadripper 1900x ASROCK Taichi X399 full EKWB Custom loop image 18

Redrock Custom PC ASROCK Taichi X399 Zeuligan start 03

Redrock Custom PC PSU Shroud be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 concept Zeuligan start 02

Redrock Custom PC ASROCK Taichi X399 Zeuligan start 01

redrock-zeuligan-gallery-items-01-1024x7

redrock-zeuligan-gallery-items-02-1024x8