Whats Your Personal Tech/Hardware Fails?

ChillKyle

Installed a motherboard without standoffs. G_G

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

no ssd: and trying to fix my microphone on my siberia v2s and soldered the connectors to the plug the wrong way ended up frying the mic totally, so I bought  10euro desk mic and my friends hate me now :D(not really tho)

PC specs.3570k, asus p8z77m pro, 8gb corsair vengence 1600MHz, XFX 550w, seagate barracuda 1TB, MSI 660ti, cooler master k350, cooler master hyper tx3 evo.

I could of saved myself some money though.

The PSU will be future proof for future upgrades thoe.. 

I hope you will both forgive the off topic nature of this, but I wanted to let you know that my cat, who my better half does not allow on the desk, a rule the cat usually obeys, loved both of your gifs enough to climb  up and investigate.  This is the first time I can recall him doing this, he seemed to approve. . .  always good to get approval from cats.

Hey look, its me!

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

NEVER LISTEN TO YOU PARENTS WITH TECHNOLOGY

Well, my dad knows quite a bit about computers, he has been building them for a lot longer than me. Not gaming computers though. 

Years ago i was building a system for myself and i was installing the CPU. I put on some thermal paste but the time kinda exploded all over the CPU so i cleaned some off but not enough. I installed the cooler and the system ran for a few days until the metal based compuund dripped under the CPU and shorted the system. The CPU survived but the motherboard did not.

Using ALL of graduation money on:

iMac 21inch (bought it for "graphic design" ended up trying to play video games more...)

Steelseries Shift (hated it)
Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition (Razer's key switches already breaking ._.)

Two Razer Naga's (One for gaming then I stopped playing MMOs and gave it to a friend then later played MMOs again....)

One Razer DeathAdder (My hands are small/medium sized so it's not very comfortable to use.)

Steelseries Siberia v2 with sound card (3 months of use and there's no sound from the right side of my headphones.)

Razer Goliathus Control Edition (Not too bad of a buy but it has some wear and tear from use.)

And now I'll spend a bunch of money again on something useful! (i hope)

Build down below, getting all the parts today :D

Project Drogon

• Intel 4670k, MSI GTX 780, MSI Z87-G43 Gaming, G.SKiLL Ripjaws 8GB, Kingston V300 120GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, EVGA SuperNova 750W 80+ Gold Modular, Corsair Air Series 540 Cube, Corsair H100i CPU Cooler

RAT 7 gaming mouse (i liked shiny things)

skullcandy products

I did the second one..... *insert face palm here*

and the RAT 7 isn't that bad xD

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Bought non PWM Sp 120's a dvi cable at a local store the 1.5 cable was 3.5 times more expensive than my other 3m cables from china

Killed my old desktop cleaning out dust with aircompressor (I was probably to close with the nozle)  it was a P4 machine tho

Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Cpu: i7 3820 at 4.3 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 | Gpu: XFX hd 7970 Ghz 1100Mhz/1600Mhz Ram: Crucial BallistiX Elite 16GB 2x8 Gb 1866 Mhz

SSD's: 2x Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120 GB in RAID 0 HDD:Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 Rpm

Cpu cooler: Corsair H100i with SP120's | Psu: Corsair TX 850W My monitors: 3x BenQ 24"  GL2460 = Eyefinity

Put the mouse on the same surface as your speakers and turn it up!

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

try a mionix naos or a new logitech mouse. the experience is just plain better. i didnt notice it till i switched

• 1 year later...

As title says. What kind of hardware failures have you had with any of your systems.

Here are some of mine;

500GB harddrive from my first computer.

Zalman 600W power supply.

Logitech G500

Dell Keyboard. Thing was a trooper, went through so much abuse you wouldn't believe. I even fixed it twice, that's how much I loved it.

And most recently, my <1 year old GTX 780 :(

RMA that GPU right away

I have had two 1TB HDDs fail, RMA'd those!

"If in doubt, use a bigger hammer" Anonymous

RMA that GPU right away

Already sent them an RMA request.

A 660 Ti died on me while folding - a capacitor blew.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

My ASUS P4V8X-X and P4P800 SE. Kinda OCd a 2.8GHz Prescott P4 too much. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

As title says. What kind of hardware failures have you had with any of your systems.

Here are some of mine;

500GB harddrive from my first computer.

Zalman 600W power supply.

Logitech G500

And most recently, my <1 year old GTX 780 :(

5  XFX graphicscards :)

My H100i pump

Madcatz rat 5 mouses 3 of them within a year

A 660 Ti died on me while folding - a capacitor blew.

My reason behind why my 780 died might have been from Folding. I'm not certain about that though.

My ASUS P4V8X-X and P4P800 SE. Kinda OCd a 2.8GHz Prescott P4 too much. :P

And these days you really have to try to destroy CPU's. They throttle themselves really well.

My xbox, the games looked so crap I smashed it.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

If it spins, its going to go at some point. Hard drives and power supply fans in my own experience.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

My reason behind why my 780 died might have been from Folding. I'm not certain about that though.

And these days you really have to try to destroy CPU's. They throttle themselves really well.

At least the 660 Ti didn't die in vain. One thing that may have contributed to its death was that it was overclocked by a significant amount.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If it spins, its going to go at some point. Hard drives and power supply fans in my own experience.

This is a reason why I will be moving over all of my storage over to SSD's at some point. Once they get cheap enough for it. Which should only be a year or two.