Cheap m.2 vs Sata SSD ?

NewBieDavid
Go to solution Solved by Septimus,
1 minute ago, NewBieDavid said:

Yeah I thought so aswel but I thought since I have an empty m.2 slot right here that I would use it as a boot drive and maybe later an SSD for mass storage when i get some extra money

Well then, considering you have an M.2 slot on your current motherboard, I see no reason to not go with the M.2 drive instead of the SATA one, as long as it isn't more expensive.

Hello,

I'm been running my PC on an old WD HDD that is always maxed out and planning to purchase an SSD and I have too many choices..
My first option was the MX500 (oh and I'm going for 240gb) 
Second is 275GB Crucial MX300 m.2 Which seems to be almost same price as the Mx500
240WD green M.2 (Prices exactly as the MX500)
And ofcourse the Samsung 960 evo that is 30 bucks more expensive than the rest..
the main reason for upgrading is not only for a couple of games but I wanna get into editing and people warned me not to with an old HDD

Which options makes the most sense and is the samsung M.2 drive worth to invest into ? 

If it's cheaper, go SATA. It's not really worth the jump in price for the extra performance it yields. Either way, the Crucial MX300 is much faster than the WD Green M.2 drive.

2 minutes ago, Septimus said:

If it's cheaper, go SATA. It's not really worth the jump in price for the extra performance it yields. Either way, the Crucial MX300 is much faster than the WD Green M.2 drive.

how about compared to the newer MX500 ?
my main question is that is the m.2 worth it 

2 minutes ago, NewBieDavid said:

how about compared to the newer MX500 ?
my main question is that is the m.2 worth it 

M.2 is a form factor, just like 2.5" and 3.5" drives. M.2 drives are not always faster, and for the sake of having something more compatible I would recommend SATA, and you also don't have to bother with finding a board that has an M.2 slot. The Crucial MX500 has both M.2 and 2.5" form factors, and they have the exact same speeds, so, case in point.

Anyhow, as far as the MX500 vs MX300 goes, I would recommend the MX500 if it isn't too much more expensive, as it is quite a bit faster.

1 minute ago, Septimus said:

M.2 is a form factor, just like 2.5" and 3.5" drives. M.2 drives are not always faster, and for the sake of having something more compatible I would recommend SATA, and you also don't have to bother with finding a board that has an M.2 slot. The Crucial MX500 has both M.2 and 2.5" form factors, and they have the exact same speeds, so, case in point.

Anyhow, as far as the MX500 vs MX300 goes, I would recommend the MX500 if it isn't too much more expensive, as it is quite a bit faster.

Yeah I thought so aswel but I thought since I have an empty m.2 slot right here that I would use it as a boot drive and maybe later an SSD for mass storage when i get some extra money

1 minute ago, NewBieDavid said:

Well then, considering you have an M.2 slot on your current motherboard, I see no reason to not go with the M.2 drive instead of the SATA one, as long as it isn't more expensive.

1 minute ago, Septimus said:

Yeah I guess i'll either go with the mx300 or be extra flashy and go for the 960 evo if I had the money and I know it's not THAT necessary but still why not (spoiler alert I will most likely not have enough but hey hopes up XD)

23 minutes ago, Septimus said:

quite a bit faster

MX500 is noticeably faster in heavy loads and random performance. It has better latency too.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

2 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

MX500 is noticeably faster in heavy loads and random performance. It has better latency too.

Sata or m.2 version ?

Edit* I just realized there is only a Sata version