Motherboard makes cracking sound when heated up.

So for a reason that is not important I needed to use a hairdryer on my motherboard and I noticed that when I heat up the backside of my motherboard it makes a not so loud crack sound. The sound came when I heated up the backside of my mobo with the pc powered off and unplugged. Is this anything to worry about?

Nope, thermal expansion happens with everything. Some things make little to no noise when they're heated and some make tons. It's the same thing that happens when you hear cars making a metallic clinking sound in a parking lot.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

4 minutes ago, violentnumeric said:

Nope, thermal expansion happens with everything. Some things make little to no noise when they're heated and some make tons. It's the same thing that happens when you hear cars making a metallic clinking sound in a parking lot.

So I shouldn't worry that it happened to my motherboard?

Probably not, no. But you should make sure if you're heating up sensitive electronics like that, you don't just blast one tiny spot with intense heat, you should try to heat up the whole board at least somewhat above room temperature to make the expansion more even.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

4 minutes ago, violentnumeric said:

Probably not, no. But you should make sure if you're heating up sensitive electronics like that, you don't just blast one tiny spot with intense heat, you should try to heat up the whole board at least somewhat above room temperature to make the expansion more even.

Ok, but if I did heat it up on one spot one time should I worry.

if it doesn't work yes if it does don't worry to much and just don't keep doing that.

main system build --> i7-7700K (at 5.0 ghz), MSI Z270 SLI Motherboard, corsair vengeance lpx 8gb ddr4 2666mhz,  costume liquid cooling loop with 360 mm radiator on CPU, GTX 1080 gigabyte windforce OC, 1TB WD drive, 128 gb samsung nvme m.2, EVGA 850 watt semi modular power supply, CM storm stryker case (ya not ideal for costume loop), VIOTEK GN34C 34 inch curved monitor <----

Spoiler

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world."

13 minutes ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

Ok, but if I did heat it up on one spot one time should I worry.

The only reason to worry would be if it doesn't work, but I find it highly unlikely considering how motherboards are designed to get hot in small areas while staying cool in others.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

24 minutes ago, showerhandle said:

if it doesn't work yes if it does don't worry to much and just don't keep doing that.

It works

22 minutes ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

It works

then you are all good. Just try not to heat one spot again.

main system build --> i7-7700K (at 5.0 ghz), MSI Z270 SLI Motherboard, corsair vengeance lpx 8gb ddr4 2666mhz,  costume liquid cooling loop with 360 mm radiator on CPU, GTX 1080 gigabyte windforce OC, 1TB WD drive, 128 gb samsung nvme m.2, EVGA 850 watt semi modular power supply, CM storm stryker case (ya not ideal for costume loop), VIOTEK GN34C 34 inch curved monitor <----

Spoiler

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world."

1 hour ago, violentnumeric said:

The only reason to worry would be if it doesn't work, but I find it highly unlikely considering how motherboards are designed to get hot in small areas while staying cool in others.

But if it is expanding and making cracking noises wouldn't this damage the motherboard overtime?

27 minutes ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

But if it is expanding and making cracking noises wouldn't this damage the motherboard overtime?

It's unlikely but possible, if it works at all it did absolutely no damage this time.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

10 minutes ago, violentnumeric said:

It's unlikely but possible, if it works at all it did absolutely no damage this time.

I mean the warping sound itself. It happens when use my pc as well.

No, the sound itself probably meant nothing. When things expand, sometimes pieces attached to it will suddenly slip and make a sound, odds are the sound itself wasn't an actual crack or anything.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

9 minutes ago, violentnumeric said:

No, the sound itself probably meant nothing. When things expand, sometimes pieces attached to it will suddenly slip and make a sound, odds are the sound itself wasn't an actual crack or anything.

Ok, so i should be fine

1 hour ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

Every motherboard does this already, yours might just be a bit more intense. Since you heated one area up more, it gave it more room to expand into hence the sounds coming out of it now. The extra room allows it to expand more and so there'll be more damage over time but you're still probably looking at YEARS until the damage is bad enough to cause any noticeable problems. Maybe optimise airflow and add a fan over your motherboard if you're that concerned, but I wouldn't worry.

3 minutes ago, A1Mike_W said:

Every motherboard does this already, yours might just be a bit more intense. Since you heated one area up more, it gave it more room to expand into hence the sounds coming out of it now. The extra room allows it to expand more and so there'll be more damage over time but you're still probably looking at YEARS until the damage is bad enough to cause any noticeable problems. Maybe optimise airflow and add a fan over your motherboard if you're that concerned, but I wouldn't worry.

Just wierd becouse my temps are actually quite good.

Do you have all the spacers where you screw the board to the case (all the metal things that keep the board distanced from the back plate of the case) ?

Are all the screws there, are they tightly screwed?

The motherboards usually have a lot of copper so they don't expand or shrink as easily with heat, there's a lot of metal which conducts away heat quickly. However, the metal of the case can flex a bit and if your screws are not tight, you may hear those sounds.

4 minutes ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

Just wierd becouse my temps are actually quite good.

Mobo temps? I don't think any motherboard has enough sensors to check it well enough without employing a thermal imaging camera. Still, the whole problem isn't worth buying one for the sake of investigating. The board will be fine.

5 minutes ago, A1Mike_W said:

Mobo temps? I don't think any motherboard has enough sensors to check it well enough without employing a thermal imaging camera. Still, the whole problem isn't worth buying one for the sake of investigating. The board will be fine.

Ok, just wierd that the sound can come becouse of temperature fluctuations of 30 degrees celcius