Advice about ryzen 5 1600 upgrade

Hello, fellow hardware comrades, I am planning on upgrading my machine, currently, I have an i5 3350p with 8 gigs of ram, to a ryzen due to my stream hobby.

I want to save as much money as possible due to difficult times.

I want your opinion on how this looks and if you can suggest money to save or have better value.

Ryzen 5 1600

Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3, (was also looking at MSI B350M Mortar)

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 4GB 2666Mhz. x2

From what I've seen in games ram speeds are not a big factor for fps but I guess I have the overclocking route.

I also have a gtx 1060 6Gb which is going to be paired with the system mentioned above.

In total the cpu+mobo+ram is going for 350ish.

What are your guys thought on those parts, anything should be done differently / better?

P.S. I am playing and streaming, dota 2 , csgo, pubg.

The Ryzen 5 1600 is a fantastic CPU, I got one for my rig in January.

I would recommend steering away from an MSI board if you're going B350, their VRMs tend to be garbage on the lower end.

If you're streaming, I would recommend stretching for 16Gb of memory as a minimum.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I would suggest a better mobo if possible, or waiting for the new Ryzen CPU's that come out in a few weeks. The Gigabyte mobo is competent but all of their boards are limited by the awful BIOs' updates that have been released lately (those after F10). Also, with a GTX 1060, many using BIOS versions beyond F7 are finding that they can no longer enable secure boot and disable CSM support on the Gigabyte boards, which is an issue for some at least. Avoid MSI B350 boards too in general, as Crunchy mentioned.

You have though chosen excellent RAM - that Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2666 overclocks easily to just over 3000 Mhz. It does go on 'sale' (still with the crazy present RAM prices though) on Amazon, so maybe watch for a deal over the next few weeks on an 8Gb kit . As to saving money, if you are near a Fry's, Staples or a Microcenter, you can pick up a B350 board and the Ryzen 1600 for just over $200 total and that may go a bit lower once the new CPU's are released. The Microcenter CPU/mobo combo deals in particular are often very good for just about any CPU.

2 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

Also, the RAM, 4Gb just won't cut it I'm afraid. You have though chosen excellent RAM - that Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2666 overclocks easily to just over 3000 Mhz. It does go on 'sale' (still with the crazy present RAM prices though) on Amazon, so maybe watch for a deal over the next few weeks on an 8Gb kit of the same RAM. As to saving money, if you are near a Fry's, Staples or a Microcenter, you can pick up a B350 board and the Ryzen 1600 for just over $200 total and that may go a bit lower once the new CPU's are released. The Microcenter CPU/mobo combo deals in particular are often very good for just about any CPU.

OP Is getting 8Gb, there was an "x2" after the 2666Mhz in the original post.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

OP Is getting 8Gb, there was an "x2" after the 2666Mhz in the original post.

Yes I saw that and corrected but obviously not before you picked it up. You're quick today lol.

Just now, johnukguy said:

Yes I saw that and corrected but obviously not before you picked it up. You're quick today lol.

Haha, I was just passing by and noticed that.

the 1600 is very good. had mines for a few months, tho i don't stream. pair it with 3200mhz, if not 2933mhz is good enough 

but keep in mind of ryzen 2 which may come out in the next few months. luckily it is compatible with existing ryzen motherboards, just need a BIOS update

depending on how soon you need it it might be a good idea to wait for the gen 2 version of the 2600 which should arrive between april and march, the price should be a bit higher than a discounted gen 1 but should have significantly better clocks, anyway in early april we will discover its perf (when the  ryzen 7 launches, 5 should be a few weeks after)

One option that the OP may want to consider is to use his present setup as a dedicated streaming rig and the Ryzen system for the gaming side? Also, do consider using Streamlabs OBS, if you're not already. It cuts down quite a bit on the performance hit over regular OBS, at least for me.

1 minute ago, johnukguy said:

I would suggest a better mobo if possible, or waiting for the new Ryzen CPU's that come out in a few weeks. The Gigabyte mobo is competent but all of their boards are limited by the awful BIOs' updates that have been released lately (those after F10). Also, with a GTX 1060, many using BIOS versions beyond F7 are finding that they no longer can enable secure boot and disable CSM support, which is an issue for some at least. Avoid MSO B350 boards too in general.

Also, the RAM, 4Gb just won't cut it I'm afraid. You have though chosen excellent RAM - that Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2666 overclocks easily to just over 3000 Mhz. It does go on 'sale' (still with the crazy present RAM prices though) on Amazon, so maybe watch for a deal over the next few weeks on an 8Gb kit of the same RAM. As to saving money, if you are near a Fry's, Staples or a Microcenter, you can pick up a B350 board and the Ryzen 1600 for just over $200 total and that may go a bit lower once the new CPU's are released. The Microcenter CPU/mobo combo deals in particular are often very good for just about any CPU.

Alright thank you so much for the input, i am going to pick up 2 sticks of 4 gigs, sadly i am in greece i ll see if i can manage to get something cheap or make a deal , so what kind of mobo are you suggesting?

1 minute ago, 0ver said:

Alright thank you so much for the input, i am going to pick up 2 sticks of 4 gigs, sadly i am in greece i ll see if i can manage to get something cheap or make a deal , so what kind of mobo are you suggesting?

Asus seem solid from what I've seen, though I speak as an owner of the Gigabyte Gaming 3 board. Again, waiting a few weeks may mean lower prices for the existing B350 and X370 boards and picking up an X370 may be a better option for you at that time. 

Thank you so much for all your input, since ryzen 2 is coming soon I will wait for that , I will also check the streamlabs obs hopefully will make my life easier ^^

Do you have a microcenter near you? They have some killer deals on CPU/Mobo bundles! Honestly, I would either go with a better Gigabyte board or an MSI board. My Asus B350 Prime got bricked because something went bad with the bios. After the random death, and horrendous experience of sending it in for a replacement, I don't recommend Asus Motherboards anymore. I bought a Gigabyte AB350-Gaming motherboard because of the "Dual Bios" feature. Honestly, the board is very barebones, and lackes quite a few features, compared to the Asus one. I would either buy the Higher end gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 (A little more expensive than the AB350-Gaming), or an MSI B350 Tomahawk.

Something to keep in mind is that Gigabytes software in Windows is HORRIBLE! It feels like driving an old beat up car because you never know if/when it is going to crash. This goes for most of Gigabytes software in general, it's all horrible. The interface is clunky and looks like one of those virus programs like "PC Optimizer Pro" with it's "Install Center". Hell, It reminds me of preinstalled bloatware on an OEM system like HP Support Center. If that wasn't enough, the install disk asks if you want to install Norton Anti-Virus. What a joke! And good luck controlling fan speeds, or changing fan profiles in Windows because the fans run at whatever speed they feel like! Bottom line is that they need to hire better software developers. 

21 hours ago, Aw_Ginger_Snapz said:

Do you have a microcenter near you? They have some killer deals on CPU/Mobo bundles! Honestly, I would either go with a better Gigabyte board or an MSI board. My Asus B350 Prime got bricked because something went bad with the bios. After the random death, and horrendous experience of sending it in for a replacement, I don't recommend Asus Motherboards anymore. I bought a Gigabyte AB350-Gaming motherboard because of the "Dual Bios" feature. Honestly, the board is very barebones, and lackes quite a few features, compared to the Asus one. I would either buy the Higher end gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 (A little more expensive than the AB350-Gaming), or an MSI B350 Tomahawk.

Something to keep in mind is that Gigabytes software in Windows is HORRIBLE! It feels like driving an old beat up car because you never know if/when it is going to crash. This goes for most of Gigabytes software in general, it's all horrible. The interface is clunky and looks like one of those virus programs like "PC Optimizer Pro" with it's "Install Center". Hell, It reminds me of preinstalled bloatware on an OEM system like HP Support Center. If that wasn't enough, the install disk asks if you want to install Norton Anti-Virus. What a joke! And good luck controlling fan speeds, or changing fan profiles in Windows because the fans run at whatever speed they feel like! Bottom line is that they need to hire better software developers. 

Sadly I live in Greece , so microcenter is not an option for me although I am trying to find a loop in order to move parts from there to eu but I dont think that will happen , I was thinking either the gigabyte ab350 gaming 3 which you are really close on chaning my mind , then msi mortar which I ve heard good stuff for it and lastly asrock which I already have and know its pretty good although that can change from mobo to mobo

Great idea I'd say. R5 1600 is a great CPU, I have mine running at 3.9GHz fully stable. Great for some streaming and gaming. Definitely try to get 16GB of RAM though and the faster the better but make sure whatever kit you buy is on your motherboard's compatibility list. I made that mistake and I'm waiting on a BIOS update that will fix it and my 3200MHz kit is only running at 2933MHz unfortunately.

I'd steer clear of MSI on the low end cause their VRMs aren't great.

Good GPU for that CPU though.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||