Will an Intel Core i5-7400 Processor bottleneck a 1070?

Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,
Just now, onEnabled said:

Do you think a 

Intel Core i7-8700 with a 1060 will perform better?

If 1080p 60FPS is your goal, that'll do just fine.

This is now the second time you're giving uninformed advice and I'm going to have to call you out on it (first one I let it slide). A 7600K is not a 144fps CPU, not by a long shot. You're lucky if you hit 144fps with a heavily overclocked 8700K.

I have tried on last month the performance of a lot of gaming pc's exactly a 7600k with a 1070 , a 7700k with a 1070 , a 6500 with a 1060 and a 7400 with a 1050ti a 4790k with a 1070 and i can report that a top  i5 its the sweet spot for 1440p 144hz with a 1070 , but if your advices are to throw money thats on you but dont tell people that a 7600k its not for 144fps. 

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

4 minutes ago, onEnabled said:

Why? I sound like a complete retard wich i am xD

It's the better one between it and the 3GB. I mean, aside from having more VRAM (which is really only useful for higher resolution textures), it has a bit more shaders.

I'm sure someone here will defend the 3GB, but if the better one is available and you can afford it, get it :3

18 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

if you play at 1080 doesnt matter 7400 or 7600k if you play at 1440p get a 7600k

This is backwards.

The cpu matters less at HIGHER resolutions.

The reason that is because the higher the resolution the harder the GPU has to work. The harder the GPU has to work the less fps, the less fps the less draw calls. The draw calls from high FPS is normally where the bottleneck comes from at these lower resolutions.

Pretty much any CPU would bottleneck at say 720p with a decent gpu, same for 1080p, but once your hit 1440p and up the bottleneck moves to the gpu much more so than the cpu.

Also bottle-necks aren't necessarily a bad thing... you will always be bottle-necked by either gpu or cpu... the important thing to note is at what level does that bottleneck occur. If you are bottlenecking your cpu at 160 fps, then having a better cpu that can push it to 190fps isn't important. If your cpu is bottle-necking you at say 30 fps though.. then you have an issue.

To the OP. There might be some bottle-necking in certain games at 1080p, but chances are they will he at a high enough fps that it will not matter.

The i5 will definitely bottleneck your 1070 at 1080p, even with a 60Hz monitor. It just depends on which games do you play, if you play Battlefield 1 then I've got really bad news for you. A low-clocked i5-7400 would bottleneck even a 1060 6GB in that game. A similar story goes for Watch Dogs 2, also, possibly Rise of the Tomb Raider, PUBG and The Witcher 3.

It just depends on the particular game and how CPU-heavy is it, but seeing recent trends it's safe to say that it's only gonna get worse for the future game relases with more cores being available to the masses thanks to Ryzen and now also Coffee Lake.

Quad-cores with no Hyper-threading are just too slow nowadays for higher-end GPUs ;)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White