LAN Home Media Server (no internet)

Go to solution Solved by Mikensan,

Teamviewer requires an internet connection. No idea about splashtop, never used it.

Install Plex Media Server on the Desktop with 3 TB, and install Plex Media Player on the laptop. You can then stream movies/music/pictures. 

Hi everyone, I couldn't find a similar post to this, so apologies if it's duplicated.

I think this should be pretty straightforward: I have a Windows 10 desktop pc lying around with 3tb worth of internal storage full of movies, songs and other media, and an unreliable ISP, so every now and then the internet is down and I want a way to stream those movies (or any file) from that pc to the devices in my house (i.e. The laptop connected to the home theater, or play music with a phone in the kitchen's sound sistem all from that pc). Normally I'd use Splashtop or TeamViewer, but here's the catch: I want to do all this in a LAN with no internet access. How could I do that? Is it even possible? Thank you guys.

Splash top and TeamViewer don't need internet iirc? 

But Plex should be your solution. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Hey thanks for the quick responses. I'm not home right now but I'll look more into using Splashtop and TeamViewer that way when I return. I've also never used Plex nor DLNA but I'll give that a try. I'll keep you posted. Cheers!

Plex is great for streaming media but make sure you look into how to set it up to avoid problems with intermittent internet connections.

Plex needs to call back to their servers for authentication so if you know you have internet connection issues then there are some settings to change but you should be aware before committing.

Teamviewer requires an internet connection. No idea about splashtop, never used it.

Install Plex Media Server on the Desktop with 3 TB, and install Plex Media Player on the laptop. You can then stream movies/music/pictures. 

On 3/5/2018 at 2:02 AM, Dark said:

DLNA.

DLNA is dead, windows is going to stop supporting it in coming releases (OSX is stuck with it as that is what they use to serve shares around a network)

i would also recermend connecting the system every so often to the internet for updates to the OS and Plex if you can

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

On 6/3/2018 at 10:01 AM, Mikensan said:

Thanks, that's just what I wanted. Cheers!

Another alternative is to just share the folder through Windows and have your other devices connect to it. No need for special software like Plex or anything like that. Just a simple share.