Screen turning on and off after enable G-sync?

Hi guys,

i just get an acer predator x34p recently and trying to get to test out the new G-sync function of the monitor.

im using a dell XPS tower equip with GTX1080

but once i turning on the G-sync function and went into game, the screen will turning on and off very often.

it is not flickering but turning on and off like the video shown.

i has been google around to find the solution but seem like no one get the same issue as me, i also went to nvidia forum to get help but nobody seems to help out.

i already used DDU to uninstall all my nvidia display driver and reinstall the latest driver into it but the issue were still remain.

setting it to full screen, windowed was not helping too.

Can anyone here tell me what is going on here? :(

1.) This may be just a bad DP cable, try different DP cable

2.) Disable Windows 10 Fast startup and restart the PC, it often interferes with G-Sync on boot for some reason. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup (scroll down to the middle of the page to see how)

3.) Does this happen if you lower the Hz of the monitor?

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

1.) This may be just a bad DP cable, try different DP cable

2.) Disable Windows 10 Fast startup and restart the PC, it often interferes with G-Sync on boot for some reason. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

3.) Does this happen if you lower the Hz of the monitor?

it doesnt happen outside the game, and it just happen in some game like pubg and GTA.

i think it didnt happen when i set the monitor to 60hz, but it happen when i set it to 120hz.

this issue will be gone after i turning off G-sync function.

Just now, Kelvin Chng said:

it doesnt happen outside the game, and it just happen in some game like pubg and GTA.

i think it didnt happen when i set the monitor to 60hz, but it happen when i set it to 120hz.

this issue will be gone after i turning off G-sync function.

Try option 2.) then

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Try option 2.) then

i'll try to disable it when i get home and monitor it again.

do you think this is the defect of monitor or just the driver issue?

i'll try to disable it when i get home and monitor it again.

do you think this is the defect of monitor or just the driver issue?

I cant tell for sure. I had some very funky and annoying issues with G-Sync but so far I was able to find a fix for all of them, most of the issues I had were tied to the Fast Startup problem or V-Sync on other lower Hz, non-G-Sync monitor.

I had also very strange issue when I enabled bot Fast-Sync and G-Sync and I tried to watch YT videos, but it worked just fine in games.

11 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I cant tell for sure. I had some very funky and annoying issues with G-Sync but so far I was able to find a fix for all of them, most of the issues I had were tied to the Fast Startup problem or V-Sync on other lower Hz, non-G-Sync monitor.

I had also very strange issue when I enabled bot Fast-Sync and G-Sync and I tried to watch YT videos, but it worked just fine in games.

correct me if I'm wrong, G-sync will just enable when we are in game right?

11 minutes ago, Kelvin Chng said:

correct me if I'm wrong, G-sync will just enable when we are in game right?

You can set it to be also enabled on desktop in NVIDIA Control Panel or for WIndowed/Borderless mode.

G-Sync will work only if you get less FPS than the max monitor Hz

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

You can set it to be also enabled on desktop in NVIDIA Control Panel or for WIndowed/Borderless mode.

G-Sync will work only if you get less FPS than the max monitor Hz

yeah i thought the windowed/Borderless/fullscreen mode is just for game.

im playing PUBG, the FPS i can go for is mostly around 80 only, and my FPS are set to 120hz.

so yeah, i will try your method and update here later on if the issue still exist.

13 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Set the monitor to 100hz, 120hz is an overclock and might not be supported when g-sync is running.

Seriously? not supported?

2 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

no idea, all I know is 100hz is native and anything higher is an overclock.

yeah, this is new to me. never knew G-sync could not support overclocked monitor.

21 minutes ago, Kelvin Chng said:

yeah, this is new to me. never knew G-sync could not support overclocked monitor.

That is not true.

The only difference is that your monitor either can handle 120Hz or not... and usually, on these monitors, it is cable dependant. Bad cable wont provide clean enough signal to reliably deliver 120Hz as you are already pushing the boundries of the bandwidth.

But G-Sync WILL work with that OC. This monitor is built to handle that.

That is not true.

The only difference is that your monitor either can handle 120Hz or not... and usually, on these monitors, it is cable dependant. Bad cable wont provide clean enough signal to reliably deliver 120Hz as you are already pushing the boundries of the bandwidth.

But G-Sync WILL work.

i am using the cable that come out from the box together with the monitor, i got 2 dp cable, another after market cable totally cant work.

i am using the cable that come out from the box together with the monitor, i got 2 dp cable, another after market cable totally cant work.

Yeah, sometimes the included cable is just not good enough but usually its fine. Anyway, the first suspect on these monitors when you encounter problem is the included cable.

Yeah, sometimes the included cable is just not good enough but usually its fine. Anyway, the first suspect on these monitors when you encounter problem is the included cable.

but sometimes it wont have this issue, sometimes it will.

sometimes when it has this problem i just restart the pc and it will solve the issue temporary.

but sometimes it wont have this issue, sometimes it will.

sometimes when it has this problem i just restart the pc and it will solve the issue temporary.

We can only guess until you come home and try the things mentioned above.

okay, will update here! thanks for the help

On 3/6/2018 at 6:17 PM, WereCat said:

Hi! I'm back, i turned off the function like you told me.

it solved the issue for a while. but after sometimes when i left my pc switch on, the issue are back.

and i need to restart the pc to solve this.

1 hour ago, Kelvin Chng said:

Hi! I'm back, i turned off the function like you told me.

it solved the issue for a while. but after sometimes when i left my pc switch on, the issue are back.

and i need to restart the pc to solve this.

Hmmm, thats strange. I am runing out of ideas.

This will most likely wont help but its worth a shot, disable V-Sync in NVIDIA Control Panel (Globaly), restart the PC.

And I would definitely try different cable (the Amazon DP cables are quite good, check reviews). If changing cable wont help, I would suggest you to contact NVIDIA Tech Support, they may be able to help you identify the issue, maybe the fault is in your G-Sync module itself but I have some doubts about that as I still think the cable is the most possible cause.

I am not sure if I am of any further help to you though, so sorry.

On 3/14/2018 at 3:03 PM, WereCat said:

Hmmm, thats strange. I am runing out of ideas.

This will most likely wont help but its worth a shot, disable V-Sync in NVIDIA Control Panel (Globaly), restart the PC.

And I would definitely try different cable (the Amazon DP cables are quite good, check reviews). If changing cable wont help, I would suggest you to contact NVIDIA Tech Support, they may be able to help you identify the issue, maybe the fault is in your G-Sync module itself but I have some doubts about that as I still think the cable is the most possible cause.

I am not sure if I am of any further help to you though, so sorry.

im located at malaysia, it is quite hard to get the cable from amazon...
and nvidia support is crap, they wont even reply me

• 1 year later...
On 3/6/2018 at 3:11 AM, Kelvin Chng said:

Hi guys,

i just get an acer predator x34p recently and trying to get to test out the new G-sync function of the monitor.

im using a dell XPS tower equip with GTX1080

but once i turning on the G-sync function and went into game, the screen will turning on and off very often.

it is not flickering but turning on and off like the video shown.

i has been google around to find the solution but seem like no one get the same issue as me, i also went to nvidia forum to get help but nobody seems to help out.

i already used DDU to uninstall all my nvidia display driver and reinstall the latest driver into it but the issue were still remain.

setting it to full screen, windowed was not helping too.

Can anyone here tell me what is going on here? :(

Kevin,

You are not alone with this issue.   This issue has been around for about 4-5 years now.  I have the exact same problem, on an Acer Predator monitor 24."

Symptoms:

-Intermittent issue - This issue went away on it's own for about a year or so.  (It just returned for me today)

-Explicitly related to G-Sync

-Disabling fast startup does not fix the issue

-Changing refresh rate does not fix the issue

-Changing display cable does not fix the issue

-Monitor turns on and off constantly

-Full Screen vs Windowed mode does not matter

-Reinstalling the video driver does not fix the issue

Resolution:

Turn off GSync

Common Denominators:

-Acer Predator monitors

-Issue is statistically rare.   In 4 or 5 years you are the only other person I know that has the same issue I do.

-DCOM errors?

Bottom Line:  Issue needs to be resolved by either Acer, or Nvidia.  It's either a design flaw in the Acer Monitor, or a driver issue with Nvidia.  USUALLY,  flickering monitors like this are driver specific issues, it's the driver shutting down, and re-enabling itself. (This is done automatically by windows in an attempt to recover the driver crash)

Another potential cause for this issue are DCOM errors in windows itself.  DCOM errors can randomly affect software.  And I recall when I had fixed all of the DCOM errors in windows the issue subsided for a long time.  As I look now in my Event Log, I see multiple DCOM errors.   

DCOM errors are caused by microsoft being lazy with developing windows and updates.  It's basically a permissions issue within windows that microsoft is to stupid or lazy to fix.

I truthfully cannot say for sure if DCOM errors are causing this issue, but I do know they cause random unpredictable software errors, even crashes.

Fixing DCOM errors are not for the squeamish however,  There's a lot of registry editing that needs to be done to fix the issue.

This is the best website I found to fix DCOM errors, but you will also want to read the comments by me "FlukeLSX" because there is some missing information this guide doesn't tell people.  

https://www.itexperience.net/2018/12/02/event-id-10016-fix-the-application-specific-permission-settings-do-not-grant-local-activation-permission-for-the-com-server-application-with-clsid/

Note:  DCOM errors can return after major windows updates such as "Cumulative Updates or version updates"  The only reason I'm posting this information is in hopes that someone out there can better explain this issue and or what specifically causes it.

Untitled.png

• 1 month later...

Hello, even if thread is old, I have the exact same problem. Have you fixed it?

I am facing it just out the box. At beginning was just off/on when exiting from monitor standby, but now it is often, specially in Windows and apps environment (in games I maybe had it once!)

G-Sync on in both Windowed and Full Screen, and I'd like to keep it that way, if possible.

Tried everything up here, but waiting a new DP cable from amazon, as I need to be sure about it.

Thank you.

Maybe I found a possible culprit: Display Port cable near to electrical cables!!!

My main DP cable is inside a worm with all electrical cables for the computer and desk, and it goes around desk, and it is long 5mt.

I have made some tests with a spare PD cable that hanging in the air from pc to monitor, and that is 1.8mt long. NO ISSUES!!

I realized this as turning on my desk light, the display was going off/on as I was turning on/off the desk light that has high consumption of electricity.

I think that G-Sync is very sensitive to any sort of electric fluctuations.

If any tries and confirms my theory, PLEASE POST BACK as a feedback.

Thank you all.