How do i install my new M.2 drive

DrBonesMcCoy

I'm getting a 960 evo 500gb nvme m.2 SSD, I already have 2 other 120gb ssd's and a 2tb hdd, but I want to reset my PC fully. However I am unsure as to the correct way to fully format the drives and how to install windows on it. Any help is appreciated as I want to set up the M.2 as my boot drive. using a maximus x hero

The Darkened Phantom(With some light shining through)

CPU: I7-8700K @4.9Ghz 1.313 V Core

COOLER: Corsair H115i

GPU: 1070 Founders Edition @Stock settings

RAM: 16GB DDR4 CL14 TEAM GROUP DARK PRO 8PACK Hand picked Samsung B-Dies @ 3200mhz

PSU: Corsair RM 850X

CASE: Enthoo Pro M Special Edition

STORAGE: 1X 128GB SSD, 1X120GB SSD, 1 X 500GB NVME PCIE SSD and 1X 2TB HDD

When u are in the windows installation setup u can format all drives manually bevor u pick the boot device but i advise u to install windows without any other drive then the m.2 connected. Because you can boot then without having connected all drives if one should fail ;)

|| CPU: I7 6950X @4.6 (1.35V) || Cooler: CUSTOM EK LOOP || Motherboard: ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10

|| GPU: 2x Vega 64 Strix OC @1762 / 1100 MHz || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Royal RGB 3200 Mhz ||

HDD: Segate Barracuda 3TB || SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 512 GB || PSU: Corsair HX 1200 W || Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Gunmetal || Fans: Corsair HD120 (x4) / BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 (x4) || Monitor: ACER XF27HU ||

Second Monitor: BENQ RL2455HM || Mouse: Logitech G502 Pretus Core || Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum || Headphones: Sennheiser IE80 ||

Buildlog expirience swapping to x99: 

Install it according to what your motherboard manual says. 

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-HERO/HelpDesk_Manual/

I didn't have to do anything special in the BIOS of my motherboard or with Windows 10 setup to recognize it.  Chances are your experience will be similar.

However I also agree that it would be best to not have any storage drive but the M.2 connected during installation in order to minimize potential mishaps.

First I would suggest unplugging all your other drives during the Windows install and just formatting and installing Windows to the M.2 than after Windows is installed plug your drives back in and copy the data you want to keep to your M.2 system drive than open Disk Management and format the other drives (if you want to format them).

Put Windows install on a memory stick https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/install-windows-from-a-usb-flash-drive

Once you have started the install you're going to need to select the 'Custom/Advanced' option that shows you a list of hard drives. From there you can click on each hard drive and click 'format' which will blank the hard drive. Then select the hard drive you want to install windows off of and continue the process of installing windows.

Also I hope you kept hold of the standoff/screw packet that you require for the physical M.2 installation as they are propitiatory to Asus and Asus don't sell them

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

2 hours ago, Rupe said:

Put Windows install on a memory stick https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/install-windows-from-a-usb-flash-drive

Once you have started the install you're going to need to select the 'Custom/Advanced' option that shows you a list of hard drives. From there you can click on each hard drive and click 'format' which will blank the hard drive. Then select the hard drive you want to install windows off of and continue the process of installing windows.

Also I hope you kept hold of the standoff/screw packet that you require for the physical M.2 installation as they are propitiatory to Asus and Asus don't sell them

Don't know if I had any. I haven' thrown away the box and I don't remember any screws 

RAM: 16GB DDR4 CL14 TEAM GROUP DARK PRO 8PACK Hand picked Samsung B-Dies @ 3200mhz

39 minutes ago, DrBonesMcCoy said:

Don't know if I had any. I haven' thrown away the box and I don't remember any screws 

Take a look, they should be in a little clear plastic bag.

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-HERO/specifications/  You'll notice under accessories it says '1 x M.2 Screw Package

I had this problem when I bought an M.2 (not sure if the screws had come with the mobo, I probably had misplaced it knowing me) had to buy an Asus £20 m.2 pci card just for the screws and threw the card in the bin. Asus support were not helpful at all and were not able to supply me the screws.

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

2 hours ago, Rupe said:

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-HERO/specifications/  You'll notice under accessories it says '1 x M.2 Screw Package

I had this problem when I bought an M.2 (not sure if the screws had come with the mobo, I probably had misplaced it knowing me) had to buy an Asus £20 m.2 pci card just for the screws and threw the card in the bin. Asus support were not helpful at all and were not able to supply me the screws.

Got it, they put it in under a bunch of cardboard under the actual bottom piece. a stupid place.

2 hours ago, Rupe said:

You must not be very "persuasive" . I have never had issue getting this type of stuff from the manufacturers. You have to be willing to pay shipping in some cases, but more often than not they WILL just ship you a free one when asked.

2 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

You must not be very "persuasive" . I have never had issue getting this type of stuff from the manufacturers. You have to be willing to pay shipping in some cases, but more often than not they WILL just ship you a free one when asked.

Asus will not send this out to anyone. I am not the only person who has had this issue, has nothing to do with persuasion 

1 minute ago, Rupe said:

Asus will not send this out to anyone. I am not the only person who has had this issue, has nothing to do with persuasion 

I am going to reach out to them right now and see if that is the case. I will post back as soon as I have a response.

@Rupe Took a little back and forth... but...5a9d854341260_asusconversation.thumb.png.3e13b2bc1d9a34f4481c5b3e5cb57261.png

Anyways my point is that you need to be firm with these people. They far too often give you a canned response without doing the proper research or having the proper knowledge themselves. If all else fails have them escalate you to a supervisor who is generally going to be more capable of helping. In the end just don't take no for an answer and continue to make an argument for what they are failing you as a customer.

2 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

Took a little back and forth... but..

To be fair I probably did misplace them. Also I don't think there was a live chat option at the time I needed the screws cas i would always choose that over the longer ticket process.

Just now, Rupe said:

To be fair I probably did misplace them. Also I don't think there was a live chat option at the time I needed the screws cas i would always choose that over the longer ticket process.

No worries. I was curious myself if they were going to try and claim there was nothing they can do... and doing it via email would have definitely been a very time consuming challenge.

My point is customers just have to fight for what is right. Without us these companies would go under, so it is in there best interest to do what is needed to keep us happy and loyal. One angry customers on average costs you 3 other potential customers (old data not sure what it is now)