Buy now or wait ?

Kenjo

Currently on a 770 2gb card ... just got tax returns and some extra income ;) wondering shall i hold off 2-3 months or should i burn the bank  ? 

1080 / 1080ti ..... i also need to get an 115i corsair and an m.2 drive... no 128gb ones.. 256-512.... 

cpu r7 1700 that i know can do 4ghz already done it on air.... 

16gb ddr4@2666mhz

256 ssd boot / 180ssd game / 500gb hdd storage/drivers disc

Is that ram capable of more? Gpu prices will remain for a while, even so I would be wary of upgrading right now as we will prob see new cards in the next few months 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 hour ago, stealth80 said:

Is that ram capable of more? Gpu prices will remain for a while, even so I would be wary of upgrading right now as we will prob see new cards in the next few months 

I ran them at 3200mhz on my intel platform not sure about this b350 board though ,) 

Its a complete waste of money to upgrade now. However, 2-3 months aint going to change anything. If you got the money and dont mind paying top dollar, then go for it. 

| Ryzen R9 3900x Enermax LIQTECH II 360  | Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero| Nivida FE RTX 2080 Ti | Corsair Vengeance 16gb @3200MHZ | Crucial 500 GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue SSD| Corsair HX 750w  Platinum+ |Corsair Carbide Spec-Omega| Gigabyte Arous 27QD 1440p 144hz

3 minutes ago, SSJGodemis said:

Its a complete waste of money to upgrade now. However, 2-3 months aint going to change anything. If you got the money and dont mind paying top dollar, then go for it. 

2-3 months were expecting new GPU's to be announced from Nvidia, so it will change things, maybe not price, but the performance per $$$ should change

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

I'd wait a bit with more GPU form nivida on the way and also the GTX 1080ti is the same price as a a used car in some situations 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

35 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

2-3 months were expecting new GPU's to be announced from Nvidia, so it will change things, maybe not price, but the performance per $$$ should change

Ahh yeah. In that case Id just wait. Then see if you can pre-order with Nvidia 

| Ryzen R9 3900x Enermax LIQTECH II 360  | Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero| Nivida FE RTX 2080 Ti | Corsair Vengeance 16gb @3200MHZ | Crucial 500 GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue SSD| Corsair HX 750w  Platinum+ |Corsair Carbide Spec-Omega| Gigabyte Arous 27QD 1440p 144hz

You ought not to wait. Just save up for a GTX-1080 TI because it'll be very good for a long time. Unless you're planning to play at 8K res or whatever.

CPU i5-4460 @ 3.2 ghzMotherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 7RAM 32gb Corsair Vengance 1600mhzGPU GTX-750 TICase Carbide 400R | SSD Plextor M8Pe(Y) 256gb NVME | SSHD Barracuda 1TB PSU CX430Display LG 29UM55-P Ultrawide | Keyboard Trust 3-way LEDMouse Razer Death Adder V2 Left Handed | Speakers Genius SW-HF 5.1 6000Headset Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO | Sound Card Xonar Essence STXIIOS Windows 8.1 x64 Professional, build 9600 | Theme(s) Windows 7, Vista & Aero from DeviantArt

12 hours ago, KieuVanQuan said:

You ought not to wait. Just save up for a GTX-1080 TI because it'll be very good for a long time. Unless you're planning to play at 8K res or whatever.

Going to wait.. the 770 2gb is fair enough for now.. albeit at 30fps ;/ but 30 fps vs 100 fps and the cost difference = 0 vs 1000-1200..... so ill wait

Just got back from a local electronics superstore where I would usually never, ever buy components. Reason was that they had an MSI 1060 Aero ITX sitting on the shelf for €269. Usually, that price would be highway robbery, but given the current prices I was more than happy to get even a 3GB, mini 1060 (but with a decent cooler) for that amount. Best price from reputable vendors I can currently find on the web is around €300 for this card - and I've seen it go for even more than that in the past (330-ish).

From all I could find on the web in current articles/press releases, I fear this drought will last a little while longer, so I didn't mind paying a *little* extra to replace my ageing Gigabyte GTX 660. In your case, I would probably start eyeing the 1070 Ti - or look for 1080 (non TI) cards sitting on the shelf for halfway decent prices. The same store where I bought my 1060 had Asus 1080 Turbo cards for under €800 and a 1070 Ti for a little over €600. Not sure how this stuff works in your country, but it seems to me that (over here at least), slightly overpriced brick and mortar electronics stores sitting on older stock might currently be a better option than dedicated PC hardware vendors that sell most of their stuff online.

S.

5 hours ago, andrewmp6 said:

If you want the card and want it at a normal price.Sign up on https://www.evga.com/

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1080-ti/

Both drop limited number of cards to the public at msrp.You have to sign up for auto notify and have the money ready when the time hits.

Nah been talking with the GPU gods and they have assured me ALL current Gpu´s have been dropped by LINUS so ill wait ;)

Omg im really stuck now... 1070ti or 1080 or AmpTuring ;)

OK so today i decided to do this with my Gift Card: 

WD BLack 512gb NVME ssd 
S24 Fractal AiO
and 2 x artic silver thermal paste and 2 x bluetooh speakers for my wife when she is having baths... now to get my Brother to buy a GPU and deduct the VaT with his company ;)

Get the 1080 ti. I was in the same position you are in. I even posted a thread earlier today but i decided to buy 2 evga gtx 1080 to ftw3. I know the new 1s are coming out and I was going to wait but the 1080 tis are still beasty cards and they will last for A very long time and they will play any game in the future. Of course the new 1s will have better stuff but you will be paying even more for those since they are going to be all gone and resold. I paid a $200 over retail for each but they came as bundles so after I sell the unwanted cases and powerlink adapters I will be at a $100 over retail on each. I'm happy with my purchases and I'm going to hold out until they release the 1280tis/2280tis Or whatever they are going to be called. Both your card and have fun because they are going to keep releasing new stuff all the time and you are never going to be satisfied since you are just going to be following the hype, you just have to get out of that mindset 

2 hours ago, MANDINGO said:

Get the 1080 ti. I was in the same position you are in. I even posted a thread earlier today but i decided to buy 2 evga gtx 1080 to ftw3. I know the new 1s are coming out and I was going to wait but the 1080 tis are still beasty cards and they will last for A very long time and they will play any game in the future. Of course the new 1s will have better stuff but you will be paying even more for those since they are going to be all gone and resold. I paid a $200 over retail for each but they came as bundles so after I sell the unwanted cases and powerlink adapters I will be at a $100 over retail on each. I'm happy with my purchases and I'm going to hold out until they release the 1280tis/2280tis Or whatever they are going to be called. Both your card and have fun because they are going to keep releasing new stuff all the time and you are never going to be satisfied since you are just going to be following the hype, you just have to get out of that mindset 

Your making valid points but remember that GPU mining is "dead" with the difficulty increases and Asic´s ;) you will see the used market crash with loads of 10 series cards and usually the next gen 80´s cards perform just below previous gen´s Ti version, so a 11/2080 will be almost as powerful as a Ti of the previous gen so getting a 2080 for 550-650 usd compared to a 1080ti for 1100... its simple.. so regardless of my Tech devil telling me to Buy now i will hodl hodl (crypto joke)... 

57 minutes ago, Kenjo said:

Your making valid points but remember that GPU mining is "dead" with the difficulty increases and Asic´s ;) you will see the used market crash with loads of 10 series cards and usually the next gen 80´s cards perform just below previous gen´s Ti version, so a 11/2080 will be almost as powerful as a Ti of the previous gen so getting a 2080 for 550-650 usd compared to a 1080ti for 1100... its simple.. so regardless of my Tech devil telling me to Buy now i will hodl hodl (crypto joke)... 

The new 11/2080s will not be 550-650 nvidia even stated that the prices will increase and I will never buy a used 10 series card that been used for mining since it' been used and abused and constantly running at high temps. But to each their own I'm going to enjoy my cards until the 12/2180s come out. I was going to wait just like you but I know for a fact that mining isn' going away anytime soon and trying to get a new 11/2080 is going to be next to impossible unless you are willing to pay the ridiculous resale mark up, hell I was lucky enough to find both my 1080 tis

33 minutes ago, MANDINGO said:

The new 11/2080s will not be 550-650 nvidia even stated that the prices will increase and I will never buy a used 10 series card that been used for mining since it' been used and abused and constantly running at high temps. But to each their own I'm going to enjoy my cards until the 12/2180s come out. I was going to wait just like you but I know for a fact that mining isn' going away anytime soon and trying to get a new 11/2080 is going to be next to impossible unless you are willing to pay the ridiculous resale mark up, hell I was lucky enough to find both my 1080 tis

Well mining is going away .. all the latest news says that gpu mining is nearly "dead" due to the difficulty increases and the fact that bitmain as i said is releasing an Asic miner.. ;)

41 minutes ago, Kenjo said:

Well mining is going away .. all the latest news says that gpu mining is nearly "dead" due to the difficulty increases and the fact that bitmain as i said is releasing an Asic miner.. ;)

The new bitmain miner is going to be $12,000 and already said to not be effective on the very ASIC resistant coins it is designed for.

Unfortunately miners are going to just keep buying GPUs as they can mine whatever is profitable and sell their worn out cards to gamers a few months later unaware that card had a 24/7 load.

39 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The new bitmain miner is going to be $12,000 and already said to not be effective on the very ASIC resistant coins it is designed for.

Unfortunately miners are going to just keep buying GPUs as they can mine whatever is profitable and sell their worn out cards to gamers a few months later unaware that card had a 24/7 load.

The profit made from mining with 1 or 100 gpu´s is dwindling, considering Eth is now 450 usd compared to 1300 usd.... and the difficulty is thru the roof... the profit margins for gpu mining is gone and will be for a long while so be prepared to see the used market flooded ... and with Nvidia coming out with a new gen the 10 series will be dropping like flies ;) keep up the patience people you will soon see masses of 1060 to 1080ti´s on craigs/ebay for low low prices since they need to push them BEFORE the new cards launch to not lose even more money on the cards ! ... dont buy em though considering mining isnt that great for a gpu ... 100% load is still 100% load regardless of power usage

1 hour ago, Kenjo said:

I see cards being sold used but I also see cards still flying off the shelves even tho they aree priced at 1300 I still see them being sold out within minutes of them being restocked while they are knowing new cards are coming out. Mining isn't a going away any time soon, I would like it to go away but I'm a realist and mining is not going to go away it' just too popular and people are chasing it. If you think you are going to get a new 11/2080 card at 550-650 even by buying it direct from nvidia you are wrong because even nvidia said they are hiking up the prices and if you don' believe me you should look it up yourself 

26 minutes ago, MANDINGO said:

I see cards being sold used but I also see cards still flying off the shelves even tho they aree priced at 1300 I still see them being sold out within minutes of them being restocked while they are knowing new cards are coming out. Mining isn't a going away any time soon, I would like it to go away but I'm a realist and mining is not going to go away it' just too popular and people are chasing it. If you think you are going to get a new 11/2080 card at 550-650 even by buying it direct from nvidia you are wrong because even nvidia said they are hiking up the prices and if you don' believe me you should look it up yourself 

I know what has been said and rewritten in the media outlets with their interpetation of what has been said, Mining with GPU´s is dying no matter how you look at it... ethereum is crashing hard its lost 3 times what it was worth 2months ago also other coins are crashing, THe 1080ti´s ur seeing flying of the shelves are because they are still somewhat profitable but not for long, Nvidias statement on prices are discussing the current lineup of cards ergo the 10 series with gddr5 / x ... the new series of cards will not use gddr5 except for the budget versions perhaps while the mid to high end will use gddr6 / hbm2... seeing as there are 3 major players now focusing on gddr6 ahead of gddr5 which the mobile industry keeps munching up for their "new" flagships... 

I will stick with what i belive is going to happen soon/soonish which is a boom in the wrong direction for miners and great direction for gaming consumers.. 

Eth 450 today.. next week 250... 
Bitcoin wont reach its highs again in 1-3 years current bitcoin is 8.3k december it was 19k + .... it happens every 5-8 years in the coin market.. it rises and falls... like a normal stock market, and considering the ammount of effort google/china/asia is putting in to stopping it dont be surprised to see it fail even harder this time around...