24" to 27" panel upgrade worth it?

Hello all!

So I am currently looking into upgrading my 24" 1080p panel to a 27" 1440p monitor. First of all, barring the resolution difference, is the upgrade in screen space alone worth the upgrade? Otherwise, I'd be gaining VA as opposed to TN plus the aforementioned ~1.8X resolution uptick. Thoughts?

")

Those gross logs our dog leaves behind is an upgrade over a TN panel.

13 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

i changed from 23 1080p to 27 1440p and it is well worth it 

Actual useful comment, thank you! Anybody else with real comments?

29 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Not helpful...at all. Edit: Didn't understand what you meant.

Edited by DannyBoy312
Clarity

25 minutes ago, Mateokunzer said:

sound like an amazing idea

img_0037.jpg

Just now, Ethocreeper said:

@DannyBoy312whats your computer specs? what gpu do you have?

Gigabyte 1060 6GB (I'd be willing to turn settings down,) i5 2500k, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo, etc.

21 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

TN is not bad at all. my 1440p is a tn panel and the 1080p an ips.

the TN looks much better than my IPS. believe me the colors are much better (what i want to say it differs from monitor to monitor).

and yes it does look worse from an angle but it has to large + why would i do that

TN is not bad at all. my 1440p is a tn panel and the 1080p an ips.

the TN looks much better than my IPS. believe me the colors are much better (what i want to say it differs from monitor to monitor).

and yes it does look worse from an angle but it has to large + why would i do that

Keeping in mind I used to do graphic design so a TN panel was never a viable solution for consistency.

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

Keeping in mind I used to do graphic design so a TN panel was never a viable solution for consistency.

true but its fine for gaming

2 minutes ago, DannyBoy312 said:

Gigabyte 1060 6GB (I'd be willing to turn settings down,) i5 2500k, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo, etc.

yea you will have too

btw i advise you to get a high refresh rate g- sync monitor so you can have it for longer.

you wont be able to play in high refresh rate but it will look smooth thanks to g sync + when you upgrade your gpu in the future you can play in high refresh rate.

my new monitor is is 1440htz (can oc to 165) but my 1070 and my 6600 cant get above 70-80 in r6s. but when i upgrade next summer i will be able to.

yea you will have too

btw i advise you to get a high refresh rate g- sync monitor so you can have it for longer.

you wont be able to play in high refresh rate but it will look smooth thanks to g sync + when you upgrade your gpu in the future you can play in high refresh rate.

my new monitor is is 1440htz (can oc to 165) but my 1070 and my 6600 cant get above 70-80 in r6s. but when i upgrade next summer i will be able to.

Can't afford G-Sync unfortunately (only have ~$500 in the coffers.)

1 minute ago, DannyBoy312 said:

Can't afford G-Sync unfortunately (only have ~$500 in the coffers.)

sorry i just saw your reply

btw @DannyBoy312 i suggest waiting and getting a g sync. its not worth it to use so much money on a monitor when for some more you can get g sync. this is my monitor btw.

a monitor is not something you change frequently

sorry i just saw your reply

Np. Yeah, believe me, I would swing it if I could, would definitely opt for an Asus ROG G-sync or the like but 700+ is way too far a stretch. I mean once you're hitting the upper end of the panel's refresh rate you can just switch on Nvidia's new Fast-Sync setting to avoid tearing but that would obviously require at least a 1080 or greater (given max settings @ 1440p)

The other thing is, I'm more or less used to some tearing and can deal, the main thing is the pixel density at anything greater than 24" can be a major eyesore at 1080p so that's why I'd rather have 1440p at mid-high settings with decent FPS than 1080p at max settings and poor pixel pitch.

2 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

btw @DannyBoy312 i suggest waiting and getting a g sync. its not worth it to use so much money on a monitor when for some more you can get g sync. this is my monitor btw.

a monitor is not something you change frequently

You don't mind the TN? I guess I just feel like at that price point I'd also like to have either VA or IPS included. I do get what you're saying monitors being a long-term upgrade and I agree completely.

3 minutes ago, DannyBoy312 said:

You don't mind the TN? I guess I just feel like at that price point I'd also like to have either VA or IPS included. I do get what you're saying monitors being a long-term upgrade and I agree completely.

TN is fine. btw for about 100 more, there is a ips version but there are a lot of bad reviews online so i don't recommend it (backlight bleeding). i tested my (tn version) and its fine no backlight bleeding.

its hight end TN and TN has advanced a lot. since you are only gaming you won't notice a thing. in my case, it was much better than my low-end ips

32 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

TN is fine. btw for about 100 more, there is a ips version but there are a lot of bad reviews online so i don't recommend it (backlight bleeding). i tested my (tn version) and its fine no backlight bleeding.

its hight end TN and TN has advanced a lot. since you are only gaming you won't notice a thing. in my case, it was much better than my low-end ips

Yeah, I know it has gotten a lot better and I suppose IPS might not be worth the higher response times in games (albeit only slightly.) From what I've gathered VA panels are a good middle of the road option which I have also been considering...