Budget Headphones ~£50

DocBrown

Hey I am looking for some budget over ear headphones for my PC/phone. They would be used for gaming on my PC and music while i'm on the go.

What kind of genre do you listen to? Preferably with links.

Will you be using them in noisy environments?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Just now, GER_T4IGA said:

What kind of genre do you listen to? Preferably with links.

Will you be using them in noisy environments?

I mostly listen to hip hop or electro swing 

and i would be using them in the train if i was on my phone but otherwise it wouldn't be noisy.

Probably want clossed back headphones then .. over ear style.

Other tham my ATHM50s's (~£100 iirc) the only other pair iv used with that style is the Seinhesier HD202 ~(£30) ..they are under your budget, so im sure there is somthing better out their.

TBH you'd be better of asking the people over at the Head-fi forums.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

2 minutes ago, DocBrown said:

I mostly listen to hip hop or electro swing 

and i would be using them in the train if i was on my phone but otherwise it wouldn't be noisy.

If you will use them on the go open back is pretty much of limits.

Music wise you could lean towards something more low end focussed. I am not sure about exact models. I am just trying to set a general vicinity of headphones.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

OK, a while back I heard Beyerdynamic DT 235. Are those available anywhere near you?

To bef air they were not super comfortable but had a decent sound for my taste and kick the shit of my Bose Ae2s back then.

They should be closed back but had weird pads iirc :/

3.Use

9 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Probably want clossed back headphones then .. over ear style.

Other tham my ATHM50s's (~£100 iirc) the only other pair iv used with that style is the Seinhesier HD202 ~(£30) ..they are under your budget, so im sure there is somthing better out their.

TBH you'd be better of asking the people over at the Head-fi forums.

Don't get M50s, terrible headphones.

These would be my pick. Crazy bass headphones that actually sound good. I own a good amount of headphones, all of which are far more expensive than these, and I bought a set and new pads for them that cost as much as the headphones themselves because they are so crazy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monoprice-Modern-Retro-Headphones-116150/dp/B01M7Z0VKR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520800595&sr=8-1&keywords=monoprice+retro

6 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Don't get M50s, terrible headphones.

Are they overated , sure.. Much like how the Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo is .

But nether are bad :P

I mean i wouldnt get them today if i need a replacment ..they seem to have gone up in price since i bought them lol. But they are good for a 'entry level' set of cans. To pricey even at the price i bougth hem for, for 'budget' cans though.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

1 minute ago, SolarNova said:

Are they overated , sure.. Much like how the Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo is .

But nether are bad :P

I mean i wouldnt get them today if i need a replacment ..they seem to have gone up in price since i bought them lol. But they are good for a 'entry level' set of cans. To pricey even at the price i bougth hem for, for 'budget' cans though.

I would have to disagree. They are bad, nearly unusable. I wouldn't use them at any price point. 

3 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

I would have to disagree. They are bad, nearly unusable. I wouldn't use them at any price point. 

Appreciate your thorough review.

I just tested myself with ur treble music example.

Using a FiiO X3K in DAC mode , high gain, Max volume. (very loud)

Sounded fine imo easily tolerable.

meh nvm, personaly preferencei  supose :)

Anyway OP, i still think you should head up to Head-Fi.org , they are allabout Audio equipment :)

Just now, SolarNova said:

Appreciate your thorough review.

I just tested myself with ur treble music example.

Using a FiiO X3K in DAC mode , high gain, Max volume. (very loud)

Sounded fine imo easily tolerable.

meh nvm, personaly preferencei  supose :)

Anyway OP, i still think you should head up to Head-Fi.org , they are allabout Audio equipment :)

But that doesn't change the garbage mids, no sound stage, no imaging, poor micro detail, etc.... Terrible headphones. There is stuff below $30 that sounds better.

In the M50x's defense, they're not bad sounding headphones. To each their own, but I'm willing to bet that you all prefer the M40x. The M50x has a more fun sound; ie v shaped. Not to make this entire thread an argument, here's a few recommendations. The Sony ZX770AP, I tried their little brother, the ZX660AP's and was pleasantly surprised by them, so I reckon that these will be a bit better. Another recommendation- AKG K92, this is going off my friends advice, but they seem pretty good for their price, they also sell themselves on a reference sound. A bit off topic as you're asking for over ear headphones but the apple earpods, with sufficient tweaking of the equalizer are pretty amazing given the price and track record of Apple. Anyway, good luck with those headphones

3 hours ago, IAR117 said:

In the M50x's defense, they're not bad sounding headphones. To each their own, but I'm willing to bet that you all prefer the M40x. The M50x has a more fun sound; ie v shaped. Not to make this entire thread an argument, here's a few recommendations. The Sony ZX770AP, I tried their little brother, the ZX660AP's and was pleasantly surprised by them, so I reckon that these will be a bit better. Another recommendation- AKG K92, this is going off my friends advice, but they seem pretty good for their price, they also sell themselves on a reference sound. A bit off topic as you're asking for over ear headphones but the apple earpods, with sufficient tweaking of the equalizer are pretty amazing given the price and track record of Apple. Anyway, good luck with those headphones

Yes they are bad sounding headphones. Why do you say they sound good?

Get Creative Aurvana Live for around 60 its best under 100 if you want natyral,smooth vocals its crushes ph9500 or the cloud 2 in my queen album i just couldnt belive how much more natyral freddie voice is compared to sh95 or c2 they both have like a sea of grainy,way to clean like supper crystal making him sound robot a bit in upper mid to high frequency,and cal are way more relaxed in high frequency range,less fatigin.Only problem is has small soundstage,poor isolation and feels like gona break any minute but in my opinion if you care about vocals more like acoustic music when its vocals and a single guitar man cal goes ultra instict compared to sh95 or c2,loses when listening to metal music like system of down.

On 3/13/2018 at 10:42 PM, Max_Settings said:

Yes they are bad sounding headphones. Why do you say they sound good?

I don't personally think they sound good, but as I said earlier, sound is subjective and some like it's sound.

16 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

I don't personally think they sound good, but as I said earlier, sound is subjective and some like it's sound.

They only like it because they haven’t experienced what else there is that’s better.