High Refresh Rate 720P Monitor?

DrDerp

So I have been wondering if there is a product out there that has a high refresh rate and a lower resolution like 720P, as I don't have a graphics card to drive high FPS 1080P, but 720P would work like a dream.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

Not that I know of. 

Could just buy 1080p and turn the resolution down in games? Makes alot more sense, won't have to compromise on videos being stuck at 720p either then. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

2 minutes ago, DrDerp said:

So I have been wondering if there is a product out there that has a high refresh rate and a lower resolution like 720P, as I don't have a graphics card to drive high FPS 1080P, but 720P would work like a dream.

i don't think they make 720p monitors - let alone high refresh rate types.

1280x1024 @ 75hz monitors are a thing (you can find them used) so that is one option if you are ok with black bars top and bottom

or buy a high refresh rate 1440p monitor - 720p is exactly half so the "artifacts" caused by scaling will be minimal. (as opposed to 720p on a 1080 monitor) 

Just now, RKRiley said:

Not that I know of. 

Could just buy 1080p and turn the resolution down in games? Makes alot more sense, won't have to compromise on videos being stuck at 720p either then. 

It would be a secondary monitor of course, but I find it interesting that there isn't one out there for people like CS:GO players.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

1 minute ago, KenjiUmino said:

i don't think they make 720p monitors - let alone high refresh rate types.

1280x1024 @ 75hz monitors are a thing (you can find them used) so that is one option if you are ok with black bars top and bottom

or buy a high refresh rate 1440p monitor - 720p is exactly half so the "artifacts" caused by scaling will be minimal. (as opposed to 720p on a 1080 monitor) 

Don't have the money is the problem.

1 minute ago, DrDerp said:

It would be a secondary monitor of course, but I find it interesting that there isn't one out there for people like CS:GO players.

I play csgo quite happily on 1080p :P tried it at 720 as its supposedly better, but didn't notice a difference honestly, still played just as good(bad) as I usually do. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

I play csgo quite happily on 1080p :P tried it at 720 as its supposedly better, but didn't notice a difference honestly, still played just as good(bad) as I usually do. 

The main reason why I would want one is I can't quite deliver a 1080p 60 FPS experience because I am using a 660. So, I am rather using a lower resolution for a higher frame rate. I mean, all I've used to game in the past year has been an XBOX 360 and a Laptop and an Intel Atom Tablet, so I find low resolution playable (320P modded Doom anyone?).

10 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

Nah, it still applies an ugly bilinear filter, so it'll look blurry/fuzzy.

The smallest new panels you could probably buy these days would be 1366x768  (hd ready standard , for super cheap tvs)

You could do something else...

buy 1080p cheap tn panel monitor

add custom resolution 960x540 using the video card's control panel or software

enable super resolution / resample to 2x which would be done at almost no cost in the video card hardware so you get 1080p to the monitor (2x zoom is basically no cost, the card's hardware just doubles pixels in both directions)

play the game, configure it at 960x540 , and the driver will make that 2x when it's sent to monitor.

rescaling 720p to 1080p would suck and introduce artefacts and crap because it's multiplying by what.. 1.33x or something, but if you rescale by 2x  when you have 960x540 doubled to 1920x1080 you will have practically no artefacts on the screen

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The smallest new panels you could probably buy these days would be 1366x768  (hd ready standard , for super cheap tvs)

You could do something else...

buy 1080p cheap tn panel monitor

add custom resolution 960x540 using the video card's control panel or software

enable super resolution / resample to 2x which would be done at almost no cost in the video card hardware so you get 1080p to the monitor (2x zoom is basically no cost, the card's hardware just doubles pixels in both directions)

play the game, configure it at 960x540 , and the driver will make that 2x when it's sent to monitor.

that is a good idea.

or use the "resolution scaling" slider if the game has one and set it to 50% ... same effect on performance but the UI stays sharp 

6 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

that is a good idea.

or use the "resolution scaling" slider if the game has one and set it to 50% ... same effect on performance but the UI stays sharp 

I do wish more games would implement this, as it is extremely great to use when you have a weak GPU.