require suggestions for new monitor please

Mo Town

Hello, 

Just joined to get some advice from those that will definitely know a lot more about monitors(well, everything about computers) then myself, I apologise in advance if this has been asked xxx times previously.

Background: I've recently come back to PC gaming in the last few years as I now have time at nights to sit back and play for a few hours each night (the kids are now a bit older).  I still have a Asus 980gtx which I don't think I would be upgrading until much later this year (2018).  The games I play are TF2, Overwatch, Pubg and Divinity 2.

I have upgraded the majority of my PC over the last year but I still have my old Asus 22" 720p (!!!) monitor which I purchased about 10 years ago.  The monitor is fine however I think I seriously need to upgrade this item ASAP.

I have tried looking at monitor suggestions online but this has just led to a lot of confusion, so I have come here.  From discussions with some friends, they tend to think I would be better off with a 1080p 144hz monitor which I think is based on similar monitors they currently use.

I'm not sure if you require more info than this to help provide recommendations but would definitely like to hear from people about which monitor I should be purchasing in 2018.

appreciate your comments in advance.

thanks.

What do you want to do?

ive used $6 monitors from goodwill, $200 workstation ones and CRTs and to me there all the same

IF you do basic stuff, the cheapest one you can find will work

If you want to game, Still a cheap one with work

It comes down to what your going to do and if your real picky about image quality 

Best of myself(1000th post)

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Cooler Master masterbox lite 3.1

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

Dell precision t3400 motherboard

I only use the computer for gaming and the majority of those games are FPS..  I would like a monitor that I could use/keep for gaming for at least several years without having to upgrade again. 

I would be after a reliable brand which will give me decent image quality and for starters, be bigger than my current 22inch :)  24 or 27 would be ideal and would like to hear suggestions on monitors which could be considered 'best value for money' if there is such a thing.  Hope this helps but to sum it up, the comp is just for gaming, majority of those games are FPS.  The video card is a 980gtx which I will most likely keep until the last quarter of this year.