Brand new laptop HDD always on 100%

ChernobilChuck

Hey guys,

I just bought a new laptop(lenovo y520), installed windows 10 home on it and it's incredible slow to react, games run nicely but opening a folder sometimes takes 10seconds, just clicking on stuff or trying to type in windows is really delayed.

So i started troubleshooting, where do i start, checked the hdd with that it works normally(hd sentinel,aida64), disabled paging file, disabled superfetch,windows diagnostics,windows search, checked windows updates, installed an antivirus so defender doesn't do checks in the background, probably more but they don't come to my mind at the moment, and the thing is the hdd always runs on 100%(checked it task manager and hd sentinel) but the write/read is almost zero mb/s usually, im pretty sure it's windows's fault even if it's only a 5400rpm hdd it just can't be slower than 10year old pcs... Any ideas why could it happen? and how do i fix it?

Thanks for the help in advance :D

Quick update, i found somthing that improved the situation a lot, it has a 2tb drive and i used 1 2tb C:/ drive i shrinked it and now it's 2 1tb drives and for some reason it's not 100% all the time but still quite unstable, i start anything it like to go up to 100% instantly but opening stuff is now alright, still should perform better imo but now i can beleive it's because it's only a hdd.

8 minutes ago, ChernobilChuck said:

disabled paging file, disabled superfetch,

This makes it slower, don't do this.

Get a ssd, thats your problem.

you may have all sort of stuff from manufacturer, Do clean install of windows

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

This makes it slower, don't do this.

Get a ssd, thats your problem.

The hdd just can't be that slow, in work we have quite the slow pc but it's still 100times faster, if i open a folder and then go to the desktop and then i press on the folder it takes about 3-5seconds that it registers the click then another 5-7seconds while it opens it.... the hdd does something in the background but i have no clue what and can't figure it out anyhow.

2 minutes ago, Zmax said:

you may have all sort of stuff from manufacturer, Do clean install of windows

I installed the windows by myself yesterday, it came without it.

Just now, ChernobilChuck said:

Did you format the drive. Just in case

Just now, Zmax said:

Did you format the drive. Just in case

Yes, i had to because it was mdr instead of gpt.

2 minutes ago, ChernobilChuck said:

The hdd just can't be that slow, in work we have quite the slow pc but it's still 100times faster, if i open a folder and then go to the desktop and then i press on the folder it takes about 3-5seconds that it registers the click then another 5-7seconds while it opens it.... the hdd does something in the background but i have no clue what and can't figure it out anyhow.

Try a different hdd, could be a dud. What does the smart data show.

But really get a ssd, 60 bucks for so much faster.

Also could be doing things like updates and driver installs, let it sit for a day.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Try a different hdd, could be a dud. What does the smart data show.

But really get a ssd, 60 bucks for so much faster.

Also could be doing things like updates and driver installs, let it sit for a day.

Could be the hdd but i read so many people returned it and they got a new which did the same(different notebooks), also there was this time with fortnite when i started it up i really didn't want to start but randomly in the loading screen it kind of snapped, and it worked perfectly, even windows worked perfectly when i alt+tabbed so i really think it's some windows problem.

I will get a ssd for it probably next month.

I checked the updates and stuff, it really seems like it's not updating anything by now.

If your antivirus is running all the time, and scanning this will drop your access speed. Try to schedule the scanning to a specific time. 

See in Resource monitor and try to find anti virus, and at what percentage the CPU is working on that task. 

1 minute ago, Zmax said:

If your antivirus is running all the time, and scanning this will drop your access speed. 

See in Resource monitor and try to find anti virus, and at what percentage the CPU is working on that task. 

I checked resource monitor, it sees that the hdd is on 100% but write/read is close to zero, in resource monitor the hdd doesn't work on anything but still is on 100%.

Defender likes to do background stuff so i installed a different antivirus(avast) and it did an initial check up but from what i can see it doesn't do anything at the moment.

Just now, Zmax said:

It may be a defective HDD, but just a guest.

Could be, i will tinker with it for a little bit more see if i can make it work, if not then maybe return it or even install linux just to see if it's a windows problem or hardware.

have you tried doing a clean boot? it could be all that bloatware messing stuff up that comes with the laptop. mostly lenovo's softwares. disable them all and see how it goes