Best Power Meter?

Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,
Just now, a.ron.a said:

i just wanted to know if someone could recommend me a good power meter, a budget one would be nice (30$ or lower, or just one thats over but works well)

When you say "power meter", are you looking for an outlet power measurement meter, that measures current power readings on a particular load?

If so, the "Kill-a-watt" meters are probably the most popular among computer folks:

Their standard entry level model is around $20 USD

https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1519965402&sr=8-3&keywords=kill-a-watt&dpID=41jXOUcM37L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

i just wanted to know if someone could recommend me a good power meter, a budget one would be nice (30$ or lower, or just one thats over but works well)

Just now, a.ron.a said:

Like a multimeter?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Just now, a.ron.a said:

When you say "power meter", are you looking for an outlet power measurement meter, that measures current power readings on a particular load?

If so, the "Kill-a-watt" meters are probably the most popular among computer folks:

https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1519965402&sr=8-3&keywords=kill-a-watt&dpID=41jXOUcM37L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, straight_stewie said:

Like a multimeter?

not quite

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

thank you so much this is what i have been looking for

scouter.png.e05f3f3c1262636ea63e57f75569da10.png 

(only because the question's already been answered, lol)

• 7 months later...

two dead kill a watt for dummies after a year just plugged in to wall.  got them $15 each. 

saw these meters on the ltt show, anybody know what they are?

power meter linus tech tips.PNG

My Rigs (past and present)

On 3/1/2018 at 8:55 PM, Canada EH said:

Kill A Watt is the best one, everyone uses it

Kill-A-Watt is NOT the best one.  That's shitty advice.

If you want "the best" consumer grade AC power meter, you need to use a Brand meter:  http://www.brandelectronics.com/

Saying Kill-A-Watt is the best is like saying WalMart brand American Cheese is the best cheese.

2 hours ago, stevv said:

two dead kill a watt for dummies after a year just plugged in to wall.  got them $15 each. 

saw these meters on the ltt show, anybody know what they are?

power meter linus tech tips.PNG

NOT Kill-A-Watts because Kill-A-Watt is shit. They're $15 for a reason.  You use them once to see what your power draw is on average then throw them away.  The power meters built into APC UPSs are better than they are.

18 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

NOT Kill-A-Watts because Kill-A-Watt is shit. They're $15 for a reason.  You use them once to see what your power draw is on average then throw them away.  The power meters built into APC UPSs are better than they are.

No offense, but you're not exactly an objective third party.

Kill-A-Watt meters might not be the absolute best, but they aren't garbage. If your product is better, please convince us why yours is better, and not trash talk a competitor.

My Kill-A-Watt meter works great every time I use it. Every experience I've heard from others mirrors my own experience. They aren't commercial grade - and I definitely wouldn't recommend an Electrician use one for industrial use, for example, but for consumer grade, they're quite fine.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

19 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

No offense, but you're not exactly an objective third party.

Kill-A-Watt meters might not be the absolute best, but they aren't garbage. If your product is better, please convince us why yours is better, and not trash talk a competitor.

My Kill-A-Watt meter works great every time I use it. Every experience I've heard from others mirrors my own experience. They aren't commercial grade - and I definitely wouldn't recommend an Electrician use one for industrial use, for example, but for consumer grade, they're quite fine.

Umm... I don't have "a product" so how am I not an objective third party?  "My product"??? What the fuck are you going on about?  I work for Brand now????

I have no horse in this race.  I've just used lots of products over the 20+ years I've needed to use ACCURATE power meters to measure power consumption on the AC side of a PSU.  And when a Kill-A-Watt doesn't die, I find the readings very inaccurate when compared with professional equipment.

I personally use more professional equipment like Chroma, SunMoon, IDRC, etc.  I don't mean to brag because I don't expect end users to fork over hundreds or thousands of dollars on a power meter.  I also don't expect people to assume that a $15 power meter is accurate or a long term solution.  The Brand meter is the best "in between" that's out there.  It's not shit like the Kill-A-Watt, but it won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Furthermore, you can get a version of the Brand meter that has data logging.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Thing is, one of my Powermeters was like 6,95€ from an Electronics "Dollar Store".  They don't seem to have that model right now and it seems reasonable. And also we have a Brennstuhl BM231E for like 10€.

I'm kinda surprised that those things are that expensive oO

And the Prices I mentioned are with VAT...

Maybe because here you can (almost) get a Powermeter in a decent Super Market?

Here Review:

https://www.computerbase.de/2014-05/strommessgeraete-marktueberblick-test/3/

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

36 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Umm... I don't have "a product" so how am I not an objective third party?  "My product"??? What the fuck are you going on about?  I work for Brand now????

You're listed as an Industry Affiliate - apologies, I assumed you worked for Brand. I have no idea who you are or what company/brand you represent.

Also, you need to chill. I made a mistake assuming you worked for the company - that's on me. But you came in here making extremely aggressive posts trash talking a device that many of us have used before with good experiences.

I have no horse in this race.  I've just used lots of products over the 20+ years I've needed to use ACCURATE power meters to measure power consumption on the AC side of a PSU.  And when a Kill-A-Watt doesn't die, I find the readings very inaccurate when compared with professional equipment.

Can you elaborate? How much variance are we talking here? Was this variance on all measurements, or just specific ones (Eg: amperage)? I'd like to know more.

I personally use more professional equipment like Chroma, SunMoon, IDRC, etc.  I don't mean to brag because I don't expect end users to fork over hundreds or thousands of dollars on a power meter.  I also don't expect people to assume that a $15 power meter is accurate or a long term solution.  The Brand meter is the best "in between" that's out there.  It's not shit like the Kill-A-Watt, but it won't cost you an arm and a leg.

How much does a typical entry level Brand meter go for?

Furthermore, you can get a version of the Brand meter that has data logging.

Interesting, and useful for some - but not a feature I would consider essential for consumer use.

Yes. I'm an industry affiliate, meaning I'm an affiliate for a similar product of every product mentioned in every thread posted on these forums..... Huh?

A number of us have used Kill-A-Watts with DC loads only to find that the load at the wall was being reported as lower than the DC load.  Obviously, this is impossible. We can only hope for free energy perpetual motion devices, but we're not going to find them in every day electronics.

The Kill-A-Watt is good for a "round about idea" of what your power consumption is.  But even a simple DMM can tell you how off they are:  

If the product lasts more than a year, GREAT!  IF you want something with any kind of accuracy, look elsewhere.

On 10/3/2018 at 12:41 PM, dalekphalm said:

You're listed as an Industry Affiliate - apologies, I assumed you worked for Brand. I have no idea who you are or what company/brand you represent.

Jon works for Corsair as the Director of PSU engineering, he uses this equipment every day :)

Also, you need to chill. I made a mistake assuming you worked for the company - that's on me. But you came in here making extremely aggressive posts trash talking a device that many of us have used before with good experiences.

Jon isn't known for being soft, or particularly polite for that matter...

On 10/3/2018 at 1:49 PM, jonnyGURU said:

Yes. I'm an industry affiliate, meaning I'm an affiliate for a similar product of every product mentioned in every thread posted on these forums..... Huh?

TBF, you did come across a little shill-like, I know you don't work for Brand, but other don't know this :)

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen