Amidst all this crashing nonsense...

With everyone freaking out about price dropping and what not(opinions/theories), there come the silver lining for all of us proud nvidia fans that just haven't gotten around to grabbing a amd card for mining yet. Cudaminer just released and update with tweaked kernels and cuda 5.5 implementation. This is said to increase performance when mining by anywhere from 10-40% for nvidia gpus.

Here's the link for the update:

bit.ly/1ehCzfB

And I can also verify that the update is totally worth it since it took my MSI 660 ti PE from 220 khash/s to 290 khash/s albeit now I am running about 6 degrees warmer.

Huge improvement. Check out the spreadsheet for optimal settings per card and check out page 78 of the thread where the dev recommends a few settings for common cards per the new update.

My settings are

-H 2 -I 0 K14x8

And running around 64 degrees with ambient temp of 23C or 73F

Now bring on the amd hate! :P

EDIT: this post is in regards to LTC not BTC

Sounds like a great improvement.

I'm not a mining expert or anything like that but don't Radeon cards still perform much better even with the update?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I'm not a mining expert or anything like that but don't Radeon cards still perform much better even with the update?

Yea a pretty great improvement for nvidia miners.

well amd cards dont use cuda for mining I believe they use opengl instead which is much much faster I just haven't gotten around to buying one...and they aren't ever in stock.

Plus if you have an amd card and using cuda miner your doing it wrong...all wrong...

As far as I know mining was exclusively using OpenCL before which AMD got around a 50% better performance for then Nvidia GPUs… So with a 10-40% increase in performance for Nvidia it should still be anything from 10-40% still to go in order to match AMD  :unsure: Correct me if I am wrong though! :)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Forgot to mention this was meant as a LTC mining improvement not BTC.

Scrypt>SHA256

Thanks for the post I just downloaded it and wow I went from 210 to 290 but like you it is 6 degrees hotter

Thanks for the post I just downloaded it and wow I went from 210 to 290 but like you it is 6 degrees hotter

Yea and I noticed that my over clock isn't as high as it should be. Normally its pinned at 1256 MHz but with the update I'm at 1156 for whatever reason and a 108% tdp when normally I'm at 95%

I'm on the forum asking for peoples thoughts about it right now actually.

How about you?

Yea and I noticed that my over clock isn't as high as it should be. Normally its pinned at 1256 MHz but with the update I'm at 1156 for whatever reason and a 108% tdp when normally I'm at 95%

I'm on the forum asking for peoples thoughts about it right now actually.

How about you?

ya when when the temperature goes up the oc goes down same for me  I went from 1306 to 1254

ya when when the temperature goes up the oc goes down same for me I went from 1306 to 1254

Yea but I've been gaming and mining at 70c before and it hasn't throttled me so I'm wondering if it has to do with cuda 5.5 or something else in the new update. Glad to know I'm not alone haha

wow, now I'm hitting 400Kh/s with my GTX 780 instead of 360Kh/s, that's 10% more.

Edit: After tweaking it more, I'm getting 460Kh/s!!! (+28%)

I've tweaked my settings with my 660 ti to get 315 khash still without full over clock. The dev also noted that he is going to work on the insane heat increase.

wow, now I'm hitting 400Kh/s with my GTX 780 instead of 360Kh/s, that's 10% more.

Edit: After tweaking it more, I'm getting 460Kh/s!!! (+28%)

Its still weird that a 7950 gets 650kh/s and a 780 around half +

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Its still weird that a 7950 gets 650kh/s and a 780 around half +

Time to get used to it ;)

Still obviously getting a few 280x once they get in stock but its a very nice boost