Cramming Acceptable Cooling into an ML08

macintoshme

I was looking for a new challenge and figured I'd try out Mini-ITX. I picked up a 2400G and a Gigabyte ITX board. It was neato. Then I purchased an ML08-H. That thing is bananas! I love that my PC has a handle!!!

My main rig is a 1700 clocked at 3.9 at 1.38V under a H80GT. I have been considering swapping out to the ML08 and making the ITX rig my main one.

I cheaped out when I setup the ML08, putting the Wraith Spire with the LED ring ripped off on the 2400G. That is fine, but still pretty limiting for thermals. I am scared what would happen if I put my 1700 in it.

My options fitting inside the case seem to be pretty crumby. They all will essentially just cover a 95watt chip which when I overclock the 1700, it essentially becomes a 1700x (65->95w) and that is without the fact that I have to cram voltage down its throat.

I was looking at some of the bigger options like the ShadowRock LP and the Cryorig C1. I figured I could mount them under the case side and it would allow me to measure and figure out a cut I could make with a rotary tool to mount the 120 or 140mm to them through the case side. Yes it would make the case fatter, but I wouldn't mind it looking a little muscled like a sports car. 

I am definitely known for making things harder than they have to be, so there might be a direction I am missing and I would love input.

The case currently as it sits:

Mobo: GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI

CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G w/ Wraith Spire (RGB ring removed)

RAM: Corsair LPX 2x 8GB 3200

HD: 3x 128GB Samsung 840 Pro

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

PSU: SilverStone 700w SFXL

I'd have to recommend the C7: However, I'd measure the space to double check the hight limit of CPU coolers. With Silverstone, the height is often a couple millimeters higher than advertised - perhaps you may be able to cram a Noctua L9x65.

Alternatively, you could try to see if some water cooler could fit in the case. I've seen it done, but it is very, very tight (and with most hardware combinations impossible)

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

6 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

I'd have to recommend the C7: However, I'd measure the space to double check the hight limit of CPU coolers. With Silverstone, the height is often a couple millimeters higher than advertised - perhaps you may be able to cram a Noctua L9x65.

Alternatively, you could try to see if some water cooler could fit in the case. I've seen it done, but it is very, very tight (and with most hardware combinations impossible)

Reading around, it sounds like the Wraith Spire that is already in there will perform similarly to the other two.

I am looking recommendations on oversized coolers that I might shove in the case and a reminder of gotchas I'm probably not thinking of.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...