PC Unexpectedly shutsdown EXACTLY every 30min!

Zeruel

So.....

My PC just decided to shutdown every 30 minutes EXACTLY.

I've already watched the time several times.

Also previously to this issue I was experiencing ME FW update failures (plus downgrade spinlock issues) when I would start my PC. My PC would hang and throw various error code before rebooting itself several times to Windows. 

My Specs

PU - i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz
MotherBoard - Republic of Gamers Maximus 6 Formula
RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133Mhz
GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 980
PSU - Corsair AX1200i
Case - Corsair Obsidian 900D
SSD - Samsung 850 Pro 2TB
HDD - WD Black 2TB
Mouse - Asus ROG Spatha
Keyboard - Asus ROG Gk2000 HORUS
Headset - Astro A50s
Webcam - Logitech HD C920 1080p
Monitor 1 - ROG Swift PG278Q 144Hz 1440P G - Sync
Monitor 2 - BENQ XL2420T 120Hz 1080P

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I've done...

Fresh Windows Install(Good bye steam library on 2TB SSD)

BIOS Reflashing: 1603 to 1603 to 1505 

Turned off all overclocks

What I will do...

Swap GPU and PSU into my brothers PC which uses a corsair PSU and has no GPU.

I ordered a new BIOS chip for $15 just in case. 

Positives 

AX1200i has a 10 year warranty

New BIOS chip is cheap.

Will update!

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

If it's like clockwork then my bet is on the motherboard. Have you tried clearing the CMOS? If yes, can you look for a similar board to check your components in?

Some settings in the mobo? I mean, exactly 30mins is freaky. Do you remove all the settings when you reinstall Windows?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Is your Windows installation legit and not pirated and also properly activated? 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

15 minutes ago, NMS said:

If it's like clockwork then my bet is on the motherboard. Have you tried clearing the CMOS? If yes, can you look for a similar board to check your components in?

Yes, I've used the clear CMOS button on my MB various times. Gonna use my brothers PC tomorrow! 

13 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Some settings in the mobo? I mean, exactly 30mins is freaky. Do you remove all the settings when you reinstall Windows?

I started fresh with a downgraded bios. 

10 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Is your Windows installation legit and not pirated and also properly activated? 

I got Windows 8 through my school in 2013 then did the free upgrade to windows 10. Even fresh installed straight from windows 10 once before. It was all legit and activated. It just started having these issues in the past two months. 

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

30 minutes after boot or twice every hour at set times?

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

30 minutes ... Intel motherboards shut down after exactly 30 minutes if there's an issue with the Intel Management Engine. 

If the IME chip is dead or if you tried to disable it, that could very well be the issue.  Sadly there is no fix for that.  The IME chip cannot be replaced.

Would the IME disabling patch fix that?

[edit]

I know all Google knows all. The Republic of Gamers Maximus 6 Formula motherboard has an IME bios bug with 4 series CPUs (apparently).

Patching/bios updating may be difficult, may need a different CPU (like the old Intel bios updates did, or the current Ryzen ones do).

Best post on the ASUS forum/customer support tickets! Hope they can help further!

My SpidyTechSense wins again! ;)

[edit]

Though IIRC some Windows services will also cause this if they have been disabled by mistake.

[Last edit]

My OCD meant I could not leave this without finding the thread for you. As your CPU is not a 4790k, I am not sure if it still applies to the 4770k... but worth a check (don't bios update unless you know for certain how to do it, and are safe doing so!): https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48855-Must-Do-s-for-making-4790K-work-with-Maximus-VI-Motherboards&highlight=Maximus+VI

17 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

30 minutes ... Intel motherboards shut down after exactly 30 minutes if there's an issue with the Intel Management Engine. 

If the IME chip is dead or if you tried to disable it, that could very well be the issue.  Sadly there is no fix for that.  The IME chip cannot be replaced.

Damn... Is the chip on the CPU or Motherboard? (I assume CPU)

1 hour ago, Zeruel said:

Is the chip on the CPU or Motherboard? (I assume CPU)

Motherboard. 

Seeing as you have already done just about all the troubleshooting you can do (BIOS update, fresh install), the new BIOS chip will be the decider.  If that solves it, great.  If it doesn't, you're going to spend quite a bit of time talking to ASUS support and will probably be without a working PC for a while (not that that's much worse than what you have now). 

PS, just realised (more google searching) ;)

Easy way to test if it is a Windows 10 shutdown timer (broken Windows) or a BIOS shutdown timer (the EMI).

Turn the PC on, and boot into the BIOS. Leave pc in the BIOS screen for 35 minutes. If it shuts down while in the BIOS, it is probably bios or hardware fault, and you can get ASUS support!

If it stays on for an hour or so, then try fixing Windows.