headphones for around $200

djewell314

I was looking for a nice pair of headphones for my computer for around $200 and was wondering what some good options are?

I would be using them for gaming and listening to music.

I primarily listen to classic rock and aternative/accustic rock.

I've been looking at the Grado sr225i but i have head some bad things about comfort and durrability.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

I've been looking at the Grado sr225i but i have head some bad things about comfort and durrability.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

I cannot comment on the durability, but if you don't like the fact that's on-ear, you can change the earcups to make it over the ear. 

You can also look into the HD 558 or ATH AD(7/9)00x

I cannot comment on the durability, but if you don't like the fact that's on-ear, you can change the earcups to make it over the ear. 

You can also look into the HD 558 or ATH AD(7/9)00x

I've heard that the audio technicas are amazing for female vocals, but i almost exclusivly listen to male vocals

I've heard that the audio technicas are amazing for female vocals, but i almost exclusivly listen to male vocals

since you listen to primarily rock, you are going to want something with "neutral". Meaning it has proper mid and treble reproduction. I was just recommending headphones that fit in that bracket of speciality. Look above for other suggestions. 

*note, COP stands for Custom One Pro's

I know this might not make sense, but you should concern yourself more about build and fit for your first/only pair of nice headphones. Everything I've seen recommended so far will sound great, but they all fit differently and you might prefer one fit over the other.

Just my 2 cents.

I know this might not make sense, but you should concern yourself more about build and fit for your first/only pair of nice headphones. Everything I've seen recommended so far will sound great, but they all fit differently and you might prefer one fit over the other.

Just my 2 cents.

so as my first pair of nice headphones they will all sound great and i should focus on comfort instead?

so as my first pair of nice headphones they will all sound great and i should focus on comfort instead?

Yes. Sure, we can argue about what sounds better for what music, but that's based a lot on personal preferences. Since you can't just go down to a store and listen to each side by side to compare, and you don't have other nice headphones laying around, you have no point of reference for what we'd be arguing about.

Yes. Sure, we can argue about what sounds better for what music, but that's based a lot on personal preferences. Since you can't just go down to a store and listen to each side by side to compare, and you don't have other nice headphones laying around, you have no point of reference for what we'd be arguing about.

so would you sugest the ad900x or hd598?

so would you sugest the ad900x or hd598?

I can't possibly know which'd be more preferable to you, but I can highlight the differences.

Sennheiser pros would be one continuous band across your head and the oval earpads surround your ear in a more natural shape than typical round earcups, making the fit very snug. Pros of the audio-technica would be the wing system puts very minimal pressure on your head and the whole thing is very light weight - it's easy to forget its on your head sometimes. Both are very comfortable, but in different ways.

For me, Sennheiser headphones are more comfortable. The drawback of the AT I don't like is the lack of a vertical hinge - it'll feel like a V over your ears or that the thing is slipping off, and the ghetto solution involves a rubberband.

I'd say of all the headphones under $200, the most comfortable (and sturdy) I've tried is the DT990pro.  As long as you don't mind the coiled cable.  Sometimes you can find the AKG K612 for $200, it's pretty comfortable.  Also there's the Shure SRH840.  So many good options at the $200 mark.  It really is the sweet spot.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

dt880 pro (250 ohm)  vs  ad900x  vs  hd598  vs  k701?

do you like bass or treble more?

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

do you like bass or treble more?

i listen to classic rock and inie alternative. so i think mids? i dont like too much bass but it needs to be present.

i listen to classic rock and inie alternative. so i think mids? i dont like too much bass but it needs to be present.

Probably the 880's then.

Probably the 880's then.

Seems legit.

Audiotechnica's got more mids, but the highs on the k 701 are sweet like molasses.

Seems legit.

Audiotechnica's got more mids, but the highs on the k 701 are sweet like molasses.

Not sure about the k701 but the q701's mids were average.

Not sure about the k701 but the q701's mids were average.

I concur, just saying the highs make some rock songs (stairway to heaven?) pure magic.

However, I don't know what I didn't mention this, but the CHC is freaking fantastic for rock music. My review is going to be a solid 11/10.

I concur, just saying the highs make some rock songs (stairway to heaven?) pure magic.

However, I don't know what I didn't mention this, but the CHC is freaking fantastic for rock music. My review is going to be a solid 11/10.

You seem very skeptical of my love for these, bro. I'd like to think I've earned better than that.

for rock i would say http://www.californiaheadphones.com/silverado.html they are great for rock

^^ they are made for rock :P

heres a quick talk about them from some youtuber that i watch 

http://youtu.be/dAnRerbJ5ik?t=5m18s

Jinx - pinch poke you owe me a coke.

Jinx - pinch poke you owe me a coke.

sorry i just had something else to back up your statement :P