Can I do this with NAS drives?

Ripper7620

When I build my NAS to be used with FreeNas, I plan to populate it with a total of 6 10TB WD Red NAS drives. Before I can build my NAS, I'm building a Threadripper 1950x build, and was planning on running 2 10TB WD Red NAS drives in raid 1. When I build my NAS I was going to transfer the data from the 2 10TB NAS drives into the NAS, wipe the 2 drives clean from the Threadripper build, and then finally incorporate the two drives into the NAS array. Will this work, or is this something that is not possible? Thank you in advance. 

You can do this, but depends on how you setup freenas. Im assuming your running raidz or raidz2 here, and if so you can't expand that, so you can't just add the 2 drives later. You can do this with mirrors if you want.

That will work fine. 

EDIT: Actually, it depends on how you want to add the drives into the NAS. If you want them to be added to a RAID array on the NAS, then it depends on the RAID type as not all of them can be expanded. 

If you're just wanting to add them in as individual drives or in RAID 1 on their own, that's fine. 

11 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can do this, but depends on how you setup freenas. Im assuming your running raidz or raidz2 here, and if so you can't expand that, so you can't just add the 2 drives later. You can do this with mirrors if you want.

I'll be running Z2 in FreeNas, and I was going to start out with 4 10TB drives, and then add the other 2 after they've been wiped clean. 

14 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

That will work fine. 

EDIT: Actually, it depends on how you want to add the drives into the NAS. If you want them to be added to a RAID array on the NAS, then it depends on the RAID type as not all of them can be expanded. 

If you're just wanting to add them in as individual drives or in RAID 1 on their own, that's fine. 

Thank you very much, I appreciate it!

2 minutes ago, Ripper7620 said:

I'll be running Z2 in FreeNas, and I was going to start out with 4 10TB drives, and then add the other 2 after they've been wiped clean. 

you cant add drives to a raid z(yet), so that wont be happening.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

you cant add drives to a raid z(yet), so that wont be happening.

Ok, good to know, thank you very much! 

Looks like it would be best to build both the NAS and Threadripper build at the same time, and then skip doing a raid 1 configuration in the Threadripper build.