30 FPS Limit on Laptop Battery Power

I just upgraded to a new laptop and, on battery power, all of my games are limited to 30 FPS. This new laptop is a HP Omen 15-CE015DX and has an i7-7700HQ, 8GB RAM, and a GTX 1050 Ti. I upgraded from a HP Omen 15t-AX200 with i7-7700HQ, 8GB RAM, and a GTX 1050.

On my old laptop, after changing a few settings, I got my games to run at 60 FPS on battery. Upon doing these same modifications to my new laptop, 60 FPS is still not possible on battery. When plugged in, it runs 60 FPS with no stutter.

List of things I've done:

1. Geforce Experience > Battery Boost Off
  2. Uninstalled Geforce Experience
  3. Windows 10 Settings > Battery Saver Off
  4. Control Panel > Max Performance Battery Plan
  5. Nvidia Control Panel > Power Management Mode: Prefer High Performance
  6. Intel Graphics Settings > Maximum Performance & Disable Power Saving Technology
  7. Gaming Settings > Game Bar Off & Game DVR Off
  8. Tried turning off HP Coolsense
  9. Uninstalled Omen Command Center
  10. Uninstalling most of the junk included
  11. I changed a couple other things as well

Is there anything I'm overlooking? I will update this list with things people suggest that I've tried, and will update if someone suggests something that works for future reference.

UPDATE: I believe it is related to the 1050 ti, because upon changing the settings to use integrated graphics, the games would run at more than 30 FPS (but not 60, likely due to how weak integrated is compared to the 1050 ti).

UPDATE 2: I reinstalled Geforce Experience and set Battery Boost to off. I then installed the newest drivers available (I set the update to clean install). Now my games are running at 60 FPS on battery with some weird stutter on battery that isn't present when plugged. I'll continue to experiment and update this post.

The specs of my HP Omen Laptop (now my main PC):

i7-7700HQ

8GB RAM

GTX 1050 ti

256GB Samsung 970 Evo + 1TB HDD

it may be worth double checking GeForce Experience, it likes top turn settings back on.  another option is to try removing it entirely.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

10 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

it may be worth double checking GeForce Experience, it likes top turn settings back on.  another option is to try removing it entirely.

Tried the settings again to no solution, then uninstalled with no solution.

i7-7700HQ

8GB RAM

GTX 1050 ti

4 minutes ago, UnlimitedEternity said:

Tried the settings again to no solution, then uninstalled with no solution.

whats the model of laptop?

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

2 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

whats the model of laptop?

HP Omen 15-CE015DX, and the one from which I upgraded was the HP Omen 15t-AX200.

i7-7700HQ

8GB RAM

GTX 1050 ti

48 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Hardware performance is limited on a battery by design, as batteries cannot safely discharge enough power to fully power the components.

My older Omen with a 1050 ran the same games on the same settings at 60 FPS on battery no problems.

i7-7700HQ

8GB RAM

GTX 1050 ti

20 minutes ago, UnlimitedEternity said:

My older Omen with a 1050 ran the same games on the same settings at 60 FPS no problems.

Could be different bios limitations.

13 hours ago, UnlimitedEternity said:

My older Omen with a 1050 ran the same games on the same settings at 60 FPS on battery no problems.

Okay, found a hint.

If you have GFE installed, there's an option called Battery Boost that forces a frame rate cap of 30 FPS.

• 1 year later...
On 2/28/2018 at 4:47 PM, Mira Yurizaki said:

Okay, found a hint.

If you have GFE installed, there's an option called Battery Boost that forces a frame rate cap of 30 FPS.

Thanks!!! I was looking for the setting, but so many people don't even bother with an actual response and just use the stupid "the battery can't output enough power" explanation that is just bullshit, because FPS is the worst possible metric to measure power consumption. If there is anything at all related to battery performance, it will be limited by the GPU's power consumption, not the rate at which it pumps frames. Thanks for posting this here, I was looking all over Nvidia control panel and couldn't find anything.

52 minutes ago, pauliunas said:

Thanks!!! I was looking for the setting, but so many people don't even bother with an actual response and just use the stupid "the battery can't output enough power" explanation that is just bullshit, because FPS is the worst possible metric to measure power consumption. If there is anything at all related to battery performance, it will be limited by the GPU's power consumption, not the rate at which it pumps frames. Thanks for posting this here, I was looking all over Nvidia control panel and couldn't find anything.

While it's true that FPS isn't solely a way to measure power consumption, if FPS is being limited you only have three reasons why:

• Thermal throttling
  • Voltage limit
  • Power limit

Batteries have a continuous discharge rate that's considered safe. Anything more will start to compromise its endurance or other safety issues. So if you're trying to run the hardware hard and that battery can only provide so much power, you're going to run into a power limit.