Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I'm ignoring the politics on this one but somebody finally got nailed. Not that I condone it but y'know.. don't stand on an interstate.

Wonder how bad the car got messed up

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

1 minute ago, RevoltTrain said:

Wonder how bad the car got messed up

It'll probably buff out, people are squishy.

So, I really over time want to get all new bright bulbs for everything on the Saab, headlights, fogs, tail lights, and reverse lights. Anyone have any bulbs they'd recommend for each use? I honest'y want yellow bulbs for my fogs but everything else I want nice bright bulbs. Suggestions and maybe reviews on bulbs would be greatly appreciated

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

It'll probably buff out, people are squishy.

True, I also assumed the person got plowed into at freeway speeds. But the person would possibly be missing a limb or two if that was the case

6 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

SCCA has spies everywhere, you're already disqualified...

btw, meant to say about the delrin door stop things, as soon as you close the door at your local autox, they're gonna know whats up!!!  I can see the tech guy just running at you yelling "YOU'RE DISQUALIFIED!!!!!!!"

LOL Honestly they aren't that strict at my region, don't see myself going to nationals (if I did that means I have money anyway and can take all that stuff off), but at my local region I was told it mostly comes down to if you're competitors are comfortable or not. I tested this methodology last time when someone showed up with an NA on cheapo coilovers (and terrible tires) after they told him he couldn't run in ES, I went to the table and told them I was fine with him running in ES if he want's to (and he was my only competitor that day), and they let him do it. 

Needless to say I was 10 seconds ahead of him (it being his first time and having terrible tires didn't help... i rode with him once he's actually pretty good (and I like the NA more for autoX than my NB(you can see the cones better!) but that's another topic)) 

So yeah... if I don't tell them anything it'll probably be fine. What's a door bushing gonna do? subtract 0.001 seconds? lol

But yeah the lightweight flywheel might be audible... im thinking the heaviest lighter one i can find might be the way to go.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

So, I really over time want to get all new bright bulbs for everything on the Saab, headlights, fogs, tail lights, and reverse lights. Anyone have any bulbs they'd recommend for each use? I honest'y want yellow bulbs for my fogs but everything else I want nice bright bulbs. Suggestions and maybe reviews on bulbs would be greatly appreciated

Sylvania has always been a solid recommendation?

True, I also assumed the person got plowed into at freeway speeds. But the person would possibly be missing a limb or two if that was the case

Yeah it looks like the car slowed down before hitting them, probably so they don't do too much damage.

3 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

philips diamond vision are said to be the highest non-fake color temp halogens you can buy. I personally like the crystalvision ultra's though, as they provide a good balance between brightness and color temp.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

LOL Honestly they aren't that strict at my region, don't see myself going to nationals (if I did that means I have money anyway and can take all that stuff off), but at my local region I was told it mostly comes down to if you're competitors are comfortable or not. I tested this methodology last time when someone showed up with an NA on cheapo coilovers (and terrible tires) after they told him he couldn't run in ES, I went to the table and told them I was fine with him running in ES if he want's to (and he was my only competitor that day), and they let him do it. 

Needless to say I was 10 seconds ahead of him (it being his first time and having terrible tires didn't help... i rode with him once he's actually pretty good (and I like the NA more for autoX than my NB(you can see the cones better!) but that's another topic)) 

So yeah... if I don't tell them anything it'll probably be fine. What's a door bushing gonna do? subtract 0.001 seconds? lol

also added a part about the flywheel with an edit

I kinda assumed they were really anal about it when they wouldn't let you run in STS (or whatever class you wanted to run in)

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Sylvania has always been a solid recommendation?

Yeah it looks like the car slowed down before hitting them, probably so they don't do too much damage.

I'm new to the whole electronics part when it comes to cars, mechanical stuff I can usually figure out. But bulbs are completely new to me. Like, will just any bulb fit into the socket? Or is it different from car to car? Idk really. Noob status

4 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

also added a part about the flywheel with an edit

I kinda assumed they were really anal about it when they wouldn't let you run in STS (or whatever class you wanted to run in)

well that's because I have a torsen and someone in STS complained about it because they aren't allowed it (though I didn't know I had a torsen at the time). And people think that's a huge advantage when it really isn't. I mean, we still lost lol, and they generally are only a second or two faster than us with all their STS mods with their lightweight NA's

but it's fine. I like the competition in ES

plus, a lightweight flywheel isn't going to do much but make it rev faster in neutral lol... it doesn't make the car that much faster, just more satisfying

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

I'm new to the whole electronics part when it comes to cars, mechanical stuff I can usually figure out. But bulbs are completely new to me. Like, will just any bulb fit into the socket? Or is it different from car to car? Idk really. Noob status

You know that's a really good question. I think most bulbs are universal housings but I do remember seeing a few vehicles that had specific ones.

11 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

You know that's a really good question. I think most bulbs are universal housings but I do remember seeing a few vehicles that had specific ones.

Says the H1 fits my car, says H7 fits both high and low beams. So would I just order two pairs for my high and low beam of the H7? And I'm assuming only thing I'd need to do is just swap the bulbs? Nothing additional?

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-CrystalVision-Ultra-Upgrade-Headlight/dp/B00U1OL44G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479170862&sr=8-1

@bcredeur97 You recommended these, do you by chance run them? Or does someone you know run them? If so are they used as high beams, low beams, or does it fit in both like Amazon says the H7 version does for my Saab?

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

well that's because I have a torsen and someone in STS complained about it because they aren't allowed it (though I didn't know I had a torsen at the time). And people think that's a huge advantage when it really isn't. I mean, we still lost lol, and they generally are only a second or two faster than us with all their STS mods with their lightweight NA's

but it's fine. I like the competition in ES

plus, a lightweight flywheel isn't going to do much but make it rev faster in neutral lol... it doesn't make the car that much faster, just more satisfying

thats stupid that an LSD isn't allowed in STS, isn't STS supposed to be typical street mods?  I'd get an LSD for any fun street car I'd ever own.

LSD is a bigger advantage than you may think at an autox, especially when you start upgrading the suspension

yeah, I wouldn't fret about someone having a lightweight flywheel when I don't, but somebody thats really anal about it might

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

1 minute ago, warmmilk said:

thats stupid that an LSD isn't allowed in STS, isn't STS supposed to be typical street mods?  I'd get an LSD for any fun street car I'd ever own.

LSD is a bigger advantage than you may think at an autox, especially when you start upgrading the suspension

yeah, I wouldn't fret about someone having a lightweight flywheel when I don't, but somebody thats really anal about it might

you have to remember STR is the same class essentially, just allows LSD's. Viscous LSD's are actually allowed in STS, all others (like mechanical and clutch-type) are STR.

The problem with STR is people show up in a fully prepped STR S2000 and you lose by at least 5 seconds lol

You could go a class above the touring classes into the modified classes, but then you're racing people with turbo's and thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of modifications. Not to mention the PAX factor makes things really tough. so the smart torsen miata owner stays in ES, where it's good competition, except when the mazdaspeed shows up but that hasn't happened to us yet lol

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Says the H1 fits my car, says H7 fits both high and low beams. So would I just order two pairs for my high and low beam of the H7? And I'm assuming only thing I'd need to do is just swap the bulbs? Nothing additional?

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-CrystalVision-Ultra-Upgrade-Headlight/dp/B00U1OL44G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479170862&sr=8-1

I'd double check on Philips' website but yeah it should be as simple as just replacing the bulbs.

you have to remember STR is the same class essentially, just allows LSD's. Viscous LSD's are actually allowed in STS, all others (like mechanical and clutch-type) are STR.

The problem with STR is people show up in a fully prepped STR S2000 and you lose by at least 5 seconds lol

You could go a class above the touring classes into the modified classes, but then you're racing people with turbo's and thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of modifications. Not to mention the PAX factor makes things really tough. so the smart torsen miata owner stays in ES, where it's good competition, except when the mazdaspeed shows up but that hasn't happened to us yet lol

ooooohh, i see...  well swap in a viscous LSD and get some coilovers :D

12 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

@bcredeur97 You recommended these, do you by chance run them? Or does someone you know run them? If so are they used as high beams, low beams, or does it fit in both like Amazon says the H7 version does for my Saab?

I run them as my Low beams and I ran them in my corolla too as low beams (don't really use high beams enough to buy some unless they go out). I have different size bulbs than you, my lows and highs are separate. Love them. said to last longer than sylvania's too... i had them on my corolla for over a year and they were still fine before I was forced to part ways with it.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I'd double check on Philips' website but yeah it should be as simple as just replacing the bulbs.

I went to their site, oh it's so complicated for my 9-5. I know what gen of estate it is (ys3e), but after that I'm so lost.

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-m-li/car-lights/car-selector-tool.html

Unless you can figure it out I'm so lost

3 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

ooooohh, i see...  well swap in a viscous LSD and get some coilovers :D

nah im good. I like my torsen xD and coilovers are expensive. so nah we're fine, at least for now.

ES is great... like I said. Plus explaining to people that i swapped to a viscous would probably cause arguments followed by people under my car taking my diff apart to make sure LOL

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I run them as my Low beams and I ran them in my corolla too as low beams (don't really use high beams enough to buy some unless they go out). I have different size bulbs than you, my lows and highs are separate. Love them. said to last longer than sylvania's too... i had them on my corolla for over a year and they were still fine before I was forced to part ways with it.

I need to check real quick but I'm pretty sure my low and high beams are separate

Edit: Just went and checked, my lows and highs are separate. So should I just order two pairs of H7 and call it a day?

I went to their site, oh it's so complicated for my 9-5. I know what gen of estate it is (ys3e), but after that I'm so lost.

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-m-li/car-lights/car-selector-tool.html

Unless you can figure it out I'm so lost

Apparently my vehicle doesn't exist to them, lmao.

philips lightbulb site.png

nah im good. I like my torsen xD and coilovers are expensive. so nah we're fine 

ES is great... like I said. Plus explaining to people that i swapped to a viscous would probably cause arguments followed by people under my car taking my diff apart to make sure LOL

have pics endorsed by a notary public, signed by a mechanic with a phone number they can call and verify  xD

lol, that'd be hilarious...

somewhat off topic, I'm returning my Fox setup and getting Ohlins

1 minute ago, warmmilk said:

have pics endorsed by a notary public, signed by a mechanic with a phone number they can call and verify  xD

lol, that'd be hilarious...

somewhat off topic, I'm returning my Fox setup and getting Ohlins

so you didn't like the fox setup? Wow. first time I heard that.

Hey, you're 0 out of 2 on flyin miata? You didn't like the brake kit and now you say that you don't like the fox shocks/struts whatever they are

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

@RevoltTrain here's what you need. H7's right?

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Diamond-Vision-Halogen-Bulbs/dp/B007JZKBVW

Amazon says they're HIDs but IIRC, they're not. Correct @bcredeur97 they're just really good Halogens?

yes they are halogens. The deep blue color of the bulb lenses makes them look like those el cheapo "blue halogens" in the scam aisle at autozone but supposedly they are just very white, even whiter than the crystal vision ultras. 

I haven't tried those. I can only vouch for the crystalvisions, but if someone wants to try them, go for it.

Spoiler

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

so you didn't like the fox setup? Wow. first time I heard that.

Hey, you're 0 out of 2 on flyin miata? You didn't like the brake kit and now you say that you don't like the fox shocks/struts whatever they are

Fox setup was great on track but way to stiff on the road.  I test drove a local NC with Ohlins with 125lb stiffer front springs and 50lb softer rear springs than my fox setup and it rides soooooo much nicer.  its actually street driveable again, drives close to how my evo did on stock suspension as far as comfort goes.

brakes aren't an FM thing, its just a standard Wilwood kit.   FM has a kit that uses Wilwood calipers and stock rotors, but thats not what I have