Motherboard and Graphics Card Compatibility

Go to solution Solved by Unimaginative Name,

Yerp, as long as you have a 16x slot open. If the PC is a prebuilt (doesn't appear to be per the spec sheet), make sure it can take a full height expansion slot (rules or measuring tape). 1050ti's sometimes have power connectors and sometimes don't. If your PSU doesn't have the proper connector, you could always get a molex adapter. If price is an object, you can also look at a 4GB GTX 960, about the same performance as a 1050ti. 

Hello Linus Community,

I got a desktop for free that I would love to update with a new GPU and I want to make sure the GPU will be compatible with the Motherboard. My Motherboard is using is an ASUS Micro-ATX B85M-E. It currently has an open PCI Express 3.0/2.0 port and I plan on filling it with a GTX 1050TI (not sure which manufacturer yet). Would this graphics card be compatible with my motherboard? Also, I would most likely need a new power supply unit, but that's besides the point.

My specs aren't too good, but hey, it's a free computer. These are my specs:

• Processor: i3 4730
  • Graphics Card: Intel HD 6000 Integrated Graphics
  • Motherboard: ASUS B85M-E
  • RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 (forgot the manufacturer)
  • Power Supply Unit: 300W (forgot the manufacturer)
  • Storage: 512GB HDD (forgot the manufacturer)

Hope to hear your responses soon, thanks!

Influx

Yerp, as long as you have a 16x slot open. If the PC is a prebuilt (doesn't appear to be per the spec sheet), make sure it can take a full height expansion slot (rules or measuring tape). 1050ti's sometimes have power connectors and sometimes don't. If your PSU doesn't have the proper connector, you could always get a molex adapter. If price is an object, you can also look at a 4GB GTX 960, about the same performance as a 1050ti. 

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

1 minute ago, Unimaginative Name said:

Awesome advice! Thanks!