Waterproof DSLR camera?

Are there water resistant DSLR cameras?

perhaps the kind that can be used in light rain.

15 minutes ago, Ruwaaid said:

Are there water resistant DSLR cameras?

perhaps the kind that can be used in light rain.

Nikon made a waterproof slr camera the Nikonos many years ago for underwater phoitography but many dslr have good weather proofing to handle light rain and you can buy cheap rain covers or use a shopping bag and some rubber bands.  typically with dslr cameras the higher end the model the better the weatherproofing but none of them are designed for under water work.  cameras like the canon 1D and Nikon D5 level cameras are designed to handle the worst sort of weather possible while the cheap low end models are built for maximum very light rain

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

Waterproof or water resistant? The higher models have some degree of water resistance, but none are what could be described as waterproof. I've used original gen Canon 7D in the rain before, and if allowed to soak in, the rear joystick started acting up. Also the lens was misting up internall (100-400L original version). Both fine after drying out afterwards. 

You can get plastic rain covers for them, but I can't be bothered as they get in the way. There are also waterproof enclosures people buy to take camera with them diving, but that would be overkill for rain.

Thinking more, there might have been a Pentax that was actually waterproofed as they tried to remain in the game, but I'm not even sure if they're really active any more.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

You can get plastic rain covers for them, but I can't be bothered as they get in the way.

minimum wage assistant or unpaid intern holding an umbrella for you xD or this

camera-umbrella-photographer-funny-pics.

nubrellafeat-800x420.jpg

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

cwprain.jpg.7d908fc16c38a8fbdce5728202135b84.jpg

This rain resulted in...

wetcam.jpg.5f620809262444b09bb3337542ee6964.jpg

...my camera getting a bit moist. I think this is the 7D2 with 70-300L. Note it looks bent as I took the photo with a compact camera I had with me, and it has some distortion artefacts

coldcanon.jpg.2cc81b235dc32905f44c132702829110.jpg.

A really old pic here... my 50D with 100-400L placed on a table while I was getting set up. The snow was a bit thicker than I thought it was.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

My a6000 have been in a lot of light rain and snow whitout failing even though its not reccomended by sony. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

Most dslrs can handle light rain fine, I carried my 350d, 50d and 5d3 through what would be considered quite bad weather, and even with a non weather sealed lens they were fine. There are tips to avoid condensation build up, although I never have personally had an issue, when moving between environments with extreme temperature difference, i.e. outside in the snow vs. inside etc. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

The majority of enthusiast level and above DSLRs offer weather sealing which offers a level of protection against light rain or snow. As mentioned above, the fewer the digits in the camera name, the better the weather sealing is where 1DX II can withstand heavy pelting rain whereas the also weathersealed 80D might die if you took it out in moderate rain. The same applied for the Nikon line of cameras. As far as I am aware the sony lineup also features weather sealing on their enthusiast to pro models where the A7 range and A9 cameras will have better sealing than their a6xx range. Another thing to take into consideration is the lens as often the weakest link In a weather seal would be the lens. For Canon cameras, some weather sealed lenses you can get would be the L series, Sigma's ART and probably a few more series I've forgotten. Do note Sigma EX series lenses are not weather sealed. 

Also, be aware that regardless of how much emphasis manufacturers place on weather sealing and junk like environmentally hardened, I am not aware of any manufacturer whose warranties covers water damage, not even GoPro.

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

The best weather sealing in the dslr world is probably Pentax. if you look around you can find tons of videos if people literally showering with them, dragging them through mud, covering them in sand, dust and dirt, and still shooting like it was in a clean room. 

Example