Prodigy with GTX690 (Aircooled) a good idea?

tcollinson

Hey,

Building my 1st PC in 5 years next month. I'm still trying to decide on components. I just want to start off with a question. Is an aircooled GTX690 in a Prodigy case a bad idea? I know it's an overkill card for sure but I want this thing to last as long as possible and I've got money that would just end up as shoes for my girlfriend :P I understand that hot air will be coming out of both sides of the GTX so should I make the front of the case an exhaust? I'm planning on getting the black case with the mesh on the front. I'm also planning on mounting a corsair H100i on the top. If I were to put an exhaust on the front of the case, should I make the intake through top radiator or is that just stupid? I've never built in this tight of a form factor and I've never really dealt with heat management. Enlighten me.

Thanks guys,

T

It should be fine on air. The H100i on top with the fans on top of the rad as exhaust so it's easier to clean the dust and the rest as intake. But I'd go with a 680 or a 7970 ghz but if you have the money by all means gtx the 690 or maybe a Titan

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Titan would eliminate the heat issue, as it will exhaust all of its air out the back. It's fairly close in performance and it's a single GPU, so no game compatibility issues.

Titan is much better than a 690. It actually gives you enough more oomph than a 680 that you'll notice it, and it's much more efficient in heat and noise. A blower type cooler is also much more appropriate in the Bitfenix Prodigy, because the air going through the GPU never interferes with your internal case temp. Just DON'T get a windowed panel, you'll screw up that entire advantage.

As for air cooling, sure it'll work. Why not? The Prodigy is one of the best air flow cases on the market, regardless of form factor.

In my prodigy, I've got a 230mm intake fan in the front, two half-RPM intake fans with extra dust filters (you will need those, the mesh cover lets through dust) in the top, and a 140mm exhaust in the back. Plenty of air to keep both my high-thermal waste GTX 470 and overclocked 5.1 ghz i5-3570K at sweet temperatures.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Titan is much better than a 690. It actually gives you enough more oomph than a 680 that you'll notice it' date=' and it's much more efficient in heat and noise. A blower type cooler is also much more appropriate in the Bitfenix Prodigy, because the air going through the GPU never interferes with your internal case temp. Just DON'T get a windowed panel, you'll screw up that entire advantage. As for air cooling, sure it'll work. Why not? The Prodigy is one of the best air flow cases on the market, regardless of form factor. In my prodigy, I've got a 230mm intake fan in the front, two half-RPM intake fans with extra dust filters (you will need those, the mesh cover lets through dust) in the top, and a 140mm exhaust in the back. Plenty of air to keep both my high-thermal waste GTX 470 and overclocked 5.1 ghz i5-3570K at sweet temperatures.[/quote']

What kind of CPU heatsink do you have?

Titan is much better than a 690. It actually gives you enough more oomph than a 680 that you'll notice it' date=' and it's much more efficient in heat and noise. A blower type cooler is also much more appropriate in the Bitfenix Prodigy, because the air going through the GPU never interferes with your internal case temp. Just DON'T get a windowed panel, you'll screw up that entire advantage. As for air cooling, sure it'll work. Why not? The Prodigy is one of the best air flow cases on the market, regardless of form factor. In my prodigy, I've got a 230mm intake fan in the front, two half-RPM intake fans with extra dust filters (you will need those, the mesh cover lets through dust) in the top, and a 140mm exhaust in the back. Plenty of air to keep both my high-thermal waste GTX 470 and overclocked 5.1 ghz i5-3570K at sweet temperatures.[/quote']

What kind of CPU heatsink do you have?

I'm using a CoolerMaster Hyper 412S.

Edit: Though the amount of overclock I was able to get has more to do with my particular chip than the cooler, you really need to be lucky to get a chip that good, like top 10% of produced i5-3570Ks.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Titan is much better than a 690. It actually gives you enough more oomph than a 680 that you'll notice it, and it's much more efficient in heat and noise. A blower type cooler is also much more appropriate in the Bitfenix Prodigy, because the air going through the GPU never interferes with your internal case temp. Just DON'T get a windowed panel, you'll screw up that entire advantage.

As for air cooling, sure it'll work. Why not? The Prodigy is one of the best air flow cases on the market, regardless of form factor.

In my prodigy, I've got a 230mm intake fan in the front, two half-RPM intake fans with extra dust filters (you will need those, the mesh cover lets through dust) in the top, and a 140mm exhaust in the back. Plenty of air to keep both my high-thermal waste GTX 470 and overclocked 5.1 ghz i5-3570K at sweet temperatures.

Geeze you got lucky in the silicon lottery :D

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

What voltage is that i5 at?

Athlon X4 760K | MSI A88X-G43 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz | MSI R7 260X 2GB | Corsair 300R | Corsair CX430 | 640GB HDD | Windows 7 64-bit

HP W2071d 20" 900p TN | Stock Dell K/B | Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 + SteelSeries Qck Portal 2 Ed. | Grado SR80i + cheap 2.0 speakers

I like your thinking tcollinson but scene as heat rises its probably best to keep the roof as an exhaust. If you have the money then you could watercool the gpu (I think you can get closed loop kits for gpus). If you use get a dual rad for the gpu then you could get a h80 for the CPU or an nzxt kraken 140mm as the back of the case supports a 140mm fan. Alternatively, you could build a custom watercooling loop and you could even mount a rad in the front as well as the roof and back!

Also, if your into modding, prehaps you could fit a 120mm in the floor (by removing the hdd cages) and use that as an intake, giving you more flexibility with exhausts. Just an idea.

OnePlus 6T

wow....just wow.

5.1ghz on a $40 heatsink.

so what kind of temps are you getting,and as asked by zombifiedpyro what voltage is it at?

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Yes, it is a bad idea! Why would you buy a 690 when a Titan is much better for the price!? The titan is quieter, more powerful, and is smaller than the 690. I would recommend the Cubitek mini cube for a case because it can fit a titan, it has cable management in the back of the case which the prodigy does not, and it's much smaller. I personally have a prodigy for my PC and I can honestly say that I wholeheartedly regret that choice. The Fractal Design node 304 and the Cubitek mini cube are both much better options because they are both much smaller and perform better. If you want to water cool your CPU buy the Node 304 since it has a 140mm fan bay - just use an H80i - , which the mini cube doesn't. Whatever you end up choosing just use a titan because as I said it performs miles ahead of the 690 for the same price, and the prodigy isn't a terrible case but the Node 304 and mini cube are both better options. They also both run very quiet if that is a factor.

By the way the Prodigy is absolutely HUGE for an ITX case and the space inside of it is not managed all that great either. You definitely don't have to worry about heat though because trust me there is plenty of space in the prodigy. Watch Linus's video where he puts a Titan in the mini cube [url=

]
[/url=
] .

I like your thinking tcollinson but scene as heat rises its probably best to keep the roof as an exhaust. If you have the money then you could watercool the gpu (I think you can get closed loop kits for gpus). If you use get a dual rad for the gpu then you could get a h80 for the CPU or an nzxt kraken 140mm as the back of the case supports a 140mm fan. Alternatively, you could build a custom watercooling loop and you could even mount a rad in the front as well as the roof and back!

Also, if your into modding, prehaps you could fit a 120mm in the floor (by removing the hdd cages) and use that as an intake, giving you more flexibility with exhausts. Just an idea.

Didn't want to start a new thread for just this question, but will an H90 fit in a Prodigy? I know it has a 140mm fan mount, but will the radiator be too bulky to fit?

No, but you would have to remove the hdd cages. You can also fit a dual 120mm if u can sacrifice the 5.25 bay

OnePlus 6T

Don't be put off by having to remove the hdd cages though, because you can mount 5 ssds in it without them (two on the side panel, two in front of the psu cage, and one on the floor below where the hdd cages are)

OnePlus 6T

The Prodigy is small on the outside and VERY large (In terms of compatibility) in the inside. The 690 should be fine considering that there's a side vent on the Prodigy where the GPU and suck air directly out side.

Have fun building your PC! Message me for Parts considerations if needed.